EPL

Arteta asks for consistency from Arsenal trio after Jesus blow

By Sports Desk December 30, 2022

Mikel Arteta wants Gabriel Martinelli, Bukayo Saka and Eddie Nketiah to put together a consistent run to help Premier League leaders Arsenal cope with Gabriel Jesus' absence.

The trio all scored in Arsenal's 3-1 win over West Ham on Boxing Day, and the Gunners are now certain to end 2022 at the top of the table after building a five-point lead over Manchester City.

Jesus was ruled out for three months after suffering a knee injury during the World Cup, in what could prove a blow to their title hopes.

Ahead of Saturday's trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, Arteta demanded that Martinelli, Saka and Nketiah keep the standards high.

"It's just one game. They have to show the consistency and the capacity to do that every three days," Arteta said in a press conference.

"That's what we need from the players. Obviously we had a big blow with Gabi, and not having him had a big impact on the team.

"We always said Eddie had the quality and he just needed the opportunities to show that.

"We are really happy with where we are, but as I always said, there are a lot of things we can still do better and improve."

Meanwhile, Arteta expects to have another attacking option available soon, revealing Emile Smith Rowe is closing in on a return from the groin injury he suffered in September.

"He's made some big steps in the last week or so, he took part in a few training sessions lately and is looking good," Arteta said.

"We are really keen to have him back soon."

The Gunners are locked in negotiations with Shakhtar Donetsk over a deal for Mykhaylo Mudryk, having reportedly had a £57million (€64.4m) bid for the winger rejected.

Shakhtar director Carlo Nicolini said the Ukrainian team expect to receive a fee closer to £100m (€113.2m) for the 21-year-old, who has been touted as a future Ballon d'Or candidate by Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi, his former coach.

However, Arteta was reluctant to discuss the potential transfer, saying: "I can't talk about players that aren't at Arsenal."

Related items

  • Borussia Dortmund 4-0 Darmstadt: Reus stars in farewell game Borussia Dortmund 4-0 Darmstadt: Reus stars in farewell game

    Marco Reus scored and assisted in his final Bundesliga game for Borussia Dortmund as they thrashed already-relegated Darmstadt 4-0. 

    The German teed up Ian Maatsen for the opener on the half-hour mark before scoring a stunning free-kick eight minutes later to put Dortmund in control.

    Donyell Malen scored his 13th goal of the season to round things off after substitute Julian Brandt had latched onto Jadon Sancho's ball for a third.

    Dortmund could have had more as Reus, Malen and Marcel Sabitzer struck the woodwork in either half, but it did not matter as Darmstadt struggled to show a threat.

    Edin Terzic's side finished fifth in the final Champions League spot, while Darmstadt are relegated as the bottom club. 

    Data Debrief:

    Reus has been directly involved in 251 goals in the Bundesliga (156G 95A in 391 games), making him just the third player to reach 250 goals and assists since his Bundesliga debut in August 2009, behind Thomas Müller 318 and Robert Lewandowski 367.

    The German bids farewell to Signal Iduna Park having scored nine goals and assisting seven in all competitions this season, though he will be hoping to add to that tally in his final match for Dortmund - the Champions League final against Real Madrid on June 1.

  • Brighton confirm surprise departure of De Zerbi Brighton confirm surprise departure of De Zerbi

    Roberto De Zerbi will leave Brighton after the Seagulls' final game of the season against Manchester United on Sunday.

    Brighton confirmed the surprising news on Saturday, revealing that the club and the Italian coach had mutually agreed to part company.

    De Zerbi enjoyed great success in his first season with Brighton, guiding the club to Europe for the first time in their history after he took over from Graham Potter, who had left to join Chelsea.

    Brighton had a strong start to 2023-24, but a series of injuries to key players left them depleted and, though they made it through their Europa League group, which also included heavyweights Ajax and Marseille, they were subsequently knocked out by Roma.

    Their form in the Premier League has also dropped off, with Brighton managing just four wins since the turn of the year, and ahead of Sunday's meeting with United, the highest they can finish is 10th.

    In fact, across their first 19 Premier League matches this season, Brighton were the fifth-highest scorers in the Premier League (38 goals) and had a conversion rate of 13.3 per cent.

    However, in their last 18 games since the turn of the year, only Everton (15) have scored fewer goals than the Seagulls (17), with their conversion rate of 6.6 per cent the worst of any side in this time.

    De Zerbi was linked with taking over at Liverpool following Jurgen Klopp's departure, but the Reds have instead turned to Feyenoord's Arne Slot.

    Brighton chairman Tony Bloom said: "Roberto has given us two excellent seasons of service in which he has led the club to new heights, not least our first ever European campaign which will live long in the memory of Albion fans.

    "We have mutually agreed to end Roberto’s contract at a time that suits both parties allowing us the earliest opportunity to plan for next season, and Roberto plenty of time to consider his next move and his future.

    "I am sure our fans will give Roberto and his staff a wonderful and fully deserved send-off. In the meantime, I'd like to thank Roberto and his staff for all their hard work in the past two seasons. They all leave our club on good terms and with our very best wishes for the future."

    De Zerbi said: "I am very sad to be leaving Brighton, but I am very proud of what my players and staff have achieved with the support of everyone at the club and our amazing fans in the past two historical seasons.

    "We have agreed to end my time at Brighton so that the club and I can continue to work in the way that suits each of us best, following our own ideas and visions, as well as our work and human values.

    "I have really enjoyed an intense and challenging two years working in the Premier League, not least competing in four major competitions this season. Leaving now provides me with time to take a break before deciding on my future plans."

  • Al-Nassr 1-1 Al-Hilal: Mitrovic scores last-gasp penalty Al-Nassr 1-1 Al-Hilal: Mitrovic scores last-gasp penalty

    Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a penalty in the 10th minute of second-half stoppage time as Al-Hilal denied Cristiano Ronaldo's Al-Nassr victory in a 1-1 draw.

    Mitrovic netted his 27th Saudi Pro League goal of the campaign after Sadio Mane was harshly judged to have fouled Saud Abdulhamid in the area.

    Mane stuck out an arm to shield the ball, catching his opponent in the throat, though the contact appeared to have been outside of the box.

    Mitrovic made no mistake to keep Al-Hilal's unbeaten campaign going.

    The Serbian's spot-kick cancelled out Otavio's first-minute opener, with Ronaldo having set up his compatriot.

    Champions Al-Hilal remain 12 points clear of Al-Nassr at the summit of the Pro League standings.

    Data Debrief: Ronaldo the provider

    Ronaldo leads the scoring charts in Saudi Arabia this season, though he had to settle for an assist on Friday.

    That came from the only chance he created, with the 39-year-old limited to 25 touches, though he did have four shots.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.