Watching Mayers' match-winning knock moved his dad to tears

By February 08, 2021

West Indies’ come-from-behind win over Bangladesh on Sunday was an emotional moment for many fans of the team across the globe. However, none would have been more emotional than Shirley Clarke, the father of double-centurion Kyle Mayers, whose remarkable innings took the West Indies to victory.

Clarke revealed that had shed tears seeing his son lead the West Indies to victory.

“This morning was very special for me. It brought tears to my eyes,” said Clarke in a specially arranged Zoom between father and son that was arranged by CWI.

“I just want to wish you continued success to you and the rest of the team. Continue to work hard. We will stay connected as usual."

In response, Mayers thanked his father who played a dozen first-class matches and five List-A games for Barbados and Combined Campuses and Colleges between 1999 and 2008 and is now a Level-3 coach.

"You know how hard I was working when I was preparing for this tour in Barbados. You know how I felt about this opportunity. I just want to give you thanks for the help, coaching and making sure I was prepared for this series," Mayers said.

Mayers revealed that he is always in touch with his dad, discussing personal and technical matters. The West Indies hero said he considered himself fortunate to have a coach at home during the pandemic. 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • West Indies name squad for inaugural ICC Women’s U19 T20 World Cup West Indies name squad for inaugural ICC Women’s U19 T20 World Cup

    Cricket West Indies’(CWI) Selection Panel on Thursday named the 15-member West Indies Women’s Under 19s Rising Stars squad for the ICC Women’s U19 T20 World Cup in South Africa in January 2023.The squad will again be led by batting all-rounder Ashmini Munisar who captained the team on their tours to the USA in August and last month in India.

    Lead Selector Mrs. Ann Browne-John said: “The Under 19 girls T20 World Cup will be an historic event being the first of its kind in women’s international cricket. In preparation for this the team embarked on tours of the USA and the recent Tri Series in India against the hosts and New Zealand. These series have identified some competent up and coming batters like Djenaba Joseph, Shunelle Sawh and Trishan Holder who are showing potential to transition to a higher level. We also had excellent performances from the two main spinners, captain Ashmini Munisar and Shalini Samaroo.”

    She added: “We’ve held training camps over the past few months and the preparation will culminate with a final camp to be held in Antigua this month. This international exposure would no doubt be extremely beneficial, not only to this group of players, but also serve as an investment and feeder group into the senior West Indies Women’s set up.”

    Captain Ashmini Munisar expressed her happiness in being selected to lead the squad, “It is every cricketer’s dream to play for their country let alone be able to captain their team, it is an immense honour that I get to do it at this historic inaugural ICC Women’s U19 World Cup. We have been playing together for the past few months and all the players are gelling and progressing quite nicely and we’re all excited to represent the West Indies.”

    The ICC Women’s U19 T20 World Cup will feature 41 matches be played from 14 to 29 January in South Africa. The official warm-up matches will be from 9 to 11 January. The 16 participating teams will play in four groups in the preliminary round. West Indies have been drawn in Group C alongside New Zealand, Ireland, and Indonesia.

    WEST INDIES WOMEN UNDER 19s RISING STARS SQUAD

    • Ashmini Munisar (captain)
    • Asabi Callendar
    • Jahzara Claxton
    • Naijanni Cumberbatch
    • Earnisha Fontaine
    • Jannillea Glasgow
    • Realanna Grimmond
    • Trishan Holder
    • Zaida James
    • Djenaba Joseph
    • K D Jazz Mitchell
    • Shalini Samaroo
    • Shunelle Sawh
    • Lena Scott
    • Abini St Jean

    GROUPS

    Group A: Australia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, USA

    Group B: England, Pakistan, Rwanda, Zimbabwe

    Group C: Indonesia, Ireland, New Zealand, West Indies

    Group D: India, Scotland, South Africa, UAE

    GROUP C ​ - WEST INDIES MATCH SCHEDULE

    Sunday January 15: vs Ireland at NW University, Potchefstroom – 4am Eastern Caribbean/3am Jamaica

    Tuesday January 17: vs Indonesia at NW University, Potchefstroom – 7:45am Eastern Caribbean/6:45am Jamaica

    Thursday January 19: vs New Zealand, JB Marks Oval, Potchefstroom – 7:45am Eastern Caribbean/6:45am Jamaica

     

     

  • Labuschagne and hometown hero Head hit tons as West Indies suffer in Adelaide Labuschagne and hometown hero Head hit tons as West Indies suffer in Adelaide

    Marnus Labuschagne and Travis Head rattled off punishing centuries as Australia dominated once more against West Indies, racking up 330-3 on day one of the second Test.

