NFL

Flores: NFL at 'fork in the road' with hiring practices

By Sports Desk February 02, 2022

Brian Flores believes the NFL is at a "fork in the road" with its hiring practices after the former Miami Dolphins head coach filed a class action lawsuit against the league.

Flores alleged in the suit that the NFL is rife with racism and has a "disingenuous commitment to social equity".

He is suing the league along with teams at whose hands he claims he experienced racism, naming the Dolphins along with the New York Giants and Denver Broncos as defendants, together with "John Doe Teams 1 through 29".

Amid the allegations made by Flores is that he inadvertently learned he had failed to get the Giants head coach job last week before his interview, which the lawsuit claims was "a sham" that "humiliated" him. 

The NFL has a 'Rooney Rule' in place. It requires all teams seeking a new head coach "to interview at least one or more diverse candidates".

The suit also alleged that Flores "was interviewed only because of the Rooney Rule" by the Broncos in 2019 and was never intended to be "a legitimate candidate".

In addition, it claims Flores was offered $100,000 for every Dolphins loss in 2019 by owner Stephen Ross, who was said to be angered by the team's competitiveness compromising their draft position. Miami fired Flores at the end of the 2021 season despite the team finishing with a winning record in successive seasons.

The NFL said Flores' claims "are without merit", saying it would put up a defence. The three teams named by Flores also rejected his allegations.

Speaking alongside his attorneys on CBS Mornings, Flores said: "I love coaching, I'm gifted to coach and I want to coach. This is bigger than coaching, this is much bigger than coaching.

"We filed the lawsuit so that we could create some change. I think we're at a fork in the road right now, we're either going to keep it the way it is, or we're going to go in another direction and actually make some real change where we're actually changing the hearts and minds of those who make decisions to hire head coaches, executives, et cetera."

Asked about the claims he made against the Dolphins and owner Ross, Flores replied: "This game's done a lot for me. I didn't grow up with a lot, this game changed my life.

"To attack the integrity of the game, that's what I felt was happening in that instance and I wouldn't stand for it.

"I think it hurt my standing within the organisation and ultimately was why I was let go."

The suit contains screen grabs of an alleged text message conversation between New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Flores, in which Belichick congratulates Flores on what he believes is an impending appointment, only to realise he was messaging the wrong person, having intended to contact Brian Daboll, who got the Giants job.

During the text exchange, Flores questioned whether Belichick had messaged the correct person, with the Patriots coach having indicated he had inside knowledge on who would land the job. According to the lawsuit's contents, Belichick at this point realised his error and apologised to Flores, who worked for him for 10 years with the Patriots.

"It was a range of emotions, humiliation, disbelief, anger," Flores said of that episode. 

"I have worked so hard to get where I am in football to become a head coach. Put 18 years in this league, and it was, to go on what was going to be a, what felt like and was a sham interview, I was hurt.

"The Rooney Rule is intended to give minorities an opportunity to sit down in front of ownership, but I think what it's turned into is an instance where guys are checking the box.

"I've been on some interviews in the past where I've had that feeling. There's always no way to know for sure, but you know. I know I'm not alone."

The NFL on Wednesday published its response to the suit, which read: ​"The NFL and our clubs are deeply committed to ensuring equitable employment practices and continue to make progress in providing equitable opportunities throughout our organisations.

"Diversity is core to everything we do, and there are few issues on which our clubs and our internal leadership team spend more time. We will defend against these claims, which are without merit."

A spokesman for the Giants, Pat Hanlon, was quoted by the New York Times on Tuesday as saying the team was "confident with the process that resulted in the hiring of Brian Daboll", adding that Flores was "in the conversation to be our head coach until the eleventh hour".

The Broncos have described the various claims against the franchise as "blatantly false" and "baseless and disparaging claims".

Several allegations are made in the suit about Flores' time with the Dolphins, which came to an end only last month.

The Dolphins responded by saying they "vehemently deny any allegations of racial discrimination and are proud of the diversity and inclusion throughout our organisation".

