All Blacks coach Foster re-signs until end of 2023 Rugby World Cup

By Sports Desk August 23, 2021

All Blacks head coach Ian Foster has signed a contract extension through to the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

New Zealand Rugby (NZR) made the announcement on Tuesday after Foster replaced Steve Hansen on a two-year deal beginning in 2020.

The All Blacks – who retained the Bledisloe Cup and claimed the Tri-Nations last year – won just three of their 2020 Tests, with a draw and loss to rivals Australia, and an historic defeat to Argentina in Sydney.

Foster's New Zealand are flawless in 2021, including a 102-0 demolition of Tonga, having defended the Bledisloe Cup again versus the Wallabies.

"Firstly, I want to acknowledge the board and NZR for the faith they have shown in reappointing me," Foster said. "It's a privilege to be part of the All Blacks and I don't take that for granted.

"It's clearly been a challenging couple of years with Covid-19, but I've been hugely proud of the resilience shown by the team. I'm personally driven to have our team continue to succeed as we build to Rugby World Cup 2023.

"What is equally important to me is the fact that I'm just one part of an outstanding coaching and management team and to continue working with them is a privilege and inspires me to be the best head coach I can be.

"We have the immediate challenge of this year's Fortinet Rugby Championship and then the tour North, but 2022 and 2023 will bring their own challenges. I'm really excited to be leading the team into the future and can't wait to get stuck into our work."

NZR CEO Mark Robinson added: "Ian has faced extraordinary times since he was first appointed, with the uncertainty of Covid-19 and the numerous challenges it has thrown up, and he's shown remarkable composure and resolve to lead incredibly well through it all.

"Foz has built an outstanding culture and environment in the team with an inclusive and collaborative approach and maintained a steady, clear focus on our goal of being Number one in the world again.

"There is no doubt Foz and his team are performing extremely well in trying conditions and we are pleased to send a strong signal of support to create certainty in our environment and allow the management team and player group to plan for the future.

"On behalf of NZR and the board, I want to congratulate Foz and his team and wish them all the best for the rest of this season and beyond."

Related items

  • 'These games can define things' - Rodrygo targeting World Cup glory with Brazil 'These games can define things' - Rodrygo targeting World Cup glory with Brazil

    Rodrygo has his sights set on World Cup glory with Brazil later this year following his call-up to the squad.

    The Real Madrid winger has been selected by Tite for his nation's qualifiers against Ecuador and Paraguay this week.

    The Selecao, who sit top of the CONMEBOL qualifying table, are already guaranteed a place in Qatar having collected 35 points from their opening 13 matches. 

    Rodrygo has three senior caps to his name and knows the upcoming games present an opportunity for him to stake his claim to appear at the finals, and helping Brazil claim a sixth World Cup triumph – and first since 2002 – tops his priority list for this calendar year.

    "It is very important for me to be [back in the] Brazil [squad]," he said in quotes reported on Marca via TNT Brazil.

    "It was a goal to return to [the] Brazil [squad]. I think these games can define things, and I hope to play and settle in the national team.

    "All Brazilians want to be in Qatar. I'm going to work to try to be there. If I play well, I have a chance [to go].

    "[If I had to choose a title to win in 2022, I'd say] the World Cup."

    Rodrygo has made 17 appearances for Madrid in LaLiga this season, with 11 of those coming as a substitute – the same as Luka Jovic – with none of his team-mates appearing from the bench more often. 

    He has had more joy in the Champions League however, scoring in victories over Inter and Shakhtar Donetsk.

    The 21-year-old has attempted 16 dribbles in Europe's premier competition this term, with Vinicius Junior (36) the only Los Blancos player to top that.

    Rodrygo will hope to be involved again as Carlo Ancelotti's side face Paris Saint-Germain in the round of 16, and he is excited by the prospect of lining up against one of his compatriots.

    "This game could have come a bit later [in the competition]," he added.

    "They have some of the best players in the world. We know it's difficult, but it's a collective effort that will give us the chance to go through.

    "Playing against Neymar will be special. I hope Real Madrid win."

  • Ford recalled by England for Six Nations due to Farrell injury, May ruled out Ford recalled by England for Six Nations due to Farrell injury, May ruled out

    George Ford is back in the England squad ahead of the upcoming Six Nations as Eddie Jones awaits an update on captain Owen Farrell, but Jonny May is out.

    Farrell has endured an injury-hit season so far and suffered a setback in training last week, with his club Saracens revealing he was set to see a specialist about the unspecified issue.

    While he is all but ruled out of the Six Nations opener against Scotland on February 5, England are yet to confirm if Farrell can return after the Calcutta Cup clash.

    Nevertheless, Ford is back in the selection to make up for Farrell's absence against Scotland, with the Leicester Tigers fly-half seemingly set for his 78th cap.

    Ford has not played for England since the 32-18 Six Nations defeat to Ireland last March, with Marcus Smith's emergence nudging him down the pecking order, but he has the chance to stake his claim once again.

    Also in Monday's squad update, England confirmed May has withdrawn from the squad with a knee injury, while Courtney Lawes – initially one of the favourites to deputise as captain in Farrell's stead – must sit out training this week because of head injury protocols.

    Nick Isiekwe has joined up with the squad as cover for Lawes, while Elliot Daly is in for May.

     

  • Liverpool's Salah and Mane face off for World Cup spot after African qualifying draw Liverpool's Salah and Mane face off for World Cup spot after African qualifying draw

    Liverpool forwards Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane will do battle for a place at the 2022 Qatar World Cup after their nations were drawn together in African qualifying.

    Salah and Mane, who are both currently at the Africa Cup of Nations, have been an integral part of Liverpool's success over the past few years, and are considered to be two of the world's best forwards.

    However, just one of them will be at the World Cup later this year after Salah's Egypt were paired with Mane's Senegal in the African qualifying play-off round.

    The remaining 10 teams in African qualifying will face off in two-legged play-offs for the continent's five spots at the tournament.

    Algeria will play Cameroon, Nigeria were paired with Ghana, while Morocco have been drawn against DR Congo.

    The final tie will see Tunisia face Mali, with all fixtures taking place in March.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.