NFL

Flores alleges racism as he launches legal action against NFL, Dolphins, Broncos, Giants

By Sports Desk February 01, 2022

Former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores has launched a class action lawsuit, alleging the NFL is rife with racism and has a "disingenuous commitment to social equity".

Flores is suing the league along with teams at whose hands he alleges he has personally experienced racism, naming the Dolphins along with the New York Giants and Denver Broncos as defendants, together with "John Doe Teams 1 through 29".

The suit, filed at the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, demands a jury trial. The NFL said Flores' claims "are without merit", saying it would put up a defence. The three teams named by Flores also rejected his allegations.

Flores claims he inadvertently learned he had failed to get the Giants head coach job last week, even before his interview took place.

The suit contains screen grabs of an alleged text message conversation between New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Flores, in which Belichick congratulates Flores on what he believes is an impending appointment, only to realise he was messaging the wrong person, having intended to contact Brian Daboll, who got the Giants job.

During the text exchange, Flores questioned whether Belichick had messaged the correct person, with the Patriots coach having indicated he had inside knowledge on who would land the job. According to the lawsuit's contents, Belichick at this point realised his error and apologised to Flores, who worked for him for 10 years with the Patriots.

The NFL has a 'Rooney Rule' in place. It requires all teams seeking a new head coach "to interview at least one or more diverse candidates", and the lawsuit alleges on this occasion the Giants interview was "a sham" that "humiliated" Flores.

A spokesman for the Giants, Pat Hanlon, was quoted by the New York Times on Tuesday as saying the team was "confident with the process that resulted in the hiring of Brian Daboll", adding that Flores was "in the conversation to be our head coach until the eleventh hour".

It is also alleged in the lawsuit that Flores "was interviewed only because of the Rooney Rule" by the Broncos in 2019 and was never intended to be "a legitimate candidate", while also criticising the interview board.

The Broncos have described the various claims against the franchise as "blatantly false" and "baseless and disparaging claims".

A number of allegations are made in the suit about Flores' time with the Dolphins, which came to an end only last month.

The Dolphins responded by saying they "vehemently deny any allegations of racial discrimination and are proud of the diversity and inclusion throughout our organisation".

The class action alleges: "The NFL remains rife with racism, particularly when it comes to the hiring and retention of black head coaches, coordinators and general managers. Over the years, the NFL and its 32-member organisations have been given every chance to do the right thing.

"Rules have been implemented, promises made – but nothing has changed. In fact, the racial discrimination has only been made worse by the NFL's disingenuous commitment to social equity."

It also contains a series of allegations that it points to as evidence the NFL as a whole has a racism problem when it comes to the hiring of black individuals, alleging it is "racially segregated and is managed much like a plantation".

In response, the NFL said: ​"The NFL and our clubs are deeply committed to ensuring equitable employment practices and continue to make progress in providing equitable opportunities throughout our organisations.

"Diversity is core to everything we do, and there are few issues on which our clubs and our internal leadership team spend more time. We will defend against these claims, which are without merit."

Related items

  • Bengals quarterback Burrow: 'It wasn't normal appendicitis' Bengals quarterback Burrow: 'It wasn't normal appendicitis'

    Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow has revealed his appendectomy last month was more serious than first thought after his appendix ruptured.

    Burrow returned to training on Sunday after undergoing an appendectomy on July 26, giving him four weeks to build up before the Bengals' NFL season opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers on September 11.

    The 25-year-old quarterback, who was due to return to team drills on Wednesday, revealed the extent of the issue when addressing a press conference for the first time since the surgery.

    "It wasn't normal appendicitis that you hear about," Burrow said.

    "I didn't really feel much. Just getting checked out and had some discomfort so we thought we'd get it checked out.

    "Turns out I had it, so we had to get it fixed. Not ideal timing obviously but glad to have it now than halfway through the year."

    Burrow was sidelined longer than most players for an appendectomy which typically means only missing a few days.

    The Bengals are confident the 2020 NFL Draft top pick will be fit and healthy to face the Steelers but Burrow said there was plenty of work to do to ramp up, having lost weight in hospital.

    "When they cut into you and do all that stuff your core is going to lose some muscle and some strength just getting that back," said Burrow, whose 2020 and 2021 preseasons were interrupted by COVID-19 and knee surgery respectively.

    "I'd like to have a normal offseason at some point. That would be great. Going into the season feeling as good as I can, but that hasn't been the reality for three years."

    Burrow, however, is not expecting to play in the Bengals' preseason.

    "I think it will be OK," Burrow said. "We have a good plan as far as nutrition and weight room and all that stuff.

