Windies star Gayle would not want to take COVID vaccine, but fears it may soon become mandatory

By Sports Desk March 09, 2021

 West Indies and Jamaica star batsman, Chris Gayle, has admitted to some amount of COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy and would not want to take the medication if given a choice.

With the disease having a devastating impact on normal life over the last year, countries around the globe have already launched various campaigns to stop the spread of COVID-19 in a bid to halt its devastating impact on those most vulnerable to its effects. 

According to research, the majority of the vaccines have efficacy rates between 80 and 100 percent when it comes to preventing serious illness and deaths for those who contract the virus.  Despite the evidence of clinical trials, however, some have questioned the safety of the vaccines.  Last week, Jamaican World Champion Yohan Blake stated that he would rather not compete at the Olympics than take the vaccine.

“If I don’t have to take it, I wouldn’t want to take it. I wouldn’t want to take any vaccine at all, to be honest, because I am naturally living fine. So, I don’t want anything being injected inside of me,” Gayle told the Antigua Radio program Good Morning Jojo Radio Show.

So far, no sport has mandated that athletes looking to compete at any event be vaccinated.  Gayle, however, believes that in the future it could be a requirement for those wishing to compete.

“Down the road, there is a possibility they are going to slow you down from your earnings and say if you don’t take it you can’t do this or you can’t do that and you can’t earn. So, it’s a situation where they might hold you ransom at some stage, but for me, if I don’t have to take it, I don’t want to,” he added.

“I am sure that at some stage they are going to hold everybody ransom by saying you can’t travel, you can’t play in a particular tournament or you can’t fly on a particular airline, but I am not up for it. I’ve been tested maybe over 60 times, 70 times since I’ve been flying and playing and being in a bubble and knock wood because I haven’t caught the Covid.”

Related items

  • Warner only one to receive 'flak' for ball-tampering, he believes Warner only one to receive 'flak' for ball-tampering, he believes

    David Warner believes he is the only one who has taken "a lot of flak" over Australia’s ball-tampering scandal in 2018.

    Warner and then-captain Steve Smith were banned from cricket for a year after being found guilty of using sandpaper to damage the ball during a Test match against South Africa.

    Cameron Bancroft, who carried out the act, was also suspended for nine months.

    Warner was ruled out of any leadership positions for Australia throughout the rest of his career after it was found that he orchestrated the plan, while Smith knew about it but failed to prevent it.

    The 37-year-old is set to retire from international cricket at the end of the T20 World Cup and admitted he was looking forward to not being reminded of the scandal when he does.

    "One can only absorb so much," Warner told Cricket Australia. "Coming back since 2018, I've probably been the only one that's ever copped a lot of flak.

    "I've always been that person who has copped it. It's great to go out knowing I'm not going to cop it anymore."

    Australia are currently competing for their second T20 World Cup title, previously winning the tournament in 2021, with Warner remaining a key part of the team after returning from his ban.

    While Warner admits he will probably always be associated with the ball-tampering scandal, he is hopeful his career will be viewed in a different light when he retires.

    "If they're real cricket tragics, and they love cricket, they will always see me as that cricketer - someone who tried to change the game," he added.

    "Someone who tried to follow in the footsteps of the openers before me, and try and score runs at a great tempo and change Test cricket."

    Australia face Bangladesh in the Super 8s of the T20 World Cup on Friday.

  • West Indies Women fail to deliver with bat as Sri Lanka secures unassailable 2-0 ODI series lead West Indies Women fail to deliver with bat as Sri Lanka secures unassailable 2-0 ODI series lead

    Sri Lanka Women secured an unassailable 2-0 lead in their three-match ODI series against West Indies Women with a dominant five-wicket win in the second encounter in Hambantota on Tuesday.

    The West Indies, playing without their regular captain Hayley Matthews, were bundled out for a paltry 95 in just 31 overs after being put in to bat by the hosts.

    Rashada Williams was the only West Indies batter to provide any meaningful resistance with 24 as Kavisha Dilhari, just as she did in the first match, starred with the ball with 4-20 from six overs.

    Captain Chamari Athapaththu took 2-8 from two overs while Achini Kulasuriya took 2-16 from seven overs in support.

    Sri Lanka then lost five wickets on their way to 93 in the 22nd over to secure the series victory.

    The successful chase was led by a run-a-ball 50 from Vishmi Gunaratne while Dilhari contributed 28.

    Karishma Ramharack took 2-29 from 5.2 overs for the West Indies.

    Full Scores:

    West Indies Women 92 off 31 overs (Rashada Williams 24, Kavisha Dilhari 4-20, Chamari Athapaththu 2-8, Achini Kulasuriya 2-16)

    Sri Lanka Women 93-5 off 21.2 overs (Vishmi Gunaratne 50, Kavisha Dilhari 28, Karishma Ramharack 2-29)

  • 'It was my day': Pooran says Rutherford's knock against New Zealand inspired performance in Afghan lashing 'It was my day': Pooran says Rutherford's knock against New Zealand inspired performance in Afghan lashing

    Nicholas Pooran believes everything went right for him as West Indies got a record-breaking win over Afghanistan to end the T20 World Cup group stage.

    West Indies won by 104 runs in St Lucia on Monday as they hit the highest run total at the tournament so far this year, hitting 218, including registering the highest powerplay score in history with 92.

    Pooran alone got 98 of those runs off 53 balls, the highest individual total at this World Cup, and broke the record for the most sixes in T20Is for West Indies, with his eight in this game taking him to 128, going past Chris Gayle's 124.

    Asked how he felt following his impressive performance, Pooran was quick to turn the praise to the whole team.

    "I felt today was my day and I had to take the responsibility," Pooran said. "When it's your day, you have to make it your day. I assessed the conditions early. It was really important for us to not lose wickets in the middle.

    "We have been really consistent as a team. The way we have played is wonderful.

    "It's just not today, it started 12-14 months ago. We have been consistent as a team; we went to No. 3 in the rankings. In the last game, [Sherfane] Rutherford took the opportunity and played wonderfully. He inspired us."

    Captain Rovman Powell hit 26 when he was introduced but had already witnessed history being made in the fourth over – West Indies scored 36 runs, equalling the record for the most expansive over in men’s T20Is.

    Powell was pleased with the performances on both sides but singled out the hard work Pooran has done in order to get this result.

    "I think it is on the back of hard work," Powell said. "He has had a very good 12 months. Good to see him score runs not only in franchise cricket but also for West Indies.

    "The guys were excited to come here. We knew here would be one of the better wickets of the competition. After Guyana and Trinidad, the batters wanted to come here and get runs."

    West Indies face reigning champions England next in the Super 8s on Wednesday.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.