NFL

DeShaun Watson has shown lack of remorse and NFL suspension should have been longer - RAINN president

By Sports Desk December 01, 2022

DeShaun Watson has shown a lack of remorse and should have been suspended by the NFL for at least a year, according to the president of anti-sexual assault organisation RAINN.

Scott Berkowitz spoke to Stats Perform as Watson prepares to make his Cleveland Browns debut.

Watson was handed an 11-game suspension and a $5million fine following sexual assault and misconduct allegations. The 27-year-old has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and is facing no criminal charges.

The ban has meant the star quarterback has yet to debut for the Browns after his March trade from the Houston Texans, which was followed by a lucrative new contract in Cleveland.

The NFL had initially hit Watson with a six-game ban before the punishment was extended. Berkowitz was happy to see that decision taken but says there is still work to be done.

"There's no length of suspension that would make up for the damage that he did to all those women. We initially advocated for a year suspension, which I think would have been appropriate," Berkowitz told Stats Perform.

"But 11's a whole lot better than six. So, it is what it is, and he'll be back on the field. And hopefully, with some different behaviour going forward.

"It [Watson's return] was bound to come eventually. But I certainly wished this suspension had been a little longer.

"But I just appreciate that the NFL added to the initial recommendation, at least, and made it longer than it initially looked like it was going to be."

Berkowitz said he can appreciate the need for second chances, but he claims Watson has not truly accepted any wrongdoing.

Watson has settled 23 of the 24 lawsuits against him.

"I understand second chances, I think that is something as a society we need to offer folks. But usually, there's a requirement that there's remorse and that they make things better," Berkowitz said.

"I think in this case, the day the suspension was announced, I recall he first put out a quote that had been written by the team that said the right things and then he immediately followed that up with what he really thought, which is that he doesn't think he did anything wrong.

"I don't know how you talk about forgiveness to someone who doesn't feel any remorse."

Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam said on August 1 that "Deshaun is remorseful that this situation has caused much heartache to many and he will continue the work needed to show who he is on and off the field".

In a remarkable coincidence, Watson – who has a fully guaranteed $230million five-year deal with Cleveland – is set to make his Browns bow against the Texans on Sunday.

During five years in Houston (the last of which in the 2021 season Watson did not make a single appearance), he twice helped the Texans to the playoffs and was a three-time Pro-Bowler.

Berkowitz does not expect Watson to receive an overly enthusiastic reaction from the home crowd.

"I suspect it won't be a hero's greeting, or I hope it won't. You never know when a star comes back to their hometown," Berkowitz said.

"But, you know, I hope that the reaction takes into account the terrible things he's done. It's hard to be enthusiastic for rooting for a guy who's done the things that he was accused of doing."

However, Berkowitz did acknowledge the reception from Browns fans moving forward will likely depend on Watson's performances on the field.

"I'd like it to be taken into account, his actions, but I'm realistic, that's once he gets going if he plays well, that the memory of that, unfortunately, is going to fade pretty quickly," he said.

"Most fans of most teams have learned to put personalities aside and put that behaviour aside, unfortunately, and, once they're playing well, they start cheering for the guy.

"And we're all guilty of that. So, there's always that tension, when your team is putting up people who you need to win but you don't feel comfortable rooting for personally."

Related items

  • Brock Purdy set for six-month lay-off after torn UCL in NFC Championship Game Brock Purdy set for six-month lay-off after torn UCL in NFC Championship Game

    The injury Brock Purdy sustained in the San Francisco 49ers' NFC Championship Game defeat is set to sideline him for six months, according to reports.

    Breakout rookie star Purdy – the final pick in the 2022 NFL Draft – was injured on the 49ers' first drive of their big 31-7 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

    A strip sack from Haason Reddick saw Purdy's right throwing elbow injured, significantly damaging the 49ers' chances of advancing in Philadelphia.

    Backup Josh Johnson then suffered a concussion, meaning Purdy eventually returned to the game but was reluctant to throw the ball.

