Van Dijk confident Liverpool will thrive regardless of who owns the club

By Sports Desk December 04, 2022

Virgil van Dijk has complete confidence Liverpool will remain a force in world football regardless of who owns the Reds.

It was confirmed last month the club's Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are exploring the possibility of selling up or seeking outside investment as they aim to keep up with the Premier League's big spenders.

Reports suggest Liverpool are valued at an eye-watering £3.7billion with Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs said to be overseeing the process.

Van Dijk, speaking to reporters after helping the Netherlands defeat the United States 3-1 to reach the World Cup quarter-finals, says Liverpool will continue to thrive whoever is in charge at Anfield.

"I have full trust in Liverpool that they will be fine. We are a very established club, one of the biggest in the world and that will stay that way," he said.

"Whoever comes in to fill in those roles, they will do very well. I am aware of everything that is happening.

"Whether I am taking it in and doing something with it right now, I don't think so because the full focus is on the World Cup but hopefully everything will be sorted and clarified when I am back. At this point, I am definitely not thinking about it."

Liverpool struggled for consistency prior to the World Cup and sit sixth in the Premier League, 15 points off leaders Arsenal and seven back of Spurs in fourth.

They did win five of their six Champions League group-stage games but finished second behind Napoli on goal difference and face Real Madrid in the last 16 in a repeat of last season's final, which they lost 1-0.

Related items

  • Birmingham held by Rotherham as Steve Evans returns to Millers dugout Birmingham held by Rotherham as Steve Evans returns to Millers dugout

    Birmingham edged another point clear of the Championship relegation zone after being held 0-0 by already relegated Rotherham in a game which was held up by a medical emergency in the stands.

    The Blues were left frustrated by Rotherham, who had Steve Evans back in the dugout after his shock return from Stevenage midweek, and the stalemate left the visitors just two points clear of the bottom three with two games to play.

    Birmingham had a chance within the first two minutes when Keshi Anderson burst down the left flank and found Tyler Roberts at the backpost but his volley was off target.

    The match was stopped after nine minutes due to a medical emergency in the home stand, with paramedics rushed over to give treatment to a supporter.

    Referee Keith Stroud took the players off the field for more than 20 minutes and after the supporter was taken to hospital, the game resumed around 3.45pm.

    Anderson was again causing problems after the restart and he got a shot away which Viktor Johansson had to kick away for a corner.

    Rotherham’s Jordan Hugill then headed tamely at John Ruddy after Sebastian Revan had picked him out with a left-wing cross.

    The Millers were hit by two first-half injuries, with Cafu and Peter Kioso both having to be replaced.

    A strike from Oliver Rathbone from the edge of the box looked to be goal-bound but Krystian Bielik bravely put his head in the way.

    Birmingham brought Koji Miyoshi on to liven up their attack at the break and he almost made an instant impact when he cut inside and saw his shot diverted wide.

    A long ball to Jay Stansfield almost led to an opportunity but his touch was too heavy and it ran through into Johansson’s grasp.

    Stansfield thought he had given Birmingham the lead when he lashed in from Paik Seung-ho’s free-kick but it was ruled out for offside by the assistant referee.

    Arvin Appiah had a good opportunity to strike at the other end after he burst forward but his low shot was clung on to by Ruddy.

    Scott Hogan was brought on for the closing stages by interim boss Gary Rowett and he almost got on the end of Lee Buchanan’s near-post cross.

    Rotherham threatened to nick the points when the ball fell to Sam Nombe in the box but the record signing hooked over the chance.

    Miyoshi should really have grabbed the winner when he was found by Bielik on goal but his weak effort was kept out by Johansson.

    Birmingham survived a scare in added on time as Revan’s volley was beaten away by Ruddy.

  • Kyle Wootton nets brace as champions Stockport claim eighth successive win Kyle Wootton nets brace as champions Stockport claim eighth successive win

    Kyle Wootton’s double helped Stockport get their championship party up and running with a 4-2 home win against Accrington.

    County, who wrapped up the League Two title in midweek with victory at Notts County, recorded their eighth straight win with Connor Lemonheigh-Evans and Antoni Sarcevic also netting.

    Wootton struck County’s first goal after an opening nine minutes of total dominance, Louie Barry’s neat reverse pass allowing him to beat Radek Vitek at his near post.

    Accrington started to find their feet and went close through Jack Nolan, who fired narrowly wide after a searching ball from Tommy Leigh.

    Leigh was also involved in Accrington’s equaliser after 16 minutes. He found Shaun Whalley in space and the veteran forward sent a fierce finish into the top corner.

    However, Stockport led at the break thanks to Lemonheigh-Evans, who slid in to turn home Paddy Madden’s inch-perfect ball across the six-yard box.

    Both goalkeepers made important saves at around the hour mark, County’s Ben Hinchcliffe getting to Leigh’s speculative snapshot and Vitek out quickly to save when Lemonheigh-Evans homed in on goal.

    But Vitek was helpless in the 62nd minute when Wootton timed his run into the box to head in Myles Hippolyte’s cross from the left wing.

    Nolan gave Accrington hope when he made it 3-2 13 minutes from time with a long-range strike that seemed to deceive Hinchcliffe.

    Moments later Sarcevic dashed those hopes as he cashed in on an error in the Stanley defence to score the champions’ fourth.

  • It was crazy – Angus MacDonald goes through the wringer at Hampden It was crazy – Angus MacDonald goes through the wringer at Hampden

    Aberdeen’s stand-in captain Angus MacDonald reflected on a “crazy” Scottish Gas Scottish Cup semi-final defeat to Celtic at Hampden which saw him experience emotional extremes.

    The Dons led through an early Bojan Miovski goal but MacDonald’s mistake allowed Hoops striker Kyogo Furuhashi to race clear on goal, with Nicolas Kuhn finally levelling.

    Substitute James Forrest put Celtic ahead in the 63rd minute before Dons substitute Ester Sokler levelled in the 90th minute.

    Matt O’Riley fired Celtic ahead in extra time but MacDonald atoned for his costly earlier error when he headed in the leveller in the 119th minute to take the game to penalties.

    The 31-year-old former Barnsley, Hull and Rotherham defender scored his spot-kick and while Celtic keeper Joe Hart hit the post with the Hoops’ fifth penalty, he then saved from Killian Phillips to ensure a 6-5 shoot-out win and a final date on May 25 against Rangers or Hearts – Hart’s last game before his retirement from football.

    “I hold my hands up for the mistake because I gifted them a goal after 15 minutes,” said MacDonald.

    “But to score the equaliser in the last minute of extra time then score a penalty, it was crazy.

    “With the way the game had panned out I thought we’d go on to win it.

    “When I scored it was a great feeling, especially for my family. But it just wasn’t to be.

    “It’s 50-50 when it gets to penalties, isn’t it? The boys did well to get it that far and we had our chances to win it. On another day they would go in.

    “We are disappointed for the fans today because they have followed us everywhere this season.

    “We have to take the positives from the game, we can’t let our standards drop now.

    “We have five cup finals now and if we can cause those teams the problems we caused Celtic we’ll be fine.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.