Scottish rugby union legend Weir dies, aged 52

By Sports Desk November 26, 2022

Former Scotland rugby union international Doddie Weir has died at the age of 52.

Weir was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in June 2017, and his death was confirmed by his family on Saturday.

He was capped 61 times for Scotland, making his debut against Argentina in November 1990.

Weir was also a part of the British and Irish Lions' successful tour of South Africa in 1997, while his final Scotland cap came in a Six Nations defeat to France in March 2000.

After announcing his MND diagnosis, Weir helped raise millions for charity via the My Name'5 Doddie foundation.

A statement published on Scotland Rugby's website on Saturday from Weir's wife Kathy read: "It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our beloved husband and father, Doddie.

"Doddie was an inspirational force of nature. His unending energy and drive, and his strength of character powered him through his rugby and business careers and, we believe, enabled him to fight the effects of MND for so many years.

"Doddie put the same energy and even more love and fun into our lives together. He was a true family man. Whether working together on the farm, on holiday, or celebrating occasions with wider family and friends, Doddie was always in the thick of it.

"We are lucky to have shared our lives with him and we cherish all those memories. His love and warmth, his support and advice, his quick wit, and his terrible jokes. It is difficult to put into words how much we will miss him.

"MND took so much from Doddie, but never his spirit and determination. He battled MND so bravely, and whilst his own battle may be over, his fight continues through his foundation, until a cure is found for all those with this devastating disease.

"Hamish, Angus, Ben [Weir's children] and I would like to thank everyone for your support and for respecting our privacy at this difficult time."

Related items

  • Bernard Laporte quits as French rugby chief after corruption conviction Bernard Laporte quits as French rugby chief after corruption conviction

    Bernard Laporte resigned as president of the French Rugby Federation on Friday as his hopes of returning to power in time for the Rugby World Cup crumbled.

    The former France head coach stepped back from his latest position with the federation (FFR) in December after being given a two-year suspended prison sentence and a €75,000 fine for corruption.

    He denied wrongdoing and intends to appeal against his court punishments, which meant the FFR did not immediately oust Laporte and instead decided to render him effectively powerless pending the attempt to clear his name.

    Sports minister Amelie Oudea-Castera called for Laporte to go in December, however, and he chose to permanently step down in the wake of clubs this week voting against his choice of president-delegate, Patrick Buisson.

    Around 2,000 clubs took part in the vote, with 51.06 per cent saying they did not approve of Laporte proposing Buisson for the interim role.

    The Rugby World Cup gets under way in France in September, and Laporte, president since 2016, had appeared eager to be back in charge of the FFR by then.

    Les Bleus won the Grand Slam last year, and Laporte departs just eight days before the 2023 Six Nations begins.

    Reports said Laporte delivered news of his resignation to the FFR executive committee on Friday morning at a meeting in Marcoussis, on the outskirts of Paris.

    Oudea-Castera later told reporters: "I can give you confirmation of the resignation of Bernard Laporte. I welcome this decision, it was necessary at the end of this consultation in which the clubs were massively mobilised.

    "The ethics committee played its role of supervision in this time of consultation which went well with dignified debates. Bernard Laporte drew the conclusions, which is a good thing for French rugby, its values ​​and the future."

    Laporte stepped down from his role as vice-chairman of World Rugby within hours of his conviction in December, which also saw him banned from rugby involvement for two years pending the outcome of any appeal.

    Laporte was released without charge on Tuesday of this week after being detained as part of a tax fraud investigation.

    His lawyer, Jean-Pierre Versini-Campinchi, told the AFP news agency that Laporte had "neither been accused of having defrauded nor of having received any money".

  • Six Nations: England's Daly ruled out for whole of tournament Six Nations: England's Daly ruled out for whole of tournament

    Elliot Daly has been ruled out of England's Six Nations campaign with a hamstring injury, his club Saracens have confirmed.

    Versatile back Daly withdrew from England's squad on Tuesday ahead of their opening match against Scotland at Twickenham a week on Saturday.

    The 30-year-old, who sustained the injury ahead of Saracens' 20-14 Champions Cup loss to Edinburgh last week, is expected to miss around 12 weeks.

    Saracens confirmed the news in a short statement on their official website on Friday, ending Daly's hopes of recovering in time to play a part.

    England conclude their Six Nations campaign against Ireland on March 18 – seven weeks' time – as they begin a new era under head coach Steve Borthwick.

    Jamie George also pulled out of England's training squad earlier this week, with Jamie Blamire and Ollie Lawrence called up as replacements.

    Borthwick is also set to be without Courtney Lawes for his first match in charge at Twickenham next week, as the towering lock is struggling with a calf injury.

    Hooker George McGuigan (knee) is also in the treatment room along with Luke Cowan-Dickie (ankle).

    Blamire, Tom Dunn and the uncapped Jack Walker are the remaining hooker options for Borthwick. 

  • England scrum-half Youngs cites balance between rewards and risks amid tackle law debate England scrum-half Youngs cites balance between rewards and risks amid tackle law debate

    England scrum-half Ben Youngs believes rugby union's rewards are a counterpoint to the risks and has called for clarity amid revisions to the game's tackling laws.

    A backlash has grown through the domestic sport following the Rugby Football Union's decision to limit players to tackles below the waist.

    The rule change is set to come into force from July, and will affect the lower tiers of the English rugby pyramid.

    Amid calls for an RFU special general meeting from the community game, Youngs has laid out the pros and cons for the change while urging patience.

    "Rugby does have its risks, but it also has its huge rewards," Youngs told BBC Sport. "A bit of clarity and help will go a long way, I'm sure.

    "I know all the local coaches, everyone at grassroots level, the referees, everyone who gives up their time for the community game, I think clarity for them as well [is needed].

    "From the chest down is probably safe enough; that's what I believe."

    The 33-year-old, the most-capped England men's international in history with 121 games under his belt, suggested the safety debate should not neuter the principles of the sport.

    "I think for rugby union the camaraderie the game gives you, the values, the respect, working together as a team, leadership, being part of something; that all outweighs [the risks]," he added.

    "We want safety, but we also want rugby. We don't want that to go."

    Youngs will hope to add to his collection of caps when England kick off their Six Nations campaign under his former Leicester Tigers coach Steve Borthwick against Scotland next month.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.