April dates set for CAS to hear appeals against Salwa Eid Naser exoneration

By March 04, 2021

Hearing dates for the consolidated appeals of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and World Athletics against 2019 400m World Champions Salwa Eid Naser have been set for Thursday, April 22 and Friday, April 23, 2021.

In October 2020, the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) disciplinary tribunal ruled that Naser had not committed an anti-doping rule violation in relation to an alleged filing failure and three missed tests between March 12 and April 12, 2019.

WADA and World Athletics subsequently filed appeals requesting that the tribunal’s decision be set aside and that it be replaced with a new decision in which the 2019 400m world champion is found to have committed an ADRV and sanctioned with a two-year period of ineligibility.

The parties were awaiting dates when CAS would hear the matter. Dr Emir Crowne, who along with Matthew Gayle and Kristie Irving of New City Chambers, confirmed to Sportsmax.TV those dates have now been set for the hearing that will be held virtually.

"While my preference would be for an open hearing, certain sensitive information about Ms Naser will be revealed and we have decided to not press for an open hearing. As the proceedings are closed, that's all I can reveal,” Dr Crowne said while confirming said dates.

Salwa Eid Naser, 22, won the world title in Doha in 48.14, the third-fastest time in history defeating heavy favourite Shaunae Miller-Uibo of the Bahamas, who clocked a personal best 48.37 to claim the silver medal.

Jamaica’s Shericka Jackson was third in a personal best 49.47s

It subsequently came to light that Naser was competing in Doha, having missed three doping tests earlier that year and was not provisionally suspended. She also missed another test in January 2020.

If CAS overturns the initial ruling, the Bahrani athlete would miss this summer’s Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Fraser-Pryce partners with Visa to launch limited-edition branded shirts in another foundation fundraiser Fraser-Pryce partners with Visa to launch limited-edition branded shirts in another foundation fundraiser

    Eight-time Olympic medallist and founder of the Pocket Rocket Foundation, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, has partnered with Visa to create specially branded shirts that will be available to donors who use their Visa cards to contribute US$100 to her foundation.

    The shirts will feature Fraser-Pryce’s signature as well as the Olympic rings on the sleeve. Donors will also receive a mask signed by Fraser-Pryce and a Pocket Rocket pin.

    Fraser-Pryce, who lowered her 100m personal best to 10.60 this season, says all proceeds will go towards the Pocket Rocket Foundation.

    The nine-time World Championships gold medallist reminded potential Visa donors that their contributions are for a good cause.

    “I know you guys are eager to grab the shirts but please be reminded that this will go towards the Pocket Rocket Foundation and your support means the world to us and all our student-athletes, the ones who are still here and the ones who are coming for the future,” she said.

    This branded shirts venture is the latest in a number of initiatives Fraser-Pryce has undertaken to raise funds for the foundation. Last month, she was the guest of honour at an auction held at the Miramar Cultural Centre in Florida. 

  • Disgraced former IAAF president, Lamine Diack, dead at age 88 Disgraced former IAAF president, Lamine Diack, dead at age 88

    Lamine Diack, the disgraced former president of World Athletics has died of natural causes at the age of 88, according to multiple reports.

  • Retired Carter given four-year ban after positive test Retired Carter given four-year ban after positive test

    Retired Jamaica sprinter Nesta Carter has been banned for four years after testing positive for a prohibited substance earlier this year.

    The 36-year-old Carter announced his retirement from track and field in August, at that time stating that medical condition had not allowed him to train since March, and insisting he was putting his health over his career.

    According to reports, Carter returned an adverse analytical finding for the substance, clomiphene, which can alter male testosterone levels.  The former athlete has insisted that the substance was in a medication prescribed by his physician while he was out of competition.

    The ban was the second for the sprinter, who retrospectively tested positive from a sample, taken at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, in 2016.  The substance was methylhexanamine.

     The positive test led to Jamaica being stripped of their Beijing 2008 gold in the men's 4x100 metres.  The decision was handed down by the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.