Knee injury rules Pollard out of remainder of Vitality Blast

By Sports Desk June 21, 2022

A knee injury has ruled former West Indies white-ball captain Kieron Pollard out of the remainder of Surrey’s Vitality Blast campaign.

The 35-year-old suffered the issue early in the campaign and underwent surgery on Tuesday morning, ruling him out for between four and six weeks.

Pollard scored 99 runs and took a single wicket in six matches for Surrey, who started the campaign with eight wins and a no result from their first nine games to go top of the South Group.

"This is hugely frustrating as we have been a dominant force and I felt I was part of something special," said Pollard in an interview on Tuesday.

“I wish the lads all the best for the rest of the campaign whilst I get myself fit and firing again," he added.

Pollard retired from international cricket in April of this year after representing the West Indies in 123 One-Day Internationals and 101 T20 Internationals, since his international debut against South Africa in 2007.

Pollard also holds the current record for most T20 matches played with 598, 60 ahead of former West Indies teammate Dwayne Bravo and 126 ahead of former Pakistan batsman Shoaib Malik.

 

Related items

  • Stokes condemns alleged racism during England's Test win over India Stokes condemns alleged racism during England's Test win over India

    Ben Stokes has condemned the alleged incidents of racist abuse that took place in the crowd during England's Test win over India at Edgbaston, saying there is "absolutely no place" for discriminatory behaviour in cricket.

    England completed the best run chase in their history (378) on Tuesday to defeat India in a thrilling fourth Test in Birmingham, drawing the delayed series after Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow hit second-innings centuries in a remarkable seven-wicket win.

    But the triumph was overshadowed by reports of racism being aimed at India fans in the ground on day four, with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Edgbaston subsequently launching investigations.

    The claims were shared on social media by Azeem Rafiq, the former spin bowler who was at the centre of a racism scandal at Yorkshire. He made allegations of institutional racism, and an independent report upheld that he had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying".

    After close of play on Monday, the ECB said it was "very concerned" by the claims in a short statement, and skipper Stokes has now taken to social media to decry the reported abuse.  

    "Amazing week on the pitch but really disappointed to hear reports of racist abuse at Edgbaston," he tweeted.

    "Absolutely no place for it in the game. 

    "Hope all the fans at the white-ball series have a brilliant time and create a party atmosphere. That's what cricket's about!"

    England and India get their three-part T20 series underway at the Rose Bowl on Thursday, in the white-ball side's first outing of Jos Buttler's captaincy.

  • Australia's Maxwell in line for shock Test return as Cummins ponders more spin against Sri Lanka Australia's Maxwell in line for shock Test return as Cummins ponders more spin against Sri Lanka

    Australia look poised to hand Glenn Maxwell a shock return to Test cricket, with the all-rounder in contention to provide additional spin against Sri Lanka in Galle.

    The 33-year-old has not played the long-form game for his country since he featured in the 2017 tour of Bangladesh, instead carving out his place in the white-ball sides.

    That has included success in both ODI and T20 formats, with Maxwell a member of the Australia squad that won the T20 World Cup last November, two years on from a semi-final finish at the Cricket World Cup.

    But after spin accounted for the majority of wickets in the first Test last week, captain Pat Cummins has indicated the tourists may switch to selecting a single frontline fast bowler for the second and final match.

    That would likely see Mitchell Starc drop out, given Cameron Green could be utilised as a pace option, and would open the door for Maxwell, who has seven Test caps, to make a remarkable return to the side.

    "He'd play as a spinning all-rounder at number eight," Cummins said. "I thought he was just about the pick of the bowlers in the one-day series, he was excellent. You can easily get 15 or 20 overs out of him.

    "If the wicket plays lots of tricks, the batting will be the area where you have to find those 20 or 30 runs somewhere. Last week we didn't need two quicks, but Mitchell Starc's class so we'll wait and see."

    Maxwell was a late call-up to cover for the injured Travis Head following Australia's white-ball series against Sri Lanka, and looked otherwise set to miss out following the latter's recovery.

    The lack of senior red-ball cricket will not be an issue for Cummins though, who feels that if selected, Maxwell could bring great value towards the tail of the middle order.

    "It's pretty different first-class cricket here to what you might experience in the Sheffield Shield," Cummins said. "It's a different pace, the wickets are so different.

    "It might not be grinding out a hundred, but a quickfire 30 or 40 would be just as valuable."

    The second Test starts on Friday. Australia won the first match by 10 wickets.

  • West Indies 'A' set for August clashes with Bangladesh 'A' West Indies 'A' set for August clashes with Bangladesh 'A'

    Cricket West Indies (CWI) and the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Wednesday announced the match schedule for the West Indies Men’s “A” Team series against Bangladesh Men’s “A” Team in August.

    The series will be played at the Daren Sammy Cricket Ground in Saint Lucia and will feature two four-day first-class matches and three 50-over matches from 4 to 20 August.

    This will be the first West Indies Men’s “A” Team series since 2020.

    The COVID-19 pandemic restricted opportunities and the resumption of West Indies Men’s “A” team matches sees the return of a key development opportunity for players pushing for selection to the West Indies senior team and for emerging players to build their First-Class International experience.

    Roland Holder, CWI’s Senior Operations Manager said the series will provide exposure for a number of players and noted it was part of CWI’s commitment to continually developing talent for the international level.

    “We are pleased to have confirmed the itinerary for the Men’s ‘A’ Team series with the BCB and we are excited to host Bangladesh in the region again,” Holder said.

    “This is a vital part of the development of our players in the pathway toward full international selection, and no doubt this upcoming series of matches in Saint Lucia will provide a platform for further exposure and progress.”

    He added that CWI and BCB are also in the planning stages for a reciprocal tour by West Indies “A” to Bangladesh in 2023.

     BCB CEO Nizam Uddin Chowdhury said the “A” Series provides an excellent opportunity for players of both teams to prepare for international commitments.

     “The international schedule is getting busier by the season and therefore it is very important for the cricketers to keep themselves ready through good competitive cricket. We thank CWI for accommodating the A tour. The four-day ‘Tests’ and the One-Day matches will be an invaluable experience for the players,” he noted.

    “The BCB and CWI share a warm longstanding relationship and have worked tirelessly to make this tour happen. I hope we will see more reciprocal programmes between the two boards in the future.”

    Match schedule:

    Daren Sammy Cricket Ground

    4-7: August: 1st Four-day “Test” – local start time 10 am (9 am Jamaica)

    10-13 August: 2nd Four-Day “Test” – local start time 10 am (9 am Jamaica)

    16 August: 1st 50-over match – local start time 9:30 am (8:30 am Jamaica)

    18 August: 2nd 50-over match – local start time 9:30 am (8:30 am Jamaica)

    20 August: 3rd 50-over match – local start time 9:30 am (8:30 am)

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.