EPL

'I think the club is happy about this situation' – Conte relaxed over Tottenham contract talks

By Sports Desk September 29, 2022

Antonio Conte is relaxed regarding his contract situation at Tottenham, despite his current deal expiring at the end of the season.

Although Spurs have a year's option on Conte's deal – which initially runs until 2023, speculation has suggested he could be tempted to return to Juventus at the end of the campaign.

Speaking on Thursday ahead of Tottenham's trip to north London rivals Arsenal, Conte labelled such reports "disrespectful", and the Italian has now said there is no rush to agree fresh terms. 

"There is not [a] contract, there is not [an] option… if the club and the manager want to work together, they will continue to work together. If they don't want to work together, they finish," Conte told reporters.

"The most important thing for me is that I'm really enjoying working with Tottenham, with these players, especially, and the relationship with Daniel [Levy] and Fabio [Paratici] is good. 

"I'm okay and I think the club is happy about this situation. Now, the most important thing for Tottenham's present and Tottenham's future is to get the best possible result [against Arsenal]."

Asked whether the Premier League's upcoming break for the World Cup could represent the ideal time to engage in talks over a renewal, Conte added: "There doesn't exist a right time.

"It could be tomorrow. It could be the last day of the Premier League season. The most important thing for me and the club is to understand we want to continue together, to go in the same direction. 

"Otherwise, I don't see a problem. I said in the past I didn't need another contract to be sure to stay in a club. 

"Also, for the club, it’s a good investment to have a coach like me and my staff. At the right time, I will take the best decision. At this moment, I'm really happy.

"I don't want to push the club about the situation because it's not the right time. We have just started the season and we have a long time to live together and to understand, to continue to work together."

Related items

  • Van Dijk confident Liverpool will thrive regardless of who owns the club Van Dijk confident Liverpool will thrive regardless of who owns the club

    Virgil van Dijk has complete confidence Liverpool will remain a force in world football regardless of who owns the Reds.

    It was confirmed last month the club's Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are exploring the possibility of selling up or seeking outside investment as they aim to keep up with the Premier League's big spenders.

    Reports suggest Liverpool are valued at an eye-watering £3.7billion with Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs said to be overseeing the process.

    Van Dijk, speaking to reporters after helping the Netherlands defeat the United States 3-1 to reach the World Cup quarter-finals, says Liverpool will continue to thrive whoever is in charge at Anfield.

    "I have full trust in Liverpool that they will be fine. We are a very established club, one of the biggest in the world and that will stay that way," he said.

    "Whoever comes in to fill in those roles, they will do very well. I am aware of everything that is happening.

    "Whether I am taking it in and doing something with it right now, I don't think so because the full focus is on the World Cup but hopefully everything will be sorted and clarified when I am back. At this point, I am definitely not thinking about it."

    Liverpool struggled for consistency prior to the World Cup and sit sixth in the Premier League, 15 points off leaders Arsenal and seven back of Spurs in fourth.

    They did win five of their six Champions League group-stage games but finished second behind Napoli on goal difference and face Real Madrid in the last 16 in a repeat of last season's final, which they lost 1-0.

  • Rumour Has It: Man City to use Grealish in deal with Dortmund for Bellingham Rumour Has It: Man City to use Grealish in deal with Dortmund for Bellingham

    Jude Bellingham is expected to leave Borussia Dortmund at the end of this season, with numerous clubs lining up to sign him.

    The England international, who has impressed during the World Cup, is contracted with Dortmund until 2025.

    It has been speculated that Bellingham will cost English clubs more than £100million to fund the deal.

    TOP STORY – CITY TO USE GREALISH IN DEAL FOR BELLINGHAM

    Manchester City will dangle Jack Grealish to Borussia Dortmund as part of a deal to land Bellingham, claims Football Insider.

    Grealish, who City signed for £100m from Aston Villa 18 months ago, has not fully convinced since his switch to the English champions.

    According to the report, City are intensifying their interest in Bellingham and are willing to use Grealish.

    Le10Sport have also reported French powerhouse Paris Saint-Germain are also interested in 19-year-old Bellingham.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Liverpool are plotting a surprise move for Juventus forward Dusan Vlahovic, reports Calciomercato. The Serbian striker has scored six Serie A goals this term.

    – Mundo Deportivo reports Borussia Dortmund's Thomas Meunier is willing to listen to offers from Milan, Juventus, Manchester United and two other Premier League clubs if Barcelona do not bid for him.

    – Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix is open to a Premier League switch amid interest from Chelsea, claims GiveMeSport transfer expert Dean Jones.

    – Calciomercato reports that Arsenal are interested in a January move for Real Madrid's Marco Asensio.

    Leeds United are interested in a January move for Newcastle forward Chris Wood, claims Football Insider. Wood left Leeds for Burnley in 2017.

  • 'Lotta bark, no bite': Depay mocks Barkley after Dutch down USA 'Lotta bark, no bite': Depay mocks Barkley after Dutch down USA

    Memphis Depay has taken a swipe at ex-NBA star and American TV analyst Charles Barkley following the Netherlands' 3-1 win over the United States in the World Cup round of 16 on Saturday.

    Depay opened the scoring in the victory, which came after Barkley had started trash talk in the lead-up to the knockout stage clash.

    Barkley said on NBA on TNT: "We're going for the Netherlands. We opening up a can of whoop-a** 'cause I guarantee the Netherlands is in trouble."

    The official Dutch team Twitter account responded with a hype video of Barkley's quotes shortly prior to kick-off with Barcelona attacker having the last laugh.

    "Lotta bark, no bite," Depay posted on Twitter only a few hours after the game, with an image of a forlorn-looking Barkley under the 3-1 scoreline.

    The victory means the Netherlands will take on Argentina in the quarter-finals, while the USA's World Cup is over.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.