Related items

  • Browns reject Kareem Hunt's trade request Browns reject Kareem Hunt's trade request

    Cleveland Browns running back Kareem Hunt is asking for a trade, but the team has denied his request, cleveland.com reported on Sunday. 

    Hunt is in the final year of a two-year, $13.25million extension, and sat out team drills the past few days at training camp as he was seeking a long-term extension. 

    Hunt is coming off a 2021 season in which he was limited to eight games due to calf and ankle injuries. That came after he had 1,145 scrimmage yards and 11 total touchdowns for the Browns in 2020, while appearing in all 16 games and forming a solid 1-2 punch with Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb. 

    Hunt joined Cleveland in 2019 but sat out the first eight games that season after being suspended for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy while playing for the Kansas City Chiefs. 

    Kansas City selected Hunt in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft, and he led the league in rushing as a rookie with 1,327 yards. 

    Hunt's trade request is yet another distraction for the Browns, who acquired Deshaun Watson from the Houston Texans in the offseason and traded fellow quarterback and former No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield to the Carolina Panthers. 

    Watson was suspended for the first six games of the upcoming season for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy after two dozen women accused him of sexual misconduct during massage treatments while he played in Houston. 

    The NFL, though, is appealing that decision – leaving Watson's status in limbo. 

  • Giants lose rookie OL McKethan for 2022 season Giants lose rookie OL McKethan for 2022 season

    New York Giants rookie offensive lineman Marcus McKethan will miss the entire 2022 season after the team confirmed Saturday that he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee. 

    The Giants’ fears were confirmed after McKethan, 22, was carted off the MetLife Stadium turf during Friday’s scrimmage. 

    A fifth-round pick out of North Carolina, McKethan had worked at both guard and tackle during camp and was playing right tackle when the injury occurred. 

    With the season’s start still five weeks away, New York is already facing attrition on the offensive line after ESPN reported this week that Matt Gono’s persistent neck problems could prematurely end his playing career. 

    The Giants signed journeyman tackle Will Holden on Friday. 

    McKethan started 37 career games for North Carolina and was an honourable mention All-ACC selection in his final two seasons in Chapel Hill. 

    The Giants’ offense lost 267 yards last season on sacks, ranking 18th in the NFL. 

  • Rhule yet to make Panthers QB decision on Mayfield, Darnold Rhule yet to make Panthers QB decision on Mayfield, Darnold

    With just five weeks until the open of the NFL season, the Carolina Panthers still do not know who their starting quarterback will be. 

    After both Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield took part in Saturday's scrimmage, head coach Matt Rhule said that the team will wait at least two more weeks before naming a starter. 

    Rhule pointed to the team’s joint practices and August 19 pre-season game with the New England Patriots as the next evaluation point. 

    "I'm not putting a timetable on the quarterback position until after we get back from the Patriots week," Rhule said Saturday. "The Patriots week is a true litmus test for us. That will really show us where guys are."

    Neither Darnold—Carolina’s 2021 opening-starter—nor the freshly acquired Mayfield has yet to emerge as the favorite, and Rhule gave both players mixed reviews after the weekend scrimmage. 

    "The disappointing thing is each guy had an interception," Rhule said. "We’ve got to protect the football."

    The Panthers open their regular season on Sept. 11 by hosting the Cleveland Browns, Mayfield’s former club. 

    The two signal-callers will be forever linked as the top two quarterbacks taken in the 2018 draft, with Mayfield going first overall and Darnold being chosen third. 

    Darnold spent three seasons with the New York Jets before being traded to the Panthers for draft picks last April. He won his first three starts with Carolina last season before finishing 4-7 with nine touchdown passes and 13 interceptions. 

    Mayfield started 59 career games for the Browns, and his efficient play in 2020 helped lead Cleveland to its first playoff victory since the 1994 season. 

    Mayfield’s injury-marred 2021 campaign was a letdown, however, and the Browns chose to pursue DeShaun Watson in the trade market. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.