EPL

Guimaraes 'tremendously emotional' but ready for World Cup after Brazil call

By Sports Desk November 13, 2022

Bruno Guimaraes is raring to go ahead of the Qatar World Cup, describing making Brazil's squad as "tremendously emotional".

The Newcastle United midfielder, one of 12 Premier League players called up by the Selecao, will make his major tournament debut at Qatar 2022 under Tite.

Having switched from Lyon last season to the Magpies, Guimaraes has been sensational in his first nine months as a Premier League player.

However, he was not sure of his inclusion and revealed he was in the dark – as is traditional for Brazil's prospective players – until he saw his name announced by Tite in a press conference.

"We didn't know if I would be in the squad," he told Newcastle's club media. "Everyone asks this but in Brazil we don't know, we only find out on the day, watching television like everybody else.

"It was tremendously emotional. I think everyone's seen the video. It's traditional in Brazil for all the players to watch the squad announcement before the World Cup. I genuinely didn't know beforehand."

While there is plenty of Premier League representation in Brazil's squad, there was no room for Guimaraes' Newcastle team-mate Joelinton, who is yet to win a senior cap for his country.

Guimaraes was disappointed to see his fellow midfielder miss out, adding: "I hoped Joelinton would be in the squad with me. He's a great player, playing really well here at Newcastle.

"He's a player who has helped me a lot since I arrived. We have a great friendship. I see him as my brother. I'm sad for him, but he's still young and he'll have other opportunities to play in other World Cups.

"I don't think it will affect his career – he knows how to handle it. Of course I'm sad for him, but he can think about the next World Cup and continue doing what he's been doing as he contributes so much here at Newcastle."

Related items

  • Newcastle United co-owner challenges £36m bankruptcy petition in court Newcastle United co-owner challenges £36m bankruptcy petition in court

    Newcastle United co-owner Amanda Staveley has made a bid to throw out a bankruptcy petition against her alleging she owes a shipping tycoon more than £36 million, the High Court heard.

    Ms Staveley, who headed the Saudi-backed consortium that took over the football club in 2021, asked the Insolvency and Companies Court to set aside a demand served by Greek businessman Victor Restis in May last year.

    The claimed figure comprises £3.4 million in principal, £2.1 million in “legal costs and expenses” and £31.3 million in interest, totalling £36.8 million, according to Ms Staveley’s lawyers.

    The specialist court heard it is “common ground” that Mr Restis agreed in 2008 to arrange a £10 million investment in Ms Staveley’s business ventures, but that there was “some ambiguity” about whether this was a loan or some other form of investment.

    In May 2016, the parties entered an agreement.

    According to written submissions by Ms Staveley’s lawyer, Ted Loveday, his client was told to sign various other documents and instruments between 2017 and 2021, which ultimately said she was personally liable and which incrementally topped up that liability.

    “The various post-2016 instruments… were procured by duress, undue influence and/or misrepresentation,” Mr Loveday said.

    “The debt of £3.4 million had morphed into a debt in excess of £10 million, and which was said to exceed £36 million by May 2023,” he added.

    Ms Staveley claimed she felt intimidated into signing the post-2016 documents, the court heard.

    A specialist judge was told that Mr Restis’ lawyer, John Neocleous, allegedly told Ms Staveley that the shipping magnate “was not a man to be messed with, that he was dangerous and that (she) should not cross him”.

    Mr Loveday said in written submissions that she “worried for the safety of herself and her family”.

    “Ms Staveley felt understandably intimidated and felt she had no option but to sign,” he added.

    Mr Loveday also said that Ms Staveley claimed her Huntington’s disease, which she allegedly made no secret of from Mr Restis or Mr Neocleous, affected her thinking and judgment.

    But lawyers for Mr Restis said there is “no evidence” of “undue influence or duress”.

    Raquel Agnello KC told the court that Ms Staveley was sent documents, given time to look over them and given opportunities to make revisions before she signed them.

    In written submissions, Ms Agnello said: “There is a real lack of reality in relation to an assertion of duress as to the agreements.

    “There is no evidence of any unlawful conduct by either Mr Restis or Mr Neocleous.”

    She told the court there is no evidence “beyond (Ms Staveley’s) bare assertion” that Mr Restis is a dangerous man.

    Referring to Ms Staveley’s medical condition in written arguments, Ms Agnello said: “There is no evidence that the debtor actually informed either Mr Restis or Mr Neocleous that she had Huntington’s.

    “Importantly, the debtor does not assert that she informed either of them as to how that affected her in negotiations for the repayment of an outstanding loan.”

    Ms Agnello also said an agreement signed on January 7 2021 “supersedes all previous agreements” and that under it, Ms Staveley is liable.

    Mr Loveday asked the court to set aside the demand for over £36 million because it “raises a claim which ought to be determined by arbitration” and because Ms Staveley has “substantial ground for denying liability”.

