IPL

Vettori replaces Lara as Sunrisers Hyderabad head coach

By Sports Desk August 07, 2023
Daniel Vettori is the new head coach of Sunrisers Hyderabad. Daniel Vettori is the new head coach of Sunrisers Hyderabad.

Daniel Vettori has replaced Brian Lara as the head coach of IPL team Sunrisers Hyderabad.

Vettori, a former left-arm spinner for New Zealand, was previously head coach at Royal Challengers Bangalore from 2014-2018 and is currently working as the assistant coach with the Australia men's team.

The latest update means Sunrisers will have a fourth head coach in six seasons, with Tom Moody (2019 and 2022), Trevor Bayliss (2020 and 2021), and Lara (2023) preceding Vettori.

Lara had replaced Moody ahead of the 2023 IPL season, but the side finished last (tenth) with four wins and ten losses.

At the moment, Vettori is head coach of the Birmingham Phoenix men's team at the Hundred, and since May 2022, has been with the Australia men's national side. His coaching resume also includes stints with Barbados Royals in the CPL, with Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League and with Middlesex in the Vitality Blast, all as head coach, and a spell as spin-bowling consultant with the Bangladesh men's national team.

In his previous run as a head coach in the IPL, Vettori helped RCB get into the playoffs in 2015 and the final in 2016 where, incidentally, they lost to Sunrisers.

This is now the third high-profile coaching appointment ahead of the 2024 IPL season, with Justin Langer taking over from Andy Flower at Lucknow Super Giants and Flower later joining RCB in the same role.

Sunrisers have had a lean time of it in the IPL in recent years, perhaps explaining the revolving door for the coaches. Since IPL 2021, they have won only 13 games while losing 29.

From 2016 (when they were champions) to 2020, Sunrisers reached the playoffs every season, but they have failed to replicate that success since. They will now hope to end a three-season streak of finishing outside the top four with the combination of Vettori and captain Aiden Markram at the helm.

 

Related items

  • Boult confirms meeting with Papua New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match Boult confirms meeting with Papua New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match

    New Zealand's Trent Boult has confirmed that he will not play at another T20 World Cup.

    Boult, who has 32 wickets in 17 outings in the tournament, will prepare for the Black Caps' final game of this year's edition against Papua New Guinea on Monday.

    New Zealand exited a World Cup before the last four for the first time since 2014 after losing their opening games to Afghanistan and West Indies. 

    Despite earning their maiden win of the tournament against Uganda, Monday's fixture against Papua New Guinea means little for New Zealand.

    And 34-year-old Boult confirmed that match will be his final appearance at a T20 World Cup.

    "Speaking on behalf of myself, this will be my last T20 World Cup," Boult told the media.

    With him bowing out from the T20 World Cup, the Black Caps will now have to fill a gaping hole in their bowling attack for 2026.

    In the current squad, only three players will be under 30-years-old, with Tim Southee another standout name who looks set to step back in the coming years.

    Both Boult and Southee have played a pivotal role in recent ODI and T20 World Cups, and Boult is hopeful the latest edition of the competition will not be the last time he features alongside his good friend. 

    "I look at the partnership with Tim with very fond memories," he said. "We bowled a lot of overs together. I know the partnership very well, and obviously he's a very good friend on and off the ground.

    "It was nice to wind back the clock a little bit and see a bit of swing bowling at the top. Some great memories, and hopefully a couple more still to come."

  • Boult confirms meeting with Papau New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match Boult confirms meeting with Papau New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match

    New Zealand's Trent Boult has confirmed that he will not play at another T20 World Cup.

    Boult, who has 32 wickets in 17 outings in the tournament, will prepare for the Black Caps' final game of this year's edition against Papua New Guinea on Monday.

    New Zealand exited a World Cup before the last four for the first time since 2014 after losing their opening games to Afghanistan and West Indies. 

    Despite earning their maiden win of the tournament against Uganda, Monday's fixture against Papua New Guinea means little for New Zealand.

    And 34-year-old Boult confirmed that match will be his final appearance at a T20 World Cup.

    "Speaking on behalf of myself, this will be my last T20 World Cup," Boult told the media.

    With him bowing out from the T20 World Cup, the Black Caps will now have to fill a gaping hole in their bowling attack for 2026.

    In the current squad, only three players will be under 30-years-old, with Tim Southee another standout name who looks set to step back in the coming years.

    Both Boult and Southee have played a pivotal role in recent ODI and T20 World Cups, and Boult is hopeful the latest edition of the competition will not be the last time he features alongside his good friend. 

    "I look at the partnership with Tim with very fond memories," he said. "We bowled a lot of overs together. I know the partnership very well, and obviously he's a very good friend on and off the ground.

    "It was nice to wind back the clock a little bit and see a bit of swing bowling at the top. Some great memories, and hopefully a couple more still to come."

  • Cricket West Indies announces new partnership with FairBreak Foundation Cricket West Indies announces new partnership with FairBreak Foundation

    Cricket West Indies (CWI) and FairBreak Foundation have announced a new partnership to promote and support Women’s Cricket in the region.

    As well as FairBreak Invitational T20 Tournaments, FairBreak has created a new Foundation which will use donations to support grassroots women and girls cricket programmes across the Caribbean.

    FairBreak Global, are dedicated to promoting gender equality through Women’s Invitational T20 tournaments, having successfully hosted two ICC-sanctioned tournaments to date in Dubai (2022) and Hong Kong (2023).

    Johnny Grave, CWI Chief Executive Officer stated, “we are pleased and enthusiastic to be the first ICC Full Member Board to partner with FairBreak.  One of the new strategic objectives of CWI has been to achieve parity between women and men in cricket by 2027 and we believe that this partnership will allow us to showcase the talent and potential of female cricketers in the West Indies, while promoting inclusivity and gender equality within the sport.”

    Cheryll Rogers, FairBreak Chief Executive Officer commented, “we are delighted to partner with CWI and bring the support of FairBreak to the communities of the Caribbean. It has been my pleasure to bring FairBreak up to a new level for women’s cricket. Our aspiration is to partner with cricket boards and charities to uplift community cricket as well as create new pathways into the women’s professional game.  The new FairBreak team and their commitment to the highest standards of safety and governance, are setting a gold standard for the environment in which we invite players to play. Our tournaments will now be held in the best stadiums in the world, including the West Indies. A truly unique opportunity.”

    FairBreak’s commitment to the West Indies includes investment in grassroots cricket programmes that will benefit and inspire future generations of female cricketers throughout the region, as well through engaging local coaches, match officials and other support personnel in upcoming FairBreak Invitational T20 Tournaments planned for the future.

     

     

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.