    NFL Network reported on Monday that Purdy's UCL in his elbow had been completely torn and he would undergo surgery, potentially for a repair, rather than a reconstruction.

    ESPN said no decision had yet been made on surgery ahead of Purdy receiving second opinions, but the team were recommending the procedure.

    The injury will see Purdy out for around six months, although that could mean he returns in time for training camp ahead of the 2023 season.

    The 49ers lost Trey Lance and Jimmy Garoppolo to injuries before Purdy was thrown in and led the team to the brink of the Super Bowl.

    The severity of this setback suggests the team will face another offseason of uncertainty at the sport's most important position.

  • Los Angeles Chargers hiring Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator Los Angeles Chargers hiring Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator

    Kellen Moore did not stay unemployed for long.

    Less than 24 hours after Moore and the Dallas Cowboys agreed to part ways, the 34-year-old reportedly agreed on Monday to join the Los Angeles Chargers to run their offence.

    The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that Moore, who had served as the Cowboys' offensive coordinator since 2019, is expected to take over for the recently fired Joe Lombardi.

    Under Lombardi, the Chargers were ranked 13th in scoring offence (23.0 points per game) and ninth in total offence (359.3 yards per game) this season and finished 10-7 to reach the playoffs for the first time since 2018.

    The team suffered a massive collapse in the playoffs, however, blowing a 20-point half-time lead while gaining just 84 second-half yards in suffering a 31-30 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the Wild Card round, leading to Lombardi's firing.

    Similarly, Moore's time with the Cowboys ended after Dallas struggled offensively in a playoff clunker, managing just 282 total yards and one touchdown in a 19-12 loss to the San Francisco 49ers in their Divisional round game.

    That showing came a week after the Cowboys racked up 425 total yards in their 31-14 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the Wild Card round and after they finished the 2022 regular season ranked fourth in the NFL in scoring (27.5 points per game) and 11th in total offense (354.9 yards per game).

    Since Moore took over Dallas' offence four years ago, the Cowboys led the NFL in total yards in 2019 and 2021 and also had the league's top-ranked scoring offense last season at 31.2 points per game.

    In Los Angeles, Moore will direct an offence led by one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL in Justin Herbert.

    The 24-year-old, who just completed his third pro season, finished second in the NFL in passing in 2022 with 4,739 yards to go with 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

  • AFC Championship Game win adds to injured Mahomes' 'already great legacy' AFC Championship Game win adds to injured Mahomes' 'already great legacy'

    Patrick Mahomes "definitely didn't feel good" in the Kansas City Chiefs' AFC Championship Game win, but his performance added to "an already great legacy", according to general manager Brett Veach.

    Superstar quarterback Mahomes sustained a high ankle sprain in the Divisional round victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

    That sort of injury would generally bring about a spell on the sidelines, but Mahomes was determined he would not miss Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals, who had won at Arrowhead Stadium last year to reach the Super Bowl.

    While clearly limping in the second half, Mahomes battled through to finish with 29-of-43 passing for 326 yards and two touchdowns in a 23-20 Chiefs success.

    Most notably, a painful five-yard run in the final seconds of the game was followed by a shove from Joseph Ossai that prompted a 15-yard penalty to put Harrison Butker in field-goal range to snatch victory.

    Mahomes' fellow Chiefs were in awe of his commitment, including GM Veach, who said: "People don't realise how hurt he was.

    "We all saw the injury. High ankles are terrible injuries, and sometimes guys miss two, three weeks, and he was out there and running for a first down and a big play in the game that got us in field-goal range.

    "But it just adds to an already great legacy."

    Mahomes' pain was not in doubt for those watching, but he emphasised afterwards: "I definitely didn't feel good.

    "I think the worst one was when I fumbled. I tried to pick it up, and that was probably the worst I tweaked it during the game.

    "[The team] got me as close as they could to 100 per cent. Then I just battled through, and I'll have a few more weeks to get it ready [for the Super Bowl]."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.