Rennie backs Lolesio to bounce back from 'rough night with the boot'

By Sports Desk August 07, 2021

Noah Lolesio's wayward kicking cost Australia at Eden Park on Saturday, but the Wallabies plan to keep faith with their young fly-half.

Lolesio, 21, entered the Bledisloe Cup opener against New Zealand with 52 Test points in 2021, trailing only Johnny Sexton (65) among players for tier one nations.

But he added just five in a 33-25 All Blacks victory, missing two of three penalties and three of four conversions.

Windy conditions did not help Lolesio, yet his profligacy proved the difference between the sides as Australia's run of defeats in Auckland – where Lolesio was born – extended to 21 Tests.

Coach Dave Rennie was in forgiving mood, though, with the number 10 having contributed 23 points in a series decider against France just last month.

"He was sensational in the French series and you don't go from an ace goal kicker to a novice overnight," Rennie said. "Tough conditions – we saw Richie [Mo'unga] miss as well.

"He kicked penalties in the French series to win the first and third Test and one that should have won us the second one. Yes, he'll be disappointed.

"We've got a lot of faith in the kid. He's going to get better and better, he's 21 and there are a lot of young men around him as well.

"He's growing and he's an impressive kid, too, very confident, great work ethic, he's spending a lot of time sitting around with Quade [Cooper] and talking about the generic parts of his game.

"He played pretty well tonight, but he had a rough night with the boot."

Captain Michael Hooper added: "We pick each other up. As Dave said, his boot guided us through a series win.

"In a goal kicker's career, there's going to be nights like that. He'll be better from it. He'll learn from that for sure."

Related items

  • Saints in the dark over Sean Payton's future Saints in the dark over Sean Payton's future

    Sean Payton is yet to confirm to the New Orleans Saints whether he will remain as head coach for the 2022 season. 

    Payton has been at the helm in New Orleans since 2006, but reports in recent days have suggested he is far from certain to return next year. 

    In their first season since Drew Brees' retirement, the Saints marginally missed the playoffs with a 9-8 record. 

    It still marked another fine coaching performance from Payton, who had his team evacuated early in the year due to a hurricane and later had to deal with a number of coronavirus and injury absences. 

    Jameis Winston, promoted to a starting role at quarterback in Brees' place, tore his ACL in October following a promising 5-2 start in which he threw 14 touchdown passes and only three interceptions. 

    Payton, who is under contract through 2024, has a 152-89 regular-season record – the 13th-best of all time (minimum 100 games) – while he is 9-8 in the playoffs, winning Super Bowl XLIV. 

    The Saints hope he will further improve those totals next season, although owner Gayle Benson knows little more than New Orleans fans at this stage. 

    "We don't know," she told FOX 8 NOLA on Monday. "You know, who knows? We'll find out soon enough, I guess. 

    "I don't think any of us know. But he'll let us know soon enough." 

  • Fiorentina have received 'important offers' for Vlahovic Fiorentina have received 'important offers' for Vlahovic

    Fiorentina have received "important offers" for Dusan Vlahovic and would even be willing to let him move to rivals Juventus. 

    Vlahovic is one of the most in-demand players in Europe after a sensational 2021 saw him join Cristiano Ronaldo and Luca Toni as the only players in the past 60 years to score more than 30 Serie A goals in a calendar year. 

    The 21-year-old has found the back of the net 20 times in 24 appearances in all competitions this season alone, with Ciro Immobile (21) the only Serie A player to have registered more. 

    Vlahovic will be out of contract at the end of next season and has been heavily linked with Juve, Arsenal and Manchester City.

    Fiorentina are open to selling him and have received offers, but the lack of responses from the player's camp have hampered their chances of doing a deal during the January transfer window. 

    The Viola are hoping to receive in the region of €70million but have also offered the striker a new contract in an attempt to avoid losing him for nothing when his deal expires. 

    "We've received some important offers for him but have never received feedback from his agents," Fiorentina sporting director Daniele Prade told Sportitalia. 

    "There has always been great transparency on our part in all communication. All the doors are open. We really want to understand what the agents and the player want to do. 

    "We're ready to spend money with important offers for his renewal. We also have important offers to sell him. A club like Fiorentina cannot afford to lose a player on a free transfer.  

    "They were all valid and satisfactory offers, with payment methods that suited us. We couldn't go ahead with the deal because there was never any contact with the player's agents. 

    "It's an important valuation, over €70million with no swap deal and no way of paying in instalments. The president has imposed this on us." 

    Asked specifically if Fiorentina would even be willing to sell to Juve, Prade replied: "The doors are open to everyone." 

  • Ford recalled by England for Six Nations due to Farrell injury, May ruled out Ford recalled by England for Six Nations due to Farrell injury, May ruled out

    George Ford is back in the England squad ahead of the upcoming Six Nations as Eddie Jones awaits an update on captain Owen Farrell, but Jonny May is out.

    Farrell has endured an injury-hit season so far and suffered a setback in training last week, with his club Saracens revealing he was set to see a specialist about the unspecified issue.

    While he is all but ruled out of the Six Nations opener against Scotland on February 5, England are yet to confirm if Farrell can return after the Calcutta Cup clash.

    Nevertheless, Ford is back in the selection to make up for Farrell's absence against Scotland, with the Leicester Tigers fly-half seemingly set for his 78th cap.

    Ford has not played for England since the 32-18 Six Nations defeat to Ireland last March, with Marcus Smith's emergence nudging him down the pecking order, but he has the chance to stake his claim once again.

    Also in Monday's squad update, England confirmed May has withdrawn from the squad with a knee injury, while Courtney Lawes – initially one of the favourites to deputise as captain in Farrell's stead – must sit out training this week because of head injury protocols.

    Nick Isiekwe has joined up with the squad as cover for Lawes, while Elliot Daly is in for May.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.