Canelo set for September trilogy fight with Golovkin before Bivol rematch

By Sports Desk May 24, 2022

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez is set to announce a September trilogy fight against Gennadiy Golovkin, meaning his rematch with Dmitry Bivol must wait.

Alvarez suffered only the second defeat of his professional career against Bivol this month after stepping up to light heavyweight.

The Mexican has a rematch option, which he intends to activate, but first will face Golovkin for a third time at super middleweight, he told ESPN.

"We already had that contract [with Golovkin], that agreement, so we have to continue what we started," he said.

"I think those are the two biggest fights in boxing, the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol.

"Unfortunately, we lost [to Bivol], but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try again. The important thing here is perseverance and we're going to do it again.

"What is certain is that we are going to return in September. And in the coming days, we are going to announce the fight."

A controversial split draw between Alvarez and Golovkin in September 2017 was followed by a Canelo win a year later. That remains the sole defeat of Golovkin's career.

Related items

  • Usyk makes Joshua rematch free to watch in Ukraine Usyk makes Joshua rematch free to watch in Ukraine

    Oleksandr Usyk has ensured his world heavyweight title rematch with Anthony Joshua this month will be free to watch for the people of war-torn Ukraine.

    Usyk outclassed Joshua to win the WBO, WBA Super, and IBF titles at Tottenham Hotspur last September.

    The 35-year-old will defend those straps for the first time in Saudi Arabia on August 20, when Joshua gets the chance to regain the belts.

    Saudi organisers gifted the television rights for the bout to Usyk, who has enabled those who are able to watch in his homeland will not have to pay.

    Alex Krassyuk, the world champion's promoter, told talkSPORT.com: "He intended to buy [the right], but received it [free] for Ukraine.

    "He makes it free to watch via Megogo [streaming service], his YouTube channel and via state public TV ‘Suspilne’."

    Usyk returned to Ukraine to defend his country following Russia's invasion of his country in February.

  • Jake Paul declares Hasim Rahman Jr. 'scared to fight' after cancelling bout Jake Paul declares Hasim Rahman Jr. 'scared to fight' after cancelling bout

    Jake Paul has called off his fight against Hasim Rahman Jr. due to a weight dispute less than a week before the bout at New York's Madison Square Garden.

    The pair were set to clash in the ring on August 6 as part of a card that also featured Amanda Serrano, but Paul has now cancelled the bout after Rahman failed to meet the agreed weight of 200 pounds.

    Paul's Most Valuable Promotions released a statement claiming Rahman had agreed to fight at 200lb, only for his team to later look to increase the weight limit to 215lb.

    "Hasim Rahman Jr. has pulled out of the fight. This is not a joke, I am devastated, I can not f****** believe this. We just found out this news," Paul posted on Twitter.

    "This is just another case of a professional boxer, like Tommy Fury, being scared to fight me. 

    "It's clear as day that these guys have been so unprofessional to work with, looking for any excuse to suck more money out of this event, to coerce us into doing things.

    "From the jump, I knew from the bottom of my heart that this guy didn't want to get into the ring with me. It's clear as day."

    Rahman initially stepped up to face Paul as a replacement for Tommy Fury, who pulled out of a scheduled fight against Paul last year due to injury and then could not travel to the United States due to a visa issue.

    While Rahman confirmed he was not able to meet the agreed weight, he disputed Paul's claims about money and said he would have fought for $5,000.

    "I signed a contract to make 200 pounds within the three and a half weeks I had to do it, but I couldn't do it. My body simply would not let me do it, would not let me get down to 200 pounds," he said in a video message.

    "But when in boxing do you see them cancelling fights a whole week in advance? I didn't even get my last week to get down as low as I could. 

    "I told this man: 'If there’s penalties involved, keep the purse. I'll fight you for the $5,000 minimum.'

    "That's how much it means to me and that’s how much faith I have in knocking him out."

    Paul would have received a WBC ranking for the first time had he defeated Rahman.

  • Ali's Rumble in the Jungle belt sold for $6.18m at auction to Colts owner Isray Ali's Rumble in the Jungle belt sold for $6.18m at auction to Colts owner Isray

    Muhammad Ali's championship belt from the Rumble in the Jungle - his 1974 heavyweight title bout with George Foreman - was sold at auction on Sunday for $6.18million.

    The belt, won by the legendary boxer after he stopped his rival with an eighth round knockout in Zaire, was purchased by Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay.

    The 63-year-old has already purchased a large assortment of pop culture memorabilia, the Isray Collection, which he intends to tour across the nation.

    "Proud to be the steward!" Isray tweeted, while revealing the belt would be on display next month in Chicago and then in Indianapolis in September.

    Ali's belt falls short of becoming the most expensive piece of sporting memorabilia to be sold at auction.

    Diego Maradona's iconic Hand of God shirt - worn during Argentina's quarter-final victory over England at the 1986 FIFA World Cup - fetched just over £7.1m ($8.9m) in May.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.