ATP

Evans putting friendship aside after setting up Federer showdown in Doha, Tsonga ends drought

By Sports Desk March 09, 2021

Dan Evans is putting friendship aside after earning a blockbuster showdown against returning superstar Roger Federer at the Qatar Open.

Federer has not played competitively since his semi-final exit at the 2020 Australian Open – the 20-time grand slam champion having undergone knee surgery last year.

But the 39-year-old Swiss great will make his long-awaited comeback against Evans in Doha on Wednesday.

Evans – who has been practicing with Federer – outlasted Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 6-4 1-6 6-2 in the round of 32 at the ATP 250 tournament.

"We obviously practised for [the] past two weeks [in Dubai], and I thought he was playing pretty well," Evans said. "We played plenty of sets. It was competitive. But it's all very different when you get on the match court.

"It will be a lot different tomorrow. It's going to be at night, as well, so a little slower. So we'll see how the match goes."

Second seed Federer – a record three-time Qatar Open champion – watched from the stands on Tuesday and Evans added: "He obviously has seen a lot of my game the past few weeks, so I guess I would say it was more out of boredom.

"He's probably [was] waiting for his practice [more] than scouting out what's happening on the court. Let's put it down to that."

Elsewhere, sixth seed David Goffin topped Filip Krajinovic 6-4 6-4 en route to the last 16 but three-time slam champion Stan Wawrinka was stunned 7-6 (7-3) 6-7 (6-8) 7-5 by qualifier Lloyd Harris.

Marton Fucsovics, Vasek Pospisil and Malek Jaziri also advanced through to the next round.

At the Open 13 Province, three-time champion and French veteran Jo-Wilfried Tsonga celebrated his first ATP Tour victory since 2019.

Tsonga – hampered by injuries, including left knee surgery –rallied from the brink to see off Feliciano Lopez 3-6 6-4 7-5 in Marseille on Tuesday.

"This is probably one of the best victories of my career, because it was tough for me to play tennis. I had so much pain for so many months," Tsonga said in an on-court interview. "Today, I won one match. That was one of my goals for these few weeks… I’m happy like a kid."

Next up is fourth-seeded countryman Ugo Humbert, who upstaged sixth seed Kei Nishikori 6-1 6-4.

Meanwhile, Federico Coria and Federico Delbonis were among the victors at the Chile Open.

Related items

  • Kyrgios: 'Easy' decision to snub Davis Cup but play Saudi Arabia exhibition Kyrgios: 'Easy' decision to snub Davis Cup but play Saudi Arabia exhibition

    Nick Kyrgios made an "easy" decision to snub participation in the Davis Cup with Australia but take up the chance to earn a seven-figure sum in Saudi Arabia.

    The 27-year-old is competing at the Diriyah Tennis Cup exhibition event in Riyadh, with the three-day, 12-man event coming with a prize of $1million for the winner.

    Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt and Australia number one Alex de Minaur have both revealed they tried to persuade Kyrgios to compete in Malaga last month, with their attempts ultimately being in vain.

    The Wimbledon finalist referenced the negativity he has endured in his career from his homeland as a reason for his snub, saying participation in the Davis Cup "doesn't really make sense".

    Australia ended up finishing as runners-up to Canada.

    "Maybe if Australia embraced me a little bit more, I would play it and bring home the trophy. But who knows? At this point of my career, I'll always do what's best for me," Kyrgios told AAP News.

    "I can travel around the world playing exhibitions around this time of year for six figures - you know I feel I put myself in that position - so it's an easy one for me.

    "I'll easily take time with my family and my girlfriend and enjoy experiences around the world and earn that type of money rather than play a week away in something where I wouldn't be able to be with my girlfriend and I'm not getting paid that well.

    "[That] doesn't really make sense to me and my progression as an athlete."

    Asked whether he could envisage himself playing in the Davis Cup again, he added: "Maybe, who knows?

    "Adding another week in Europe in Malaga wasn't really what was on my wish list. If it was in Australia, maybe it would have been a different story. But who knows?

    "It's not always easy for me to erase everything in Australia that's said negatively about me or my family, you don't need that - so it's interesting that they really want me to play, but are always criticising.

    "Look, I've always been one of the best players in the world - I’ve always held up my fair share of the bargain towards Australia. 

    "I feel like this is the first year I've earned respect when it should have been given when I first came on tour.

    "I've represented them, put them on the map, and having produced one of the most successful male years in the last decade for Australia, and am only just getting embraced [now] - I don't think that's my fault."

  • LTA handed ATP fine for ban on Russian players LTA handed ATP fine for ban on Russian players

    The Lawn Tennis Association has been hit with an £820,000 fine by the ATP for banning Russian and Belarusian male players from its 2022 grass-court events, including Wimbledon.

    The ban was imposed upon players from those nations following Russia's invasion of Ukraine, supported by Belarus, but has been deemed to have breached ATP rules.

    In a statement, the LTA expressed its disappointment with the decision and accused the ATP of not recognising "exceptional circumstances".

    "The LTA is deeply disappointed with this outcome," the statement read. "The ATP, in its finding, has shown no recognition of the exceptional circumstances created by Russia's invasion of Ukraine, or the international sporting community and UK Government's response to that invasion.

    "The ATP appear to regard this matter as a straightforward breach of their rules – with a surprising lack of empathy shown for the situation in Ukraine, and a clear lack of understanding of the unique circumstances the LTA faced."

    The LTA said the fine will prevent the organisation from holding smaller events to give opportunities to lower-ranked players, and announced that plans for ATP Challenger level events will be scrapped.

    A previous fine was issued by the WTA for the banning of female Russian and Belarusian players, which has been appealed by the LTA.

  • Djokovic to warm up for Australian Open return by playing in Adelaide Djokovic to warm up for Australian Open return by playing in Adelaide

    Novak Djokovic will feature at January's Adelaide Invitational, just one year on from being deported from Australia.

    It was confirmed last month Djokovic is free to play at the Australian Open after a three-year ban imposed on him entering the country was overturned.

    Back in January, Djokovic was at the centre of huge controversy following his attempts to play in Melbourne despite not receiving a vaccine to protect against COVID-19.

    That led to Djokovic being deported, having his visa cancelled on public health grounds, and hit with an automatic three-year ban on entering Australia.

    However, immigration minister Andrew Giles handed Djokovic a visa after the vaccine mandate that was in place earlier this year was no longer a barrier to his participation.

    As such Djokovic, a record nine-time Australian Open champion, will warm up for his return to Melbourne by playing in Adelaide, where the likes of Daniil Medvedev, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Andrey Rublev, and Andy Murray will also be involved.

    Djokovic was the victor at the season-ending ATP Finals in November and is targeting a 22nd grand slam title, which would take him level with Rafael Nadal as the most singles slams held by a male player.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.