Wallabies performance 'just wasn't good enough', accepts Slipper

By Sports Desk September 24, 2022

Australia were again left "gutted" after being beaten by New Zealand for the second week running, with captain James Slipper accepting their performance "just wasn't good enough".

The Wallabies had lost 39-37 at home last week in dramatic fashion, but there was a far wider margin on Saturday.

The All Blacks were 17-0 ahead at half-time of the Rugby Championship clash after a pair of early Australia yellow cards and never looked likely to cede that comfortable advantage as they ran out 40-14 winners at Eden Park.

"That's a very disappointing outcome for us," Slipper told Sky.

"We wanted to come here and perform; we were really gutted with the result last week, and we had a lot of confidence coming in, but the ABs were too good, clearly."

He added: "I'm just gutted the way we performed. It just wasn't good enough."

Coach Dave Rennie bemoaned "way too soft penalties" on top of the early trips to the sin bin for both Jed Holloway and Dave Porecki.

Analysing the match, he said: "We got shaded everywhere, didn't we?

"I thought the All Blacks' defence was excellent; we had enough ball at times to find a way through and didn't.

"We didn't defend well enough, and you can't give a side like the All Blacks that much time and space. They're good enough to hurt us."

Related items

  • Gatland 'under no illusions' of reputational risk on Wales return after replacing Pivac Gatland 'under no illusions' of reputational risk on Wales return after replacing Pivac

    Warren Gatland is "under no illusions" he has to deliver for Wales otherwise he risks damaging his legacy upon his return as head coach.

    Wayne Pivac was relieved of his duties on Monday by the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) after defeats against New Zealand, Georgia and Australia last month.

    That opened the door for Gatland, a three-time Six Nations winner with Wales, to make a sensational return to the role Pivac replaced him in after the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

    Gatland, whose first stint with Wales lasted 12 years, will take charge in the Six Nations, the World Cup in France next year and potentially through to the 2027 tournament in Australia.

    The 59-year-old reached the top of World Rugby's rankings with Wales in his final year and acknowledged he must achieve similar success on his return.

    When asked if his second appointment could damage his reputation, Gatland said: "That's the exciting thing about it, isn't it?

    "If you're a flop and fail... I'm under no illusions what the expectations are in the next 10 months.

    "I've always loved the challenge, I've always loved going into environments where there are expectations and hopefully exceeding those expectations.

    "That's part of professional sport, there are ups and downs. You live by your results and performances.

    "I'm excited about it, but there are pressures and risks. I'm confident I can come in and hopefully make a difference and get a side together who are proud to put that jersey on, and when they go out there and represent Wales in front of home fans they're prepared to die for that jersey.

    "Those are my expectations and I don't expect anything less from the players in terms of what it means to play for Wales – the history, the expectation.

    "If we can achieve that in a short period of time, I think that will give us the best opportunity to be successful."

    The New Zealander inherits a Wales side that have won just three of 12 games in 2022, though he is relishing the challenge in store after leaving Super Rugby side the Chiefs.

    "I can hit the ground running. Obviously, there's a new group of players," he added.

    "There's a process I've got to go through over the next few weeks and get a real feel for the place again, so it's like 2007-2008 and coming in completely cold.

    "That's a massive advantage I've got in terms of knowing Wales and the set-up. I can come in and hopefully be seamless in stepping into the role."

    As for his long-term future with Wales, Gatland remains focused on getting his side into shape for the World Cup, which starts on September 8.

    "At the moment my immediate focus is between now and the World Cup, and afterwards it's myself and Steve Phillips [WRU chief executive] talking about possibilities going forward," he continued.

    "During that 10 months we've got to be showing we've made progress and we've been successful, and then potentially other opportunities arise from that.

    "That's how we are at the moment. There's no certainty, but I'm comfortable with that, so if the next 10 months is not successful then you are involved in professional sport and know what the consequences are.

    "I'm comfortable and confident that I can come in and make a difference, and create an environment we can be successful in. If that happens then potentially other discussions may take place.

    "But I'm not looking past the next 10 months, I'm not looking past France."

  • Cowan-Dickie to end England career after Rugby World Cup with Montpellier move Cowan-Dickie to end England career after Rugby World Cup with Montpellier move

    Luke Cowan-Dickie will end his England career after the Rugby World Cup next year by joining Top 14 heavyweights Montpellier.

    The hooker, who has won 42 England caps and three for the British and Irish Lions, will end his 12-year spell with Exeter Chiefs to move to France at the end of the season.

    Cowan-Dickie follows his Exeter team-mate Sam Simmonds in making the switch from Sandy Park to Montpellier.

    "It's gutting to be leaving," said the 29-year-old, who has made 163 appearances for the Chiefs.

    "I've been at the Chiefs for 12 years and it's all I've known. That said, this opportunity came up and it was one that I had to think long and hard about. I spoke a lot with my family about it and it wasn't an easy decision to make in the end.

    "Obviously, it's a different competition, a different language – which I'll have to learn – but I think it's time for a change.

    "Hopefully, I've still got plenty of years left in my career, but this is an opportunity for me to go over there and show what I am all about."

    Fellow England international Joe Marchant has also joined the exodus of Premiership players to France, the centre opting to join Stade Francais next season from Harlequins.

  • Springboks World Cup winner Nkosi found 'safe and sound' Springboks World Cup winner Nkosi found 'safe and sound'

    South Africa winger Sbu Nkosi has been found "safe and sound" after being reported as missing last week.

    Nkosi's club the Bulls revealed on Sunday there was "grave worry" for the 2019 World Cup winner after he had been absent without leave for three weeks.

    The Pretoria-based club opened a missing person case with the police, but on Monday revealed good news on the 26-year-old.

    A Bulls statement said: "The Blue Bulls Company and the Bulls family are happy to confirm that contracted player, Sbu Nkosi, has been found safe and sound.

    "After lengthy and extensive efforts from the Vodacom Bulls, in collaboration with SSG – who have gone beyond their commercial responsibility – at 14:02pm on Monday 05 December 2022, Nkosi was located.

    "Once it was established that Nkosi was safe, unharmed and in a position to speak, chief executive Edgar Rathbone went into Nkosi's home (with the permission of the player), spending alone time with him, to understand how best the company can provide him with the support he needs and what that support is.

    "As the Bulls family, we are thrilled that Nkosi is safe.

    "We wish to extend a vote of thanks to all the members of the public who shared information that contributed to our search. We wish to also express a word of thanks to the international community who also joined the call and efforts in searching for Nkosi.

    "At this present moment, we cannot give further comments on the matter."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.