NFL

Raiders land Chandler Jones, send Ngakoue to Colts for Ya-Sin

By Sports Desk March 16, 2022

The Las Vegas Raiders have agreed a deal to sign four-time Pro Bowl edge rusher Chandler Jones, with Yannick Ngakoue set to head to the Indianapolis Colts in a trade.

According to multiple reports, Jones will join the Raiders on a three-year deal worth roughly $51million.

It follows a stellar six-season spell in Arizona, which saw him record double-digit sacks in five campaigns.

Since 2015, his final year with the New England Patriots, only Aaron Donald (89) has more sacks to his name than Jones (84). No player has forced more fumbles than Jones (27) in that span.

Though he is now 32, Jones showed little sign of slowing down for the Cardinals last season, registering 10.5 sacks as Arizona returned to the playoffs for the first time since the 2015 campaign.

His move to the Raiders sees him reunite with Josh McDaniels, the two having crossed paths during their time in New England, where McDaniels was the offensive coordinator before taking the job in Las Vegas this offseason.

Jones will immediately step in for Ngakoue, who finished last season with 10 sacks, his first time reaching double digits since 2017 with the Jacksonville Jaguars (12), and will hope to do the same for a Colts team that was 20th in pass rush win rate, according to Stats Perform data, in 2021.

Heading the other way is cornerback Rock Ya-Sin, a former second-round pick of the Colts coming off a statistically impressive season.

Ya-Sin allowed a burn, which is when a receiver wins his matchup with a defender on a play where he is targeted, on 46.8 per cent of targets last season. The average for corners with at least 25 targets was 51.3.

He allowed 5.92 burn yards per target, the fewest among corners (min. 25 targets) and 0.90 burn yards per snap (third fewest), illustrating the limited separation Ya-Sin allowed receivers.

Between the arrivals of Jones and Ya-Sin, a defense that allowed the eighth-fewest yards per pass play (5.91) in the NFL last season will hope to produce sterner showings against opposing aerial attacks under new defensive coordinator Patrick Graham.

Related items

  • Jets QB Wilson undergoes successful knee surgery Jets QB Wilson undergoes successful knee surgery

    New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson had successful arthroscopic surgery on Tuesday to repair the meniscus in his right knee, according to multiple reports.  

    Surgeons found no further damage in Wilson’s knee, ESPN reported, keeping intact the initial timeline of a two to four-week recovery.  

    The second-year quarterback suffered the injury while scrambling in the Jets' preseason opener last week against the Philadelphia Eagles.  

    Wilson made an awkward cut during the seven-yard rush and fell to the turf. Given the non-contact nature of the injury, Jets fans and pundits initially feared a more serious injury, but Wilson may have a chance to start New York's season-opening game against the Baltimore Ravens on September 11.  

    If Wilson needs additional time to recover, the Jets will turn to veteran Joe Flacco, who has been with the team since 2020.  

    Members of the Jets' offense have voiced their comfort with Flacco filling in when needed. Wide receiver Garrett Wilson, the 10th overall pick in April's draft, said that Flacco throws a "receiver-friendly" ball on Monday.  

    "There’s definitely a difference," the rookie receiver told reporters. "It's a lot of experience right there with Flacco. I feel like everything with him, he takes some pace off, puts some pace on the ball. He does a good job of making the passes receiver-friendly. That's the best way I can put it into words.  

    "They're pretty easy to catch. Takes some off the ball when you're running a slant route versus an out route, put some zip on it because it's gotta be. Things like that."

    Even if Flacco fills in admirably, the franchise knows that Wilson is the quarterback of the future. He will miss valuable repetitions in practice, with the Jets set to hold joint sessions with the Atlanta Falcons and New York Giants this preseason.  

    “It's a setback in that he's missing an unbelievable opportunity to get these reps in and to play other defenses, especially the Giants who have such an elaborate pressure package system, a pressure system,” first-year coach Robert Saleh said. "But he's got to stay dialled in just like he was last year when he was hurt, learn from his team-mates and try to be involved as much mentally as he can possibly be.  