    He claimed that the 2016 agreement decided parties would submit their disputes to arbitration and that the same agreement said Ms Staveley is not personally liable and provided for her company PCP Capital Partners to pay.

    Mr Loveday called the interest claims and claimed legal costs levelled against Ms Staveley “stratospheric”, and the imposition of personal liability as having come “out of the blue” in 2019.

    The hearing before Judge Daniel Schaffer is due to continue on March 19, where Ms Agnello will continue her submissions and invite the court to dismiss Ms Staveley’s application to set aside the statutory demand.

  • Jordan Henderson was ‘one of our best signings’, says Saudi league vice-chairman Jordan Henderson was ‘one of our best signings’, says Saudi league vice-chairman

    Jordan Henderson’s short-lived move to Saudi Arabia benefited the country’s league “a great deal”, its vice-chairman has said.

    The 33-year-old England midfielder completed a move to Dutch side Ajax last month after leaving Al Ettifaq less than six months into a lucrative three-year contract.

    Henderson hinted at regrets over his move to the Middle East in his introductory press conference in Amsterdam.

    He had previously championed LGBTQ+ rights and was widely condemned over the move to Saudi Arabia, where same-sex relationships are criminalised.

    However, Saudi Pro League boss Saad Al Lazeez told the Financial Times Business of Football Summit on Wednesday: “Jordan Henderson, even though he left, was one of the best signings in the Saudi Pro League.

    “We signed 93 players in the summer window, and I would say 28 to 30 of them would be in anybody’s list of the top 300 players, and you don’t expect all of them to stay.

    “Sometimes things do not work out, sometimes the player does not adapt, you expect those things to happen.

    “But I still maintain Jordan Henderson was one of our best signings, we benefited a great deal from his signing, we’re learning a lot of lessons and we will continue to grow from there.

    “We have been with Jordan throughout his journey from the day we signed him in the UK. We still maintain a good relationship with him. He’s a great guy, a great person. It just did not work out. So that’s life.”

    Henderson said on January 19: “In life, if you want to call them regrets or mistakes, you can call them that.

    “But, at the same time, they’re only mistakes if you don’t learn from them.

    “Looking back, at the time, obviously it was a big decision. It was a decision I felt was right for me and my family at the time, but things happen. Things change quickly in football.

    “I had to make another decision and this (joining Ajax) is the one I felt was right decision for me.”

  • Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka targets FA Cup glory after penalty heroics Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka targets FA Cup glory after penalty heroics

    Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka set his sights on the trophy after his penalty shoot-out heroics helped Newcastle into the FA Cup quarter-finals.

    The Slovakian, who missed last weekend’s hammering at Arsenal due to illness, saved twice as the Magpies scraped past Championship Blackburn 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at Ewood Park on Tuesday.

    Dubravka denied Sammie Szmodics, who had cancelled out Anthony Gordon’s opener in normal time, and then touched the final kick of the night from Rovers captain Dom Hyam on to a post.

    The cup now appears to be sustaining Newcastle’s season given that their Champions League challenge has faded and Dubravka wants to bring major silverware to the club for the first time since 1969.

    “We are delighted to be there,” Dubravka told NUFC TV. “It was difficult match for us with chances on both sides. I’m really happy that we are there now.

    “We want to win the trophies, obviously, so we try to go for it. I think this could lift our confidence.

    “We needed a reaction after the Arsenal game and I think this was a great example. We need to build on this.

    “Obviously there were a couple of moments in the match that we did amazing, but also, on the other side, there were a couple of moments where have to do it better.

    “We are still in a learning process, but I think we are in a good place now.”

    Newcastle failed to make an impression in the first half and it was Blackburn who dominated, with the impressive Szmodics proving a handful.

    The balance changed after the break and Newcastle edged ahead after 71 minutes through Gordon, but Rovers roared back, with Szmodics tucking in after Dilian Markanday’s thunderous effort had been tipped on to the bar.

    Both sides had chances to win the game in normal and extra-time before it came down to the penalty shoot-out. The drama continued as Szmodics and Ashley Barnes both had efforts saved, but Dubravka had the final say.

    “Obviously you hope that you don’t go to the penalties because it’s a lottery,” Dubravka said. “You never know what’s going to happen there.

    “It’s the nerves. You can’t really prepare for this kind of situation. It’s personal behaviour and confidence.”

    Defeat was harsh on a Blackburn side whose performance belied their lowly position in the Championship, but manager John Eustace, who is still awaiting his first win after five games in charge, saw the positives.

    He said: “You could see the group are gelling as we want. It’s just small steps, but that’s the second time now we’ve come from behind at home.

    “The lads have shown me that they’re a good, young, hungry group with some good experience and we’ve just got to keep working hard.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.