Viktoria Plzen 2-4 Barcelona: Blaugrana bow out of Champions League with a win

By Sports Desk November 01, 2022

Barcelona signed off a tough Champions League campaign with a win after coming out 4-2 victors in an action-packed clash with Viktoria Plzen.

The Blaugrana were already condemned to a place in the Europa League ahead of their final match of Group C, with Inter and Bayern Munich's progression assured last week.

Barca's only other victory of a dismal Champions League campaign came in the reverse fixture against Plzen in September, but Xavi's team rallied to win in style at the Doosan Arena.

Ferran Torres scored twice after Marcos Alonso's early opener and though Plzen hit back through Tomas Chory's double, Pablo Torre marked his first Barca start with a goal to settle the contest.

With nothing but pride to play for, Barca started strongly and were ahead in the sixth minute when Ansu Fati's shot was spilled by Jindrich Stanek, with Alonso quickest to pick off the rebound and prod home.

It set the tempo for a half where Barca dominated, though they had to wait until just before the interval to strike again.

Torres' close-range finish was originally disallowed for offside, but a VAR consultation overturned the original call to double Barca's lead.

Plzen unexpectedly struck back after the restart – Chory converting a penalty he won after drawing a foul from Torre – yet Barca's two-goal cushion was restored when Torres swept home from Raphinha's cutback at the end of a neat move.

Chory capitalised on slack defending to double his tally in the 63rd minute, though 19-year-old Torre lashed in Barca's fourth to wrap things up, with Plzen failing to convert a flurry of late chances to set up a grandstand finale.

Related items

  • De Zerbi offers Arsenal encouragement in Caicedo chase De Zerbi offers Arsenal encouragement in Caicedo chase

    Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Roberto De Zerbi believes the club are "ready to go forward without" Moises Caicedo following interest from Arsenal.

    Caicedo has been strongly linked with a move away from the Amex Stadium all month, but reports of interest intensified this week.

    Arsenal were rumoured to have had a bid worth £60million rejected by Brighton, which seemed to prompt Caicedo to publicly declare his desire to leave.

    In a statement posted to social media on Friday, the Ecuador international spoke of wanting to make the most of a "magnificent opportunity".

    While he did not specifically name Arsenal, the Gunners – who signed Leandro Trossard from the Seagulls in this window – are said to have since upped their offer to roughly £70m.

    Brighton have told Caicedo to stay away from the first team while his future is unresolved, hence his absence from Sunday's 2-1 FA Cup win over Liverpool, but De Zerbi is apparently content for a sale to go through.

    "Caicedo is a very, very good guy," the told reporters after the game. "I can understand because when you are 21 and you have a request from a big team, they are playing in Europe.

    "I would like him to finish the season with us, but we are ready to go forward without him – I think we need some players in some positions.

    "I spoke a lot with [Brighton chairman] Tony [Bloom], he knows very well my opinion. We are a good team, but we can improve from the transfer window.

    "We lost [Leandro] Trossard and if we also lose Caicedo, it can be a problem for us if we want to fight for Europe."

    Caicedo's statement of intent to leave caught fans by surprise, and De Zerbi earlier described it as a "mistake".

    But the Brighton coach also sympathised with the 21-year-old, convinced those advising him were behind it rather than Caicedo unilaterally deciding to publish the comments.

    "I was surprised, but I can understand where the mistake started," De Zerbi added.

    "I don't know if you understand, but Moises is a good guy. I think [he was influenced by someone else]."

  • Allegri bemoans Juventus' 'worst first half' as Bianconeri lose to Monza again Allegri bemoans Juventus' 'worst first half' as Bianconeri lose to Monza again

    Massimiliano Allegri said Juventus "never had a first half like" their poor showing against Monza on Sunday.

    The Bianconeri went in 2-0 down to the visitors at the break and were unable to turn it around in the second-half as Raffaele Palladino's men completed a league double over them.

    Goals from Patrick Ciurria and Dany Mota were enough for Monza to secure a 2-0 win at Allianz Stadium, following their 1-0 win against Juve earlier in the season in Palladino's first game in charge.

    Monza became only the second team ever to win both their first two games against Juventus in Serie A, after Inter in 1930.

    Speaking to the media after the defeat, Allegri said: "I'm angry, we can't concede goals like that. We've never had a first half like today.

    "We have to think about working on the field... we need to examine our conscience and start playing with intent again."

    It was the latest setback for Juve after being hit with a 15-point deduction in Serie A related to previous transfer dealings, and Allegri was left in no doubt how much work there is to do to rescue their season.

    "Reality says that we have 23 points, so we still have to win many more," he said. "This is reality, and if we don't look at it, we'll get hurt. 

    "We are all responsible for the performance... In [our last] three games [in the league] we won just one point and conceded 10 goals.

    "We facilitated the Monza goals, they came out with disarming ease. You can't allow them to get into the defence like we did. They got through us too easily.

    "We didn't have any reactions... The last few performances were not up to par, when you lose you have to lose in another way, [though] there was a different attitude in the second half."

  • Osasuna 0-1 Atletico Madrid: Simeone's men unspectacular but Saul maintains grip on top four Osasuna 0-1 Atletico Madrid: Simeone's men unspectacular but Saul maintains grip on top four

    Saul Niguez scored the only goal of the game as Atletico Madrid responded to their Copa del Rey elimination with an unconvincing 1-0 victory over Osasuna that maintained their grip on LaLiga's top four.

    Diego Simeone's side suffered a 3-1 extra-time loss to Real Madrid in the Copa quarter-finals on Thursday and were far from their best three days later at El Sadar.

    Jan Oblak had to keep Osasuna at bay in the second half, before substitute Saul's calm 74th-minute finish proved the difference as Atletico recorded a much-needed triumph.

    Victory moved Atletico three points clear of Villarreal and Real Betis in fifth and sixth respectively, while Simeone's side trail Real Sociedad – who play Real Madrid later on Sunday – by four.

    An offside flag rendered Oblak's impressive 23rd-minute save against Chimy Avila redundant before Jose Gimenez headed over a presentable chance from Antoine Griezmann's in-swinging corner at the other end.

    Aitor Fernandez repelled Griezmann from close range after a scramble inside the area, though neither side impressed during an otherwise drab first half.

    Griezmann forced another smart Fernandez stop with a low drive immediately after the interval, while Avila headed David Garcia's deep right-wing cross narrowly over.

    Oblak expertly denied Moi Gomez's back-post half-volley just past the hour, and that save proved pivotal when Saul raced onto Rodrigo De Paul's throughball to find the bottom-right corner and secure victory.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.