ATP

Thiem contracts COVID-19 just after long-awaited return

By Sports Desk March 30, 2022

Dominic Thiem's bad luck continued as the former world number three confirmed he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Thiem only made his return to action on Tuesday, having not featured on the ATP Tour since June last year.

The Austrian underwent surgery on a wrist injury that kept him out of Wimbledon and also prevented him from defending his US Open title, while he also missed this year's Australian Open.

Having opted to push back his comeback further by skipping Indian Wells and the Miami Open, Thiem instead decided to play at the Challenger Tour's Andalucia Open.

His return was short-lived, as Thiem went down 6-3 6-4 to Pedro Cachin.

And Thiem will now face another spell out, after revealing he has contracted coronavirus.

"Looks like lately the good news don't last long... last night after dinner, I started feeling unwell and didn't have a good night," Thiem wrote on his official Instagram account.

"After developing mild symptoms I decided to take a test this morning, which came back positive for COVID-19.

"Now I have to wait and see how it develops. I'll keep you posted. Thank you all in advance for your support!"

Related items

  • Wimbledon: Cilic withdraws after testing positive for Covid-19 Wimbledon: Cilic withdraws after testing positive for Covid-19
  • Wimbledon: Murray intends to savour Centre Court appearances after recovering to beat Duckworth Wimbledon: Murray intends to savour Centre Court appearances after recovering to beat Duckworth

    Andy Murray said he intends to make the most of every appearance on Centre Court after recovering from one set down to beat James Duckworth in his Wimbledon opener.

    Two-time Wimbledon champion Murray took two hours and 43 minutes to record a 4-6 6-3 6-2 6-4 win over the Australian, maintaining his record of having never fallen at the first hurdle in SW19.

    Murray is making just his second Wimbledon appearance since 2017 and is looking to better last year's run to the third round, where he suffered a straight-sets reverse against Denis Shapovalov.

    Having endured a spate of injuries and undergone two hip surgeries since his last Wimbledon triumph in 2016, the 35-year-old said he will enjoy every opportunity he gets to play in front of a home crowd on Centre Court.

    "It's amazing to be back out here again with a full crowd after the last few years, amazing atmosphere," he said.

    "Obviously I'm getting on a bit now, so I don't know how many more opportunities I'll get to play on this court. I want to make the most of every time I get to come out here now.

    "I'm glad I managed to get through and hopefully I'll get another match on here in a couple of days."

    After fighting back to beat the world number 74, Murray expressed his hope he could grow into the tournament as he advances. 

    "I thought I did well to rebound after the first set, he likes playing on the grass, he's come back from a hip surgery himself in January and was playing very well," he added.

    "Once I started to find my returns a little bit more as the match went on, I felt a bit more comfortable and did well to get through.

    "Naturally, there's always nerves and pressure and butterflies and stress and all of those things before the first match, it was a longer build-up for me than usual because of the ab injury I had after Stuttgart [where Murray finished as runner-up earlier this month].

    "I've done a lot of practising here, I've been at the venue a lot in the last couple of weeks so yeah, it was great to get out here, get a win under my belt and hopefully I'll play better from here on in."

    Murray will face big-serving American John Isner in the second round on Wednesday, having won each of the duo's eight previous head-to-head meetings.

  • Wimbledon: Alcaraz not feeling title pressure after surviving 'great battle' with Struff Wimbledon: Alcaraz not feeling title pressure after surviving 'great battle' with Struff

    Carlos Alcaraz insisted he is not feeling any pressure to be among the Wimbledon favourites after coming through a marathon four-hour clash with Jan-Lennard Struff to reach the second round.

    Alcaraz, whose four Tour-level titles in 2022 are more than any other player on the ATP Tour, has been tipped for a deep run at Wimbledon after surging to seventh in the world rankings.

    But the 19-year-old was on the brink of a stunning first-round exit when he was taken to a fourth-set tie-break at 2-1 down on Monday, eventually recovering to post a gruelling 4-6 7-5 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 6-4 win on No. 1 Court.

    In his post-match media conference, the Spaniard reiterated last week's claim that he is not one of the favourites to triumph in London, although he said he could win the tournament if he plays to the best of his ability.

    "I don't feel the pressure because I don't rank myself as one of the favourites to win this tournament," Alcaraz said.

    "Obviously if I play well, I have [the] level to win the tournament, but there are a lot more experienced players on grass. I don't feel the pressure."

    Alcaraz also conceded his grass-court game can still improve as he hailed his tremendous serving display – which brought him 30 aces, as the reason for his victory.

    "I enjoyed [the match] a lot," he added. "Great battle over four hours. For me, [to] play on grass is so beautiful. I like to play on grass. 

    "I would say my level on grass has to improve a little bit, but I'm happy with my level.

    "I didn't expect to move as well as I did. I mean, I played really well, I felt really well playing on grass and I still don't know how I served [so well].

    "This is probably my best match serving. This was a weapon that I used [and] that's why I won – the serve, for sure."

    Alcaraz will face Tallon Griekspoor in the second round after the Dutch player overcame Fabio Fognini in four sets on day one.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.