Sergi Roberto boost for Barcelona

By Sports Desk December 05, 2022

A fully fit Sergi Roberto was among a small group of Barcelona players who returned to training on Monday.

The versatile 30-year-old has not played since dislocating his left shoulder after scoring in Barca's 4-0 thrashing of Athletic Bilbao in October.

Sergio Roberto was cleared to train at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper over three weeks before the Blaugrana are back in action against Espanyol on December 31.

Defender Ronald Araujo also reported for training to continue his recovery from a groin injury that prevented him from playing for Uruguay in the World Cup.

Franck Kessie was also out on the pitch as he works his way back a hamstring injury.

Midfielder Kessie has been linked with Inter, Tottenham, Aston Villa and Fulham just five months after joining the Catalan giants from Milan on a free transfer.

Hector Bellerin, Marcos Alonso and Inaki Pena trained following a fortnight off while many of their team-mates were at the World Cup.

Head coach Xavi will welcome back more players who are no longer playing in the tournament in Qatar later this week.

Related items

  • Wiegman 'won't push' Mead as injured England superstar targets World Cup return Wiegman 'won't push' Mead as injured England superstar targets World Cup return

    Sarina Wiegman is not making any early call on Beth Mead's involvement in this year's Women's World Cup.

    Mead won the Player of the Tournament award and the Golden Boot as England celebrated an historic triumph at their home Women's Euro 2022.

    The Arsenal striker also finished in second place in last year's Ballon d'Or Feminin voting and would have a key role to play for Wiegman's Lionesses in Australia and New Zealand in July.

    But Mead's status ahead of the finals is uncertain as she continues her recovery from an ACL tear in November.

    As Wiegman named her latest England squad on Tuesday, she was asked if consideration had been given to plans that did not include Mead.

    But featuring at the World Cup remains a target for the 27-year-old.

    "It's a little early to say. I don't want to push it. She's had so many things going on," Wiegman said of Mead, whose mother died last year from ovarian cancer.

     

    "We'll see how her rehabilitation goes, then we'll look at the future. I don't want her to look too far forward right now because of her situation.

    "She had of course other private issues. I left the knee situation until now as I just wanted her to be okay and get settled with the situation and sadness she had around her.

    "She told me she's doing well. She really wants to make [the World Cup]. First, she needs to settle and we will see from there. For now, I won't push that."

  • Ancelotti suggests Spanish football has racism problem after Vinicius abused again Ancelotti suggests Spanish football has racism problem after Vinicius abused again

    Carlo Ancelotti suggested Spanish football has a "problem" with racism after Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior was abused again on Sunday.

    LaLiga launched an investigation on Monday after social media footage showed racist insults being directed at Vinicius during Madrid's 1-0 defeat at Real Mallorca on Sunday.

    The 22-year-old was subjected to racist abuse in both of Madrid's matches with city rivals Atletico Madrid this season, while LaLiga filed hate crime charges to Spanish courts after similar incidents in December's game with Real Valladolid.

    Vinicius accused LaLiga in December of "doing nothing" to combat racism, and his head coach feels Spanish football must face up to the issue.

    "The question I ask is this: What is the problem?" Ancelotti told reporters. "Vinicius? Vinicius' team-mates? What's the problem? To defend himself? What does Vinicius have to defend himself against? What do his team-mates have to defend themselves against? I don't know.

    "It seems like the problem is Vinicius, but the problem is what happens around him. Period.

    "It is a problem of Spanish football. I am a part of Spanish football and I think it's a problem that we have to solve. Because it seems that Vinicius is the culprit, but he is the victim of something that I don't understand."

    Federico Valverde defended Vinicius' exuberant playing style after he was fouled 10 times against Mallorca – the most by any Madrid player in a Spanish top-flight match since Isco against Real Betis in August 2013.

    Vinicius has won 79 fouls in LaLiga this season, 25 more than any other player, and Valverde feels Madrid's players must stand up for him to counter any opposition roughhouse tactics.

    "He is an incredible person, with a lot of values," Valverde said ahead of Madrid's Club World Cup semi-final against Egyptian side Al Ahly on Wednesday. "On the pitch, he tries to enjoy it, that's the way he is.

    "I always say that so many fouls on the pitch is part of the game, we have to defend him as team-mates.

    "Another thing is racism and what happens on the pitch, [there is] so much anger. He is a 22-year-old boy. I think Vinicius deserves respect."

  • Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile officially launch joint 2030 World Cup bid Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile officially launch joint 2030 World Cup bid

    World Cup holders Argentina have officially confirmed a joint bid alongside Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile to host the 2030 edition of the tournament.

    A bid from Argentina and Uruguay had initially been announced in 2017 but has since expanded.

    Uruguay hosted the inaugural World Cup in 1930 and would welcome the global showpiece for its centenary edition if successful.

    Speaking upon confirmation of the four-way bid, Argentine Football Association president Claudio Tapia laid out his hopes to bring the tournament back to the continent where it was first held.

    "We have the possibility of hosting this World Cup," he said. "It has the history, the essence, the passion with which we South Americans live football.

    "Today is a very important day for the history of these four countries, of these four federations that some time ago began with a dream

    "We know that this is a very big commitment and that we must show the world that Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile are up to the job of hosting the 2030 World Cup."

    CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez echoed those sentiments, adding: "Today we have a team, [and] we believe in greatness.

    "We are convinced that FIFA has the obligation to honour the memory of those who preceded us and made the first World Cup possible."

    There is scope yet for the bid to be bolstered by a fifth nation, with Argentina's president Alberto Fernandez adding that he hopes to see Bolivia also host games.

    "This candidacy is from the entire continent," he tweeted. "For this reason, I would like, and I am going to propose, that our brother country Bolivia be part of this dream."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.