WTA

MCG Ashes Test and Australian Open to have capacity crowds

By Sports Desk November 18, 2021

The MCG Ashes Test and the Australian Open will be watched by capacity crowds following the easing of coronavirus restrictions in Victoria.

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews has announced there will no longer be limits on gatherings in the state.

Andrews had revealed last month, when the latest lockdown ended, that he was hopeful at least 80,000 will be able to attend the Boxing Day Test.

Australia and England can now look forward to playing in front of a full house of 100,000 next month.

The first grand slam of the year, starting at Melbourne Park on January 17, is also set to be played without a cap on the number of spectators allowed in.

"Whether it's 100,000 people at the MCG on Boxing Day or a smaller group of people standing up at the … local pub, this is the COVID-normal that every Victorian has built," he said at a press conference.

Crowds for the 2021 Australian Open were limited to 30,000 people per day – around half capacity – prior to a snap lockdown being implemented during the tournament.

No more than 30,000 were permitted in the MCG for Australia's Boxing Day Test against India last year.

Related items

  • McCullum aware England appointment a 'big risk' but hopes to transform red-ball cricket McCullum aware England appointment a 'big risk' but hopes to transform red-ball cricket

    Brendon McCullum concedes England took "a big risk" by appointing him as men's Test coach, but hopes his side can reinvigorate interest in red-ball cricket across the world.

    England's new men's managing director Rob Key chose New Zealand great McCullum ahead of the likes of Gary Kirsten and interim coach Paul Collingwood.

    McCullum will be tasked with transforming England's fortunes in five-day cricket after just one win in 17 Tests led to the resignation of captain Joe Root, with Ben Stokes his replacement.

    However, McCullum's experience comes from white-ball cricket, where he has only ever coached T20 franchises; Indian Premier League side Kolkata Knight Riders and their Caribbean Premier League affiliate Trinbago Knight Riders.

    While McCullum acknowledged a seeming lack of experience, the 40-year-old remains confident he can make a noticeable impact for England and cricket on a wider scale.

    "I think for me red-ball cricket has always been the pinnacle of the sport, if you look at where the game sits currently, it's probably on a bit of a downward trend and to me the nation that can really change that is England," McCullum told Sky Sports.

    "Because of the tradition of Test cricket here in England and I guess the fan following and the support that it gets in this country.

    "For us to be competitive in Test cricket I think will go a long way in trying to be able to hopefully just shift that a little bit in terms of the perception of red-ball cricket moving forward.

    "I'm confident in the skills that I've got and I'm confident in the group that we have to start things off as well.

    “Obviously it might take a little while to become completely adjusted to the methods and the ways over here and it might take some time for guys to become adjusted to me as well, but I'm looking forward to it.

    "For me it was a big risk taken by everyone but, for me, you don't get anywhere unless you take risks."

    McCullum admitted he will be far from a hands-on coach with the mental aspects of cricket more of interest to him than technique, while he hailed Stokes' leadership.

    "I certainly don't coach technically. I understand the technique obviously, but for me it's more around tactics and man-management and trying to provide the right environment for the team to try and go out there and be the best versions of themselves," he added.

    "So I think with Stokesy as captain we've got a really strong leader, a 'follow me' type of captain and so I think my job will be to try and ensure that we’re consistent with a lot of our messaging.

    "I'll look after the guys inside the environment as well and try and allow them to really grow at a speed which they might not have got to previously, so it's a big challenge."

    McCullum faces home country New Zealand in his first Test in charge of England, which starts next Thursday at Lord's.

  • French Open: Irina-Camelia Begu issues apology after thrown racquet hits child French Open: Irina-Camelia Begu issues apology after thrown racquet hits child

    Irina-Camelia Begu issued an apology after a racquet she threw into the ground bounced into the crowd and struck a child at the French Open.

    The Romanian was playing in a second-round match against Ekaterina Alexandrova and was down a break in the third set when the incident happened.

    The match was suspended as the young boy, who was sitting near the umpire's chair, was left in tears and being comforted by his parents.

    Begu was issued a warning but avoided a default and went on to win the match 6-7 (3-7) 6-3 6-4.

    She later posed for pictures with the boy and said sorry for her moment of frustration at a post-match news conference.

    "Well, it's an embarrassing moment for me, so I don't want to talk too much about it. I just want to apologise," she said.

    "My whole career I didn't do something like this, and I feel really bad and sorry. So I'm just going to say again, sorry for the incident and it was just an embarrassing moment for me.

    "It was a difficult moment because I didn't want to hit that racquet. You hit the clay with the racquet, but you never expect [it] to fly that much."

    A statement circulated by the French Tennis Federation from tournament referee Remy Azemar said: "The grand slam supervisor spoke with the parents who were with the child. The parents confirmed that the child was fine and not injured."

    It said the racquet had "brushed a young spectator".

    The incident was reminiscent of the 2020 US Open when men's world number one Novak Djokovic was defaulted when a ball he struck in anger hit a line judge.

    Begu faces local favourite Leolia Jeanjean in round three.

  • Half centuries from Reifer, Greaves consolidate Barbados Pride advantage, Hinds fights back with five-for Half centuries from Reifer, Greaves consolidate Barbados Pride advantage, Hinds fights back with five-for

    Enterprising half-centuries from Raymon Reifer and, Justin Greaves, underpinned the Barbados Pride’s early advantage as they surged past the first innings total of T&T Red Force on day 2 of the West Indies Championship, at Tarouba, on Thursday.

    Resuming the day on 87 for 2, Reifer picked up where he left off overnight and went on to add another 45 to his total before being dismissed for 79, caught and bowled by Bryan Charles.  Not before he had played the chief role in a destructive partnership with Jonathan Carter who added an even 50 as the pair put on 101 for the third wicket.

    Roston Chase briefly joined Reifer at the crease but only managed to add 28 before being bowled by Terrance Hinds.  Greeves and Akeem Jordan then added a valuable 59 for the 7th wicket before the innings wrapped up at 294 all out, a lead of 161.  Hinds did his part to stem the damage after claiming best figures of 5 for 32.

    In their second time at the crease, T&T closed the day at 51 for 3. Keagan Simmons and Jason Mohammed are the not-out batsmen at the crease.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.