EPL

Guardiola pens new Man City deal until 2025

By Sports Desk November 23, 2022

Pep Guardiola has signed a new two-year contract to extend his tenure as Manchester City manager until 2025.

Guardiola has enjoyed a hugely successful spell since taking over at the Etihad Stadium in 2016, winning four Premier League titles, as many EFL Cups, and the FA Cup once.

His City side have also come agonisingly close to winning the Champions League, reaching at least the quarter-final stage in each of the last five seasons and losing 1-0 to Chelsea in the 2020-21 final.

City supporters will hope the signing of striker Erling Haaland will be the final piece to the puzzle as Guardiola seeks to win Europe's elite club competition with City for the first time, having achieved it twice as Barcelona head coach.

With Guardiola's contract having previously been set to expire at the end of the 2022-23 campaign, there had been talk the 51-year-old may opt to leave, either in search of a new challenge or to go on a sabbatical period similar to the one he took after departing Barcelona.

But the Spaniard has decided to remain as City's boss and he spoke of his delight after putting pen to paper.

"I am so pleased to be staying at Manchester City for another two years," Guardiola told the club's website.

"I can't say thank you enough to everyone at the club for trusting me. I am happy and comfortable here. I have everything I need to do my job as best as possible.

"I know the next chapter of this club will be amazing for the next decade. It happened over the last 10 years, and it will happen in the next 10 years because this club is so stable.

"From day one I felt something special being here. I cannot be in a better place.

"I still have the feeling there is more we can achieve together and that is why I want to stay and continue fighting for trophies."

 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Chelsea to complete deal for Lyon right-back Gusto Rumour Has It: Chelsea to complete deal for Lyon right-back Gusto

    Chelsea's busy January is showing no signs of slowing down, despite landing five players already.

    The Blues, who are 10th in the Premier League, have brought in Mykhaylo Mudryk, Noni Madueke, Andrey Santos, David Datro Fofana and Benoit Badiashile during this window.

    Chelsea are 10 points behind fourth-placed Manchester United and desperate for a top-four finish to bring Champions League football back to Stamford Bridge.

    And another signing is now imminent.


    TOP STORY –  CHELSEA AGREE DEAL FOR LYON'S GUSTO

    Fabrizio Romano claims Chelsea have agreed to a deal with Lyon to sign right-back Malo Gusto.

    The 19-year-old will fly to London and undergo medical tests on Saturday, with the player to join the Blues in June 2023.

    Lyon will receive €30million plus add-ons and retain the player on loan for the remainder of the season.

    OL head coach Laurent Blanc had said the club's board guaranteed that he would remain with the club this season, with the loan solving that roadblock. 

    ROUND-UP

    Arsenal will make an improved offer for Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Moises Caicedo , according to The Telegraph. The Seagulls turned down Arsenal's initial £60m bid for the Ecuadorian, who took to social media to plead with the club to let him go.

    Atletico Madrid are back in for PSG defender Presnel Kimpembe , having been interested in him during the off-season, reports Le Parisien. Kimpembe, who is out of contract in mid-2024, may slip out of favour at PSG with the French champions pushing to sign Inter's Milan Skriniar.

    Real Madrid have ruled out an off-season transfer for West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice , according to The Daily Mail. The report claims Rice has "given his word" to Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta that he will join the Gunners next season.

    – Roma midfielder Nicolo Zaniolo has rejected a move to Premier League strugglers Bournemouth despite the club's board travelling to Italy, preferring Milan or Tottenham instead, claims Fabrizio Romano.

    – FootMercato claims PSG are readying a bid for Lyon's 19-year-old winger Rayan Cherki. PSG have previously tabled two bids for him.

    – Lyon are also set to lose 22-year-old Brazilian winger Tete who will join Leicester City until the end of the season, reports The Sun. West Ham, Brentford and Leeds United were also interested in Tete.

  • 'I'm not Harry Potter' – Rashford form 'just confidence' claims modest Ten Hag 'I'm not Harry Potter' – Rashford form 'just confidence' claims modest Ten Hag

    Marcus Rashford's scintillating form comes from "just confidence" and not the influence of Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, who joked: "I'm not Harry Potter".

    The England international scored his 18th goal of the season amid a routine 3-0 EFL Cup semi-final first-leg victory at Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.

    Only Erling Haaland (31) has netted more than Rashford among Premier League players in all competitions this term, though Ten Hag says he has had little influence on the United forward's development.

    "I'm not Harry Potter," the Dutchman said ahead of Saturday's fourth-round FA Cup clash at home to Reading.

    "It's just confidence. Every player has to make and get his own confidence.

    "He fought for this, he invested in this. Of course with my coaching staff, we bring in structures, especially in the way of play that gives him routines that he needs to get into the right position.

    "But finally, it's up to him, and when the player has the confidence then I'm convinced, in the way we are working – the way of play is most important but the environment and the culture are also important – then the player can perform at his best.

    "It's obvious that Marcus is in really good form. From day to day, from training to training, from game to game, the routines are coming in."

    Rashford has found the net 10 times after the World Cup, in which England fell to quarter-final elimination against France in Qatar.

    Harry Maguire was another to impress in the Middle East for Gareth Southgate's side, but opportunities remain limited on club duty at Old Trafford.

    A potential move to Unai Emery's Aston Villa was reported for Maguire, who Ten Hag urged to fight for a starting role at United amid competition from Lisandro Martinez, Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof. Luke Shaw has also been used at centre-back.

    "No, he's not fifth choice,” he said about Maguire. "But it's up to him.

    "I have to say he's training very well, bringing quality, and that is what I expect from all the players in the squad.

    "He has to fight for his position and things can change, sometimes really quickly. He is making progress."

    An FA Cup clash against Championship side Reading may present Maguire with an opportunity to feature from the start, though Ten Hag refuted claims he does not trust the centre-back in big matches.

    He said: "That's not true. After the World Cup he should have played but then he got ill. I can't do anything about that and he knows that. Then the team comes in a run [of form] and he has to wait for his chance."

  • Arteta reveals Partey to undergo scans in fresh Arsenal injury worry Arteta reveals Partey to undergo scans in fresh Arsenal injury worry

    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta revealed Thomas Partey will undergo an MRI scan after picking up a knock that forced him off at half-time in Friday's 1-0 FA Cup loss to Manchester City.

    The Ghanaian midfielder started the game but did not return after the break, replaced by Albert Sambi Lokonga, before Nathan Ake netted the 64th-minute winner.

    Partey has been a near ever-present for Arsenal this term, making 16 Premier League starts but may be set for a stint on the sidelines with an apparent rib issue.

    "He felt something and we didn't want to take any risks, so he could not continue," Arteta told reporters. "He had some discomfort and it was getting worse and worse.

    "Tomorrow or the day after we'll have to have an MRI scan and see what he has."

    Arteta would not be drawn on whether Partey's potential injury means they need to invest in midfield reinforcements during the January transfer window.

    "At the moment we've had the injury of Mo [Elneny] – it's been impossible to get him fit," Arteta said.

    "Sambi's come in and I think he's done well. That's why we have players. It's true that Thomas is a big influence, a big personality and an important player in our squad. In the second half, we didn't have him."

    Arteta would not be drawn on speculation linking the Gunners with a £60million bid for Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Felipe Caicedo either. The Ecuadorian took to social media on Friday to plead with his club to let him go.

    "You know that I'm not going to comment on any players until anything is done," Arteta said.

    '"As I said before, we've been pretty active in the market. We have some necessities and if something else is available, the club is willing to try to do it when it's reasonable.

    "Hopefully [that would be] a player that can improve our squad."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.