    "I feel good right now and just going to keep feeling better."

  • Aaron Rodgers meets with Green Bay Packers wide receivers day after criticising them Aaron Rodgers meets with Green Bay Packers wide receivers day after criticising them

    Aaron Rodgers made headlines Tuesday for criticising the Green Bay Packers young wide receivers. A day later, the legendary quarterback met with the wideouts to work with them and get everyone on the same page.

    Rodgers and fellow Packer quarterbacks Jordan Love and Danny Etling, along with members of the offensive coaching staff met in the quarterback meeting room Wednesday morning with the wide receivers.

    "Aaron spoke to us about what he likes or what not just based on concepts or what he sees," rookie receiver Romeo Doubs said.

    "He just wants us to see what he sees. So then that way we can be able to react faster, play faster and just be able to dominate and continue to be who we are."

    Doubs had a bad drop Tuesday in the Packers’ joint practice with the New Orleans Saints, prompting Rodgers to call out the young receivers.

    "The young guys, especially young receivers, we've got to be way more consistent," Rodgers said on Tuesday.

    "A lot of drops, a lot of bad route decisions, running the wrong route. We've got to get better in that area."

    Rodgers did not call Wednesday’s meeting but reportedly did plenty of talking during it to try to build chemistry.

    "It was just really giving us advice," rookie receiver Samori Toure said. "Basically, letting us know that the Green Bay receiving corps has always been held to a super-high standard.

    "All the legends who have been through here. It's just about us carrying on that standard and stepping up."

    For the first time since 2013, Rodgers and the Packers open a season without Davante Adams after the five-time Pro Bowl receiver was traded to the Las Vegas Raiders in March.

    In 2021, Adams was second in the NFL in receptions (123), third in receiving yards (1,553) and fifth in receiving touchdowns (11).

    Allen Lazard (40 receptions, 513 receiving yards, 8 receiving touchdowns in 2021) and Randall Cobb (38 receptions, 375 yards, 5 TDs) now take over as Rodgers’ primary targets, and both also spoke during the meeting.

    "Both Randall and Allen have been playing with 12 for quite a long time so certain things that we do, that we may have a mistake on, just from experience they've went through that same stage as well," Doubs said.

    "Just them picking up the young guys throughout these dog days of camp has been a tremendous blessing and great piece of advice."

    The message seemed to resonate with the young receivers as both Toure and Doubs caught touchdown passes in Wednesday's scrimmage with the Saints.

  • Steelers star T.J. Watt not ready to compare himself to older brother J.J. Steelers star T.J. Watt not ready to compare himself to older brother J.J.

    T.J. Watt was voted the NFL's best defensive player last season but the Pittsburgh Steelers' pass-rushing demon still feels he has a long way to go before being considered the greatest player in his own family.

    Speaking to former NFL linebacker Channing Crowder on The Pivot podcast, Watt said his accomplishments – which include tying a league record for sacks in a season in 2021 – still pale in comparison to those of his older brother J.J., a three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year award recipient.

    Though his most recent seasons have often been marred by injuries, J.J. Watt became the first player in NFL history to earn Defensive Player of the Year honours three times in a four-year span when he did so in 2012, 2014 and 2015. That feat has since been matched by Los Angeles Rams superstar Aaron Donald, whose run was ended by the younger Watt's superlative 2021 campaign in which he recorded 22.5 sacks. 

    "I want people to understand how great my brother truly was in his prime," T.J. Watt said. "I think it gets lost today, and I know he'd be upset if I said this, but I think it truly is. You go back, and you look, you watch the film, the guy was frickin' unstoppable. Absolutely unstoppable.

    "I think I'm too early in my career to compare myself to him at the moment, honestly."

    T.J. Watt does compare favourably with his sibling in at least one important category, as his 72 career sacks are the third most in league history of any player through his first five seasons since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.

    J.J. Watt ranks second on that list with 74.5, trailing only Hall of Famer Reggie White's 81.

    The elder Watt, now a member of the Arizona Cardinals after spending 10 of his first 11 seasons with the Houston Texans, has recorded only one double-digit sack season since 2016 – mainly because he has had trouble staying on the field. The 33-year-old has been limited to eight games or fewer four times in that six-year stretch.

    "I think people need to go back and look at that," T.J. Watt said about his brother's past dominance. "The guy was doing incredible things for four or five years, and I think he can still play at a high level."

    T.J. Watt enters this season with a chance to make some history of his own after producing at least 13 sacks in each of the last four years. The only player with a streak that long since 1982 is White, who did it from 1985-88 and again from 1990-93.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.