    Top of the ICC batting rankings, the in-form Labuschagne put on a show as he reached 120 not out, while local hero Head joined him on three figures later in the day, finishing up on 114no at stumps.

    They shared in a fourth-wicket partnership worth 199 and will resume on Friday looking to bat West Indies out of the match.

    For Labuschagne, a third consecutive century and 10th of his Test career was complete when he cracked a boundary square of the wicket.

    He was the more watchful of the hundred-makers, with Head more up front about his intentions, getting stuck into a mostly blunt West Indies attack and reaching three figures in just 125 balls, some 61 fewer than Labuschagne needed to reach his ton.

    For Head, getting the job done brought obvious relief, after he was dismissed for 99 in the first match of the series in Perth. He brought up this century with a drive through mid-off for four, removing his helmet and waving to the Adelaide Oval crowd. Born in the South Australia city, this is his home ground and the century earned him the warmest of ovations.

    After making 204 and 104no in the first Test, Labuschagne again mastered the West Indies attack. He came in at number three and shared in a stand of 95 with Usman Khawaja, who fell lbw to Devon Thomas for 62 to leave Australia 129-2 during the afternoon.

    That soon became 131-3 when stand-in captain Steve Smith went for a duck, caught and bowled by Jason Holder, but from that point on it was all one way in Australia's favour.

    Better late than never for Thomas

    At the ripe cricketing age of 33, Thomas is a Test wicket-taker for the first time. A wicketkeeper by trade, he is not wearing the gloves in this game, his Test debut. With West Indies seeking to break the second-wicket alliance, Thomas was given a try with the ball by West Indies captain Kraigg Brathwaite and made the breakthrough.

    Thomas made his international debut in the limited-overs formats all the way back in 2009, and lately he has been a familiar face in their T20I side, but this is his first opportunity in the five-day game. He was the seventh bowler used by West Indies on Thursday, finishing the day with 1-43 from nine overs.

    Labuschagne does it again

    Ten centuries in a batter's 30 Tests is great going by anyone's standards, so hats off to Labuschagne. Taking into account the second Test against Sri Lanka in Galle back in July, Labuschagne has made tons in four of his last five innings and his average has shot up to 61.81. He is 33 runs short of reaching 3,000 Test runs, which will be a target for day two.

  • Warner's manager claims Australia ball-tampering scandal can be traced back to 2016 Hobart Test Warner's manager claims Australia ball-tampering scandal can be traced back to 2016 Hobart Test

    David Warner's manager has claimed Australia players were encouraged to tamper with the ball after a hiding at the hands of South Africa 16 months before the scandal blew up.

    Australia were thrashed by an innings and 80 runs in Hobart in November 2016, after being bowled out for 85 in their first innings.

    James Erskine said Warner, his client, has been unfairly treated after his part in the sandpaper scandal at Newlands in March 2018, and pointed back to the Hobart game.

    Opening batter Warner was banned from elite cricket for a year and from leadership positions for life after he was deemed to have been the instigator in the plot to alter the condition of the ball in Cape Town.

    However, Erskine says there was more to the episode than has thus far come to light.

    He told the SEN radio network: "When the truth comes out, everyone's going to turn around and say, 'Well, why was David Warner picked upon?'.

    "The truth will come out. Let me tell you. Someone will... there's lots of people. There's two cricketers who put their hands up and said, 'Why don't we all just tell the truth? They can't fire all of us.'

    "That's what happened. Two senior executives were in the changing rooms in Hobart and basically were berating the team for losing to South Africa.

    "Warner said we've got to reverse-swing the ball, and the only way we can reverse-swing the ball is basically by tampering with it. So they were told to do it."

    Erskine did not accuse the executives of being those responsible for giving the go-ahead to tamper with the ball.

    He did, however, stress the three players punished for the scandal – Warner, Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft – were far from the only people involved.

    Erskine said: "You'd have to be a blind black labrador, there was far more than three people involved in this thing, they all got a canning and David Warner was completely villainised.

    "He has shut up, he protected Cricket Australia, he protected his fellow players on my advice, because at the end of the day no one wanted to hear any more of it and he's got on playing cricket."

    Cricket Australia has yet to comment on Erskine's latest claims.

    Warner this week withdrew his appeal against a lifetime captaincy ban with Australia, saying he has no interest in "a public lynching" over his part in the controversy.

    The 36-year-old, who has returned to favour since his ban, was given the chance to appeal against the decision after Cricket Australia's code of conduct changed in November, but has now confirmed he will no longer do so.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.