Australian Open: 'It's never too late to try again' – emotional Cornet reflects on reaching maiden grand slam quarter-final

By Sports Desk January 24, 2022

An emotional Alize Cornet said "it is never too late to try again" after reaching her maiden grand slam quarter-final with victory over Simona Halep at the Australian Open.

Cornet, who celebrated her 32nd birthday on Saturday, battled to a 6-4 3-6 6-4 victory in stifling conditions on Rod Laver Arena to set up a last-eight showdown with Danielle Collins, who beat Elise Mertens in three sets.

The Frenchwoman has now defeated two in-form former number ones in Halep and Garbine Muguruza, having also recovered from a set and 1-4 down to overcome Tamara Zidansek.

She is through to her first quarter-final in what is her 63rd grand slam appearance and is the first Frenchwoman to reach this stage at Melbourne Park since Marion Bartoli in 2009.

Cornet is playing in her 60th straight major, and should she compete in the main draws at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows, will set a new record for consecutive appearances in grand slams.

"It feels amazing," Cornet said in her on-court interview with Jelena Dokic. "It was a battle with Simona today. In this heat after 30 minutes we were both dying on the court.

"We kept going for two and a half hours with all our heart. Congrats to Simona because I know she struggled a lot and I admire this player so much. 

"She's such a fighter and an example to me. To beat her today to go to my first quarter-final is a dream come true. I don't know what to say. It's just magic. It's never too late to try again.

"This is why I keep playing tennis, for this moment where I can share all these emotions on the court with you."

Cornet had reached the last 16 at majors on five occasions prior to her victory over Halep in a run dating back 13 years when narrowly missing out on the Australian Open quarter-finals.

She was pegged back from a set and break up against Halep, losing 16 straight points at one point, and was clearly struggling with the heat as the match dragged into a decider.

But Cornet, who recently suggested this might be her final season playing professional tennis, showed incredible resolve to break Halep in the seventh game and hold her own serve to break her quarter-final hoodoo.

Halep congratulated Cornet, posting to her official Instagram account: "You have been stronger today! All the respect for you, Alize. Enjoy. I'll keep working to get better for another three-hour match when we meet again."

In her post-match media duties, Halep said: "I have only nice words about her, because I like her on court, how she's fighting.

"She deserves what is happening to her now. She works hard all the time, and I wish her good luck. I really want her to make this dream coming true."

There was to be another emotional moment for Cornet at the end of her victory speech as she praised 2009 Australian Open quarter-finalist Dokic for her work off the court since retiring eight years ago.

"I want to thank my box, but also I want to tell you something... how you moved on in your life, I think we can all congratulate you. You were an amazing player and now an amazing commentator," Cornet said as the pair embraced on court.

Dokic, who last week called out social media trolls for body-shaming her, responded: "You just made me cry. I can’t believe I'm crying. Thank you. Alize Cornet."

Related items

  • Arsenal midfielder Elneny signs new deal Arsenal midfielder Elneny signs new deal

    Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny has signed a new deal with the Premier League club.

    The Egypt international signed for the Gunners in January 2016 from FC Basel, making his debut in an FA Cup win over Burnley.

    He has since played 147 games for the Gunners, scoring five goals as well as recording 10 assists. Arsenal have not confirmed the length of Elneny's contract.

    Speaking to Arsenal Media, Elneny said: "I love this club and I feel like part of this family.

    "I want to continue at this amazing club and amazing family and I'm very happy and very excited for the future."

    Arsenal narrowly missed out on fourth place and Champions League qualification on the final day of the Premier League season, and Elneny was in and out of the side during the campaign, partly due to his participation in Egypt's run to the Africa Cup of Nations final.

    The 29-year-old played 14 league games, eight of which were starts, and no Arsenal player had a better passing accuracy percentage in league games than his 93.45.

    Elneny spent time away from Arsenal in the 2019-20 season, when he joined Besiktas on loan, and his contract was due to expire at the end of June.

    Mikel Arteta said on Sunday following Arsenal's 5-1 win over Everton that the futures of Elneny, Eddie Nketiah and Alexandre Lacazette (the other two players out of contract) had been decided, and it was simply a matter of communicating the news.

    "Mo is a really important part of the team," Arteta told Arsenal Media following confirmation of Elneny's new deal. 

    "He brings endless energy, enthusiasm and commitment to the team and is loved by everyone.

    "He's an important player for us on and off the pitch, a real role model to our younger players and I'm delighted he's staying."

  • Tottenham's record-setting teenager Scarlett agrees new deal until 2026 Tottenham's record-setting teenager Scarlett agrees new deal until 2026

    Tottenham teenager Dane Scarlett has signed a new contract that will take him through to the end of the 2025-26 season in north London.

    The forward became the youngest player to feature for Spurs in the Premier League when he made his debut against West Brom in February 2021, at the age of 16 years and 320 days.

    He had previously become the club's youngest player to feature in a major European competition, following a Europa League appearance against Ludogorets in November 2020.

    His assist against RZ Pellets WAC in February saw him become the fourth different 16-year-old to provide an assist in the Europa League (since the 2009 rebrand) after Romelu Lukaku, Iker Muniain and Kylian Mbappe.

    Scarlett made seven first-team appearances in the 2021-22 season, including being named in the starting XI for three Europa Conference League fixtures.

    While Spurs clearly see a future for Scarlett, reports have suggested Antonio Conte has been promised up to six new signings ahead of next season after securing Champions League qualification.

    On Tuesday, Tottenham announced a capital injection of up to £150million from the club's majority shareholder ENIC Sports Inc (ENIC) that could further boost Spurs' transfer plans.

  • Jets QB Wilson feels 'better for sure' after 13-pound offseason weight gain Jets QB Wilson feels 'better for sure' after 13-pound offseason weight gain

    New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson says he hopes having more weight will improve his performances after piling on the pounds following a disappointing rookie season in the NFL.

    The 22-year-old was selected second overall in the 2021 NFL Draft but did not have the desired impact during his first season out of college.

    Wilson threw for 2,334 yards, just nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions, with a dismal pass completion rate of 55.6 per cent.

    He also struggled physically over a punishing first year, sacked 44 times in 13 games as no QB in the NFL lost more sack yards (370, tied with Joe Burrow).

    But the ex-BYU man has added 13 pounds over the offseason, returning to the Jets as "a better athlete", he says.

    "I feel better for sure," Wilson added. "The energy, the ability to have that stamina throughout the whole practice is better.

    "In the long run, once we get into a game when we actually get hit and tackled, having more size on me will help."

    Having gone 3-10 as a starter last year, Wilson hopes for a stronger second season.

    The Jets have bolstered their offensive ranks, adding tight ends C.J. Uzomah and Tyler Conklin and drafting wide receiver Garrett Wilson and running back Breece Hall.

    "I feel like the entire staff, from the GM to ownership on down, those guys have done a great done of getting the pieces we need," Wilson said.

    "I think it comes back to my job. Now I have to do my job of getting these playmakers the ball.

    "How can I get these big tight ends, these really good receivers and these running backs the ball in space and do what we brought them here to do?

    "We're definitely going to be better. I don't think we'll be able to tell until the first game, but the improvement is there.

    "We have the talent, we have the guys. Now can we tie it all together and put something together?"

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.