ATP

Tsitsipas to get vaccinated after saying he would only do so if mandatory

By Sports Desk September 20, 2021

Stefanos Tsitsipas plans to get the COVID-19 vaccine, having previously declared he would only do so if the ATP Tour made it mandatory.

Greek world number three Tsitsipas revealed last month he would not get a jab due to concerns over side effects.

The ATP Tour has persisted in encouraging players to get vaccinated, with Novak Djokovic the most high profile to have stated he was opposed to it, and Tsitsipas has now backtracked on his original stance.

"I will get vaccinated this year," the 23-year-old told Greek outlet Antenna TV. "So I can go to restaurants and shops. I support all those who get vaccinated.

"I am not a doctor; I am a tennis player, so I may not have the most substantiated opinion when it comes to medical issues."

The French Open runner-up was subject to backlash in his homeland following his initial comments on the vaccine, with a series of top figures questioning his thought process.

"The COVID-19 vaccine has not been tested enough because it is new and has some side effects," said Tsitsipas.

"I know some people who've had them. I'm not against it, I just see no reason for someone in my age group to be vaccinated [yet].

"For us young people I think it's good to pass the virus because we'll build immunity.

"I don't see it as something bad. As I said, it isn't obligatory, everyone has freedom to decide for themselves what's right and what's not. At some point we should all do it, I'm not saying the opposite.

"The time will come when we will not be given many options, but until then I want to see a better version of the vaccine that gives us more pluses than minuses."

Tsitsipas is set to play for Team Europe at the Laver Cup this week after missing Greece's Davis Cup tie with Lithuania due to a foot injury.

Related items

  • Australian Open: Victorious Cornet 'ready for the next chapter' with grand slam record in sight Australian Open: Victorious Cornet 'ready for the next chapter' with grand slam record in sight

    Alize Cornet is simply living in the moment at the Australian Open, after she suggested 2022 will be her final year on the court.

    Cornet defeated reigning WTA Finals champion Garbine Muguruza 6-3 6-3 on Thursday to reach the third round of the Australian Open for the sixth time in her career.

    The 31-year-old did not offer up a single break point across the 87-minute encounter with 2020 Australian Open finalist Muguruza, who entered the tournament ranked third in the world.

    It marked Cornet's third straight win over Spain's Muguruza, who is a two-time grand slam champion.

    Cornet is playing in her 63rd grand slam and 17th Australian Open, yet the Frenchwoman has never progressed deeper than the fourth round at a major.

    This is Cornet's 60th successive appearance in the main draw at a grand slam, meaning she is just two shy of the record held by Ai Sugiyama (62).

    Should Cornet, who will play Tamara Zidansek in round three, feature in the main draw of each of this year's majors, she will set the outright record.

    However, should she achieve that feat, it may well mark the end of her career.

    "I'm telling myself that I'm playing probably my last year. I'm not sure yet," she told reporters.

    "When I stepped on the court, I was like, You know what, just enjoy the moment because you don't know if you're going to come back. I think that's what made the difference.

    "Playing a whole year, playing 100 per cent, trying to beat this record of consecutive play in a grand slam. After that, I think it will be a good time for me to retire. 

    "I gave so much to this game and to this tennis life. I feel I'm pretty much ready for the next chapter.

    "It's been a while [since I] beat a Top 5 player in a slam, so it's a really good feeling. 

    "I really enjoyed it today, which doesn't mean I will enjoy it tomorrow! That's why when the fun is here, you have to take it. You never know how you're going to feel in the next match."

    Muguruza was not the only big name to drop out on Thursday, with sixth seed Anett Kontaveit falling foul of teenager Clara Tauson.

    The 19-year-old Dane needed just 79 minutes to seal a 6-2 6-4 victory that brings up her first win over a Top 10 opponent in only her second such match.

    Kontaveit won 28 of her last 32 matches in 2021 to break into the Top 10.

    "It's the first time I'm in the third round of a slam," said Tauson. 

    "Playing a player like her to reach it, it's a really big achievement for me. Obviously, it was one of the things I really wanted to do, to beat the good players in the bigger tournaments.

    "Doing it in a slam is a really great feeling. It's just a lot of hard work that I've put into it."

  • Zverev: I hope my brother has not sold my Olympic gold on eBay Zverev: I hope my brother has not sold my Olympic gold on eBay

    An Olympic gold medal would be most athletes' prized possession, but Alexander Zverev's ownership has perhaps been a little more carefree – or it was until he found himself wondering if his brother had sold it on eBay.

