Women's Open: Chun leads Buhai and Sagstrom as Shibuno tumbles

By Sports Desk August 05, 2022

Chun In-gee heads into the weekend with the lead at the Women's Open after a super round of 66 propelled her to the top of the leaderboard ahead of Ashleigh Buhai and Madelene Sagstrom who finished day two seven under.

Hinako Shibuno had led overnight but struggled on day two, plummeting down the standings after carding a two-over 73, now one of three players to sit four under par in a tie for seventh.

Chun was out in front at eight under following her 66, even if Buhai was perhaps the star of the day.

Her 65 included an eagle at the fifth, and she could even have been better placed, sitting a stroke back after failing to putt from 10 feet at the 17th and then finishing with a bogey at the last.

Buhai was alongside Sagstrom, who also shot a six-under round after eight birdies.

Jessica Korda, second overnight, saw her charge stumble with four consecutive bogeys on the back nine that saw her finish three over for the day, now two under for the week.

The cut was set at three over, and Anna Nordqvist became the third consecutive defending Women's Open champion to miss the cut after finishing at four over.

World number one Ko Jin-young also departed at the halfway stage, failing to recover from her opening 76 with an even-par round on day two.

Related items

  • Cameron Smith promises clarity on future, but LIV Golf rumours intensify Cameron Smith promises clarity on future, but LIV Golf rumours intensify

    Cameron Smith has vowed he will come forward when he has any announcement to make on his future, although the world number two is reported to have already agreed to join the LIV Golf Invitational Series.

    Smith is the Open champion and would represent another major coup for the breakaway golf league.

    Fellow Australian Cameron Percy indicated Smith would be joining LIV Golf this week, telling RSN Radio that the 28-year-old and Marc Leishman were "gone".

    Smith subsequently responded to these claims in a news conference ahead of the FedEx St. Jude Championship on Tuesday.

    "My goal here is to win the FedEx Cup play-offs," he said. "That's all I'm here for.

    "If there's something I need to say regarding the PGA Tour or LIV, it will come from Cameron Smith, not Cameron Percy.

    "I'm a man of my word, and whenever you guys need to know anything, it will be said by me.

    "Like I said, I'm here to play the FedEx Cup play-offs. That's been my focus the last week and a half, that's what I'm here to do. I'm here to win the FedEx Cup play-offs."

    However, Wednesday brought an exclusive report from The Telegraph claiming Smith had signed a $100million-plus deal with LIV Golf.

    The report says an initial offer of around $100m was made to Smith ahead of The Open, but he is set to be boosted by his new status as a major winner.

    An announcement, The Telegraph said, would likely follow the FedEx Cup play-offs, with Smith second in the standings.

  • Judge denies LIV Golf signees entry into the FedEx Cup Judge denies LIV Golf signees entry into the FedEx Cup

    The PGA Tour has won their first legal battle against the controversial LIV Golf brand, with a judge ruling on Tuesday that LIV Golf players are not eligible to play in the FedEx Cup starting this week.

    Specifically, Talor Gooch, Matt Jones and Hudson Swafford were the three golfers seeking the temporary restraining order to play at the FedEx St. Jude Championship – but a judge ruled that their cases did not prove they were victims of "irreparable harm" due to their highly paid contracts.

    The LIV Golf lawyers argued that the FedEx Cup is about "more than money" – even going as far as calling it "the Super Bowl of golf", and comparing former FedEx Cup winners to all-time greats Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman.

    They claimed the PGA Tour was attempting to use monopoly powers to stamp out fair competition, to which the PGA lawyers countered with the facts that five of their top-10 most famous players – based on their Player Impact Program – have already jumped ship, and that Gooch, specifically, signed a contract worth significantly more than the $18million awarded to the winner of the FedEx Cup.

    LIV Golf were queried about how they could project a 20 per cent market share while also calling the PGA Tour a monopoly, and that being a monopoly is not illegal, only using monopoly powers against another organisation is.

    The judge explained that the breakaway golfers would have ample opportunity to play on the alternate tour; that their upfront LIV Golf contracts took into account the possibility that they would not be eligible for the FedEx Cup and/or major championships; and that the inability to win even more money does not constitute "irreparable harm".

    Some other interesting tidbits were revealed during proceedings, including a direct contradiction from a prevalent storyline about the LIV Golf contracts.

    LIV Golf lawyers claimed that prize money won from tournaments would be "recouped against the LIV contracts" – with a clip emerging immediately afterwards showing an LIV Golf spokesperson specifically saying during a news conference featuring Pat Perez and Brooks Koepka that all prize money would be "in addition to the contracts".

    Their lawyers also confirmed that all 48 spots had been filled for next LIV Golf season, and the judge indicated that the larger-scale antitrust trial would be tentatively scheduled for September.

  • Scheffler hits out at LIV Golf players for suing PGA Tour over FedEx Cup suspensions Scheffler hits out at LIV Golf players for suing PGA Tour over FedEx Cup suspensions

    World number one Scottie Scheffler has hit out at a lawsuit being brought against the PGA Tour by several of LIV Golf's leading names. 

    With the PGA suspending players who joined the controversial Saudi Arabia-backed circuit, the likes of Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau are among 11 players to back a legal attempt to reverse those measures ahead of the FedEx Cup Playoffs beginning on Thursday.

    While reports suggest only three LIV players – Talor Gooch, Matt Jones and Hudson Swafford – are seeking re-entry to the event, the PGA has accused them of trying "to have their cake and eat it" by attempting to feature at their events.

    And Scheffler, who has been a prominent defender of the PGA Tour amid several high-profile players signing up for the LIV circuit, has little sympathy for those fighting suspension.

    "I'm definitely curious to see what's going to happen," the 2022 Masters victor told a news conference on Tuesday.

    "It's one of those deals where those guys kind of made their decision to go join another tour.

    "They broke the rules and regulations of our tour and now they're trying to sue us, which is definitely a bit frustrating.

    "I heard that was going to happen and I know some guys aren't surprised to see it, but I definitely am surprised to see some guys now suing us.

    "If they win, come out here and play, I mean, that's something that's up to the courts. I can't control what's going to happen in a court case. 

    "[I'm] definitely interested, but at the end of the day it has no effect on my preparation for the week."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.