NFL

Downtown Detroit to host 2024 NFL Draft

By Sports Desk March 28, 2022

The 2024 NFL Draft will be held in downtown Detroit, the league announced on Monday. 

One of the most anticipated events on the sporting calendar, the three-day event will take place around the Campus Martius Park and Hart Plaza site. 

This year's draft will be held in Las Vegas next month, with Kansas City hosting the 2023 edition. 

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said: "The draft has become a prominent offseason event across the country, and we are excited to work with the [Detroit] Lions and their partners to bring the 2024 NFL Draft to the Motor City. 

"With the help of Visit Detroit, the Detroit Sports Commission, and the City of Detroit, the Lions' passionate fan base and all visitors will be treated to an incredible three-day experience." 

Claude Molinari, president and CEO of Visit Detroit, added: "Visit Detroit is looking forward to working with our partners in the hospitality community to welcome enthusiastic football fans from across the country who will make our city a pigskin pilgrimage stop.  

"Hosting the draft is another exciting win for Detroit, and it will deliver a powerful economic impact and highlight the vibrancy of our region." 

Related items

  • New York Jets offensive lineman Mekhi Becton's season 'more than likely' over New York Jets offensive lineman Mekhi Becton's season 'more than likely' over

    The fear over the severity of New York Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton's right knee injury have become a reality.

    Jets coach Robert Saleh told reporters on Tuesday that Becton suffered a kneecap fracture during Monday's practice and his season is "more than likely" over.

    Becton has been diagnosed with an avulsion fracture in the knee, according to NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo, and will see a surgeon on Wednesday.

    ''It's probably the inevitable,'' Saleh said of the severity of the injury.

    The Jets were initially optimistic about the injury, with Saleh saying after Monday's practice that: "it doesn’t seem like it's a big deal," but the outlook changed later in the evening after the results of an MRI.

    Saleh said he feels "sick" for Becton, who missed the final 16 games of the 2021 season after dislocating his right kneecap in the season opener, and defended the oft-injured 23-year-old after he arrived at training camp healthy and in acceptable shape after battling weight issues following surgery in September.

    "His story's not over. He's got full support of this organisation," Saleh added. "And if you're a fan that wants to support him, you're more than welcome, otherwise just keep it moving."

    The 11th overall pick of the 2020 draft, Becton started 13 games at left tackle as a rookie and began last season at the position before getting hurt.

    In need of depth on the offensive line, the Jets signed veteran guard Caleb Benenoch and guard Chris Glaser on Tuesday.

    Free-agent tackle Duane Brown, a five-time Pro Bowler, visited the Jets on Saturday and could be offered a contract.

  • All-Pro LB Roquan Smith requests trade away from Bears All-Pro LB Roquan Smith requests trade away from Bears

    All-Pro linebacker Roquan Smith loves the Chicago Bears, but he does not believe the feeling is mutual.

    Smith issued a statement requesting a trade on Tuesday, writing "the new front office regime doesn't value me here".

    Set to make $9.735million in the final year of his rookie contract, Smith, who represents himself, had been holding out during training camp while working towards a new deal.

    The 25-year-old, however, has become infuriated with negotiating with first-year general manager Ryan Poles and now wants out.

    "The new front office regime doesn't value me here," Smith wrote in a statement posted by Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

    "They've refused to negotiate in good faith, every step of this journey has been 'take it or leave it'.

    "The deal sent to me is one that would be bad for myself, and for the entire LB market if I signed it. I've been trying to get something done that's fair since April, but their focus has been on trying to take advantage of me.

    "I wanted to be a Bear for my entire career, help this team bring a Super Bowl back to our city.

    "However, they have left me no choice than to request a trade that allows me to play for an organisation that truly values what I bring to the table."

    Selected eighth overall in the 2018 draft, Smith has been one of the league's top linebackers and was looking to be paid like one.

    Smith was reportedly offended by Chicago's backloaded offer that included de-escalators that are not in the contract of any of the other 94 non-quarterbacks making at least $15m per year.

    Smith ranked fifth in the NFL in total tackles last season with 163 to go with 12 tackles for loss to earn second-team All-Pro honours for the second straight year.

    In 61 career games, he has 538 total tackles, 43 tackles for loss and five interceptions, making him one of just three defensive players with at least 300 tackles, 30 tackles for loss and five interceptions since 2018, along with Darius Leonard and Jamie Collins Sr.

    Smith apologised to Chicago fans and implied he could possibly withdraw the trade request if team ownership can restore the fragmented relationship but said it is unlikely he will ever put on a Bears uniform again.

    "I haven't had the chance to talk to the McCaskey family, and maybe they can salvage this," he wrote, "but as of right now I don't see a path back to the organisation I truly love."

  • Burrow 'looking good' but Bengals not rushing a return Burrow 'looking good' but Bengals not rushing a return

    With less than five weeks until the start of the NFL season, Cincinnati Bengals coach Zac Taylor isn't worried about when quarterback Joe Burrow will be back on the practice field. 

    Burrow, the 2020 top overall draft pick, underwent surgery last month to remove his appendix. While he has been seen on the sidelines at Bengals practices, Burrow has yet to resume football activities. 

    "He's starting to get better every single day," Taylor said of his star signal-caller. "Again, I don't want to put a timeline on when he gets out here and starts throwing and stuff, but it's been encouraging. He's back to himself in meetings so — looking good."

    The Bengals' 2022 season opens on September 11 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, although Burrow is still expected to be healthy enough to start under center. 

    "He knows himself way better than we do," Taylor said. "I trust the communications with him when we're going to get him back out here.

    "We've got plenty of time before the opener and I trust that we'll have a good process in place."

    Burrow cemented his place among the game's best young quarterbacks last season, bouncing back from the knee injury that ended his rookie campaign to lead the Bengals to a 10-6 record as a starter in 2021. 

    The Bengals played in the Super Bowl for the first time since the 1988 season but lost to the Los Angeles Rams. 

    Over his last eight games of 2021, including four playoff games, Burrow threw for 16 touchdowns and two interceptions while completing 72 percent of his passes. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.