    Zverev claimed arguably the biggest title of his career last year when claiming gold in Tokyo, adding that to his 2018 ATP Finals success – he went on to repeat that triumph at the year-end tournament in Turin.

    The German beat Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals at the Olympics before going on to defeat Karen Khachanov in straight sets to win the tournament.

    That made him the first German man to win a gold in the singles and first to win any medal since Tommy Haas got silver 21 years earlier.

    While some might tend to their gold medal on a daily basis, polishing it generously as it takes pride of place on the mantelpiece, it turns out Zverev has not actually seen his for a while.

    His older brother Mischa has had it for a few months, leaving the younger sibling not even sure if it is still in the family's possession.

    After beating Australian's John Millman to reach the third round of the Australian Open, Zverev was asked where he keeps his gold medal, to which he replied: "That's actually a good question because my brother took it for a media appearance.

    "He didn't give it back to me yet. I don't know where it is for the past five months. Hopefully he hasn't sold it on eBay or something."

     

    Zverev will presumably be a little more attentive to any silverware he claims in Melbourne this year, with the 24-year-old still chasing his first major.

    Seeded third this month, Zverev is certainly considered one of the favourites after an excellent 2021 in which he won six titles, more than anyone else on the ATP Tour.

    Zverev was initially on course to meet Djokovic in the semis, but the Serbian's absence means many will consider him the favourite to reach the showpiece from his side of the draw and he has made a solid start.

    After dispatching fellow German Daniel Altmaier, Zverev saw off the tricky Millman, a big-serving Australian who understandably had the crowd's backing on Rod Laver Arena, coming through both games in straight sets.

    "My tactic today was to hit the ball as slow as possible," he said. "That was my mindset going into the match, but hopefully I can hit it even harder next match and harder the next match after that.

    "I could really feel that you guys have been locked down for two years. I'm prepared that everybody will hate me after the match. It's quite accurate and that's my mindset.

    "I'll get a lot of boos and hopefully everybody will cheer against me. I'm kidding."

  • Australian Open: 'It would have been so easy to stop playing' – Murray reflects on unlikely Melbourne return Australian Open: 'It would have been so easy to stop playing' – Murray reflects on unlikely Melbourne return

    Andy Murray knows it would have been easy to retire from tennis after his hip surgery but is instead revelling at being able to compete at the Australian Open once again.

    Former world number one Murray is featuring in the season's first grand slam for the first time in three years.

    In true Murray fashion, he overcame Georgian 21st-seed Nikoloz Basilashvili in five sets in a mammoth first-round tie to set up a clash with Japan's Taro Daniel on Thursday.

    That Murray is here at all is remarkable given the scenes in 2019 when the now 34-year-old gave an emotional news conference following a first-round defeat to Roberto Bautista Agut questioning whether he would be able to continue playing.

    Speaking about his Melbourne return, Murray told BBC Sport: "To be finally back at the Australian Open again this year, playing on the same court as 2019 and then beating Basilashvili in five sets, was a brilliant experience.

    "In 2019 it didn't feel like it was me out there on the court. I was severely hampered physically and had little to no preparation. I didn't know if I was going to be able to play again.

    "After the hip surgery, and loads of stops and starts with more niggles, playing in grand slams again is a place which I have worked so hard to get to.

    "It would have been easy to stop playing, but I kept trying and trying. I'm proud of that work and effort."

    Murray was unable to compete in Melbourne in 2021 after testing positive for COVID-19.

    "There was another setback last year when I couldn't come to Australia because I tested positive for coronavirus shortly before I was supposed to fly out," he continued.

    "That was brutal for me. I had trained really hard through the end of November and December, I was playing really well. I had played lots of practice, I felt really fit and then that positive test happened. I was gutted.

    "I was healthy, I'd just had the virus and recovered from it. I understood the rules and situation here in Melbourne but I just wished I would have been able to play."

    Murray reached the final of the Sydney Classic earlier in January, eventually going down to Alan Karatsev 6-3 6-3. It was just the second ATP Tour-level final he has reached since the start of 2019.

    Now, the three-time major winner is hoping to push on after that morale-boosting success over Basilashvili.

    "Beating Basilashvili was a big win for me," Murray added. "A lot of work has gone into getting back to this tournament and to physically compete at the highest level, so beating a guy ranked in the top 25 and winning a match in five sets was very satisfying.

    "I'm probably never going to move as well as I did as I did when I was 25.

    "But the more matches I play, staying healthy for a long period of time and not missing lots of training, means I am going to continue to improve my movement. Then, my physicality on the court will get better."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.