    "The timing of it all is terrible and it sucks, but I think Zach can still have an opportunity to grow from it if he attacks it mentally."

  • 'It won't happen again' - Liverpool striker Nunez apologises after Palace red card 'It won't happen again' - Liverpool striker Nunez apologises after Palace red card

    Darwin Nunez has issued an apology following his red card during Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace at Anfield.

    The Uruguay international, who arrived from Benfica for a reported £64million (€75m), endured a frustrating home debut for the Reds, which culminated in an early bath after a headbutt on Palace defender Joachim Andersen.

    Nunez had registered five shots - none of which were on target - when he reacted after a sustained period of provocation from Andersen just before the hour mark, throwing his head into the face of the centre-half.

    The striker became only the second Liverpool player to be dismissed on his first home Premier League appearance; exactly 12 years after Joe Cole was given his marching orders in a 1-1 draw with Arsenal.

    Nunez has since taken to Twitter to express his remorse over the incident, posting: "I am aware of the ugly attitude I had. I'm here to learn from my mistakes and it won't happen again. Apologies to Liverpool. I'll be back."

    The 23-year-old will now miss Liverpool's mouth-watering showdown with Manchester United at Old Trafford next Monday, as well as back-to-back home games against Bournemouth and Newcastle United.

     

  • Simmons confident Broncos can end seven-year playoff wait and win Super Bowl Simmons confident Broncos can end seven-year playoff wait and win Super Bowl

    As far as Justin Simmons is concerned it doesn't matter that the Denver Broncos lost 10 games in 2021 to finish in last place in the AFC West.

    Or that the team hasn't made the playoffs since the 2015 season.

    The way Simmons sees it, the Broncos are equipped to win this year's Super Bowl.

    Simmons was drafted by Denver in 2016 just months after the team's last playoff appearance – a win over the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50.

    The Broncos have four double-digit loss seasons in the six years since winning it all, but with the addition of Russell Wilson at quarterback and a new coaching staff, Simmons believes this season will end differently.

    "In terms of the playoffs, I'm really excited," Simmons said Tuesday on Good Morning Football. "Like you said, I just missed the Super Bowl with Denver; got drafted the year after, and then since then, the best record that I've been a part of was 9-7, just missing that playoff berth. 

    "Guys are hungry, and obviously, Russ is hungry. We got a hungry group, we've got a talented group, and that's what I'm really looking forward to. I feel like if you have that - as long as we don't beat ourselves - I like our chances to host playoff games and eventually hoist the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year."

    A Pro Bowl selection in 2020, the 28-year-old Simmons was tied for fourth in the NFL with five interceptions last season to help lead a defense that ranked third in the league in opponent scoring at 18.9 points per game.

    With Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock lining up at quarterback, however, Denver's offense struggled to keep up in the high-powered AFC West, averaging 19.7 points per game to rank tied with Washington for 23rd.

    Expectations on offense are much higher this year with Wilson taking over at signal-caller in perhaps the NFL's most talented quarterback division with the Kansas City Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes, Los Angeles Chargers' Justin Herber and Las Vegas Raiders' Derek Carr.

    "I think the confidence level is at an all-time high," Simmons said. "Playing in the best division in football, being in the AFC West, is going to be challenging but it's going to be fun, right? 

    "I think Russ kind of hit it on the head in his opening presser when he was officially announced as a Denver Bronco, and saying, 'I'm not scared of the competition and I want to go up against the best, and there's no better division to go up against in the AFC West.' 

    "Seeing Herbert, Carr and Mahomes twice a year and obviously how talented that offense is, but just as a team. The defensive additions that all those teams have gotten and things like that. I'm just really looking forward to the competitive nature that those games are going to hold. I'm excited for, you know, obviously us, but the fans to watch those games as well. 

    "It's going to be really cool. It's going to be a lot of fireworks for those games."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.