Whyte pulls out of Wallin fight with shoulder injury

By Sports Desk October 20, 2021

Dillian Whyte has been forced to cancel his heavyweight clash with Otto Wallin on October 30 due to a shoulder injury, promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed on Wednesday.

The fight with Sweden's Wallin, set to take place at the O2 Arena in London, was the main event on an impressive card with Whyte set to return to action for the first time since beating Alexander Povetkin in March.

However, a shoulder injury sustained in training has forced the postponement of the fight and it remains unclear whether the clash will be rescheduled.

The winner was in line to face the undefeated Tyson Fury for the WBC heavyweight crown in 2022, though Whyte's next bout may still be against the 'Gyspy King' should the meeting with Wallin be called off completely.

The WBC had ruled that the winner of Fury and Deontay Wilder's trilogy fight would have 30 days to agree on a bout with IBF, WBA and WBO champion Oleksandr Usyk, or face the reigning interim champion - the winner of Whyte versus Wallin.

However, Anthony Joshua has triggered a rematch clause to ensure he fights Usyk again in 2022, opening the door for Whyte or Wallin to step up.

Should Whyte be required to challenge Wallin in a rearranged clash, defeat will once again throw a spanner in the works for the Briton, despite him currently ranking as the WBC's interim challenger.

Whyte has encountered similar problems before while waiting for a world title shot, having been knocked out by Povetkin in 2020 before recovering in the rematch between the pair.

Related items

  • Joshua refuses to rule out stepping aside to let Fury fight Usyk Joshua refuses to rule out stepping aside to let Fury fight Usyk

    Anthony Joshua says he would consider stepping aside from his rematch with Oleksandr Usyk to allow the Ukrainian to fight Tyson Fury.

    Joshua is set to fight Usyk for a second time in early 2022 after losing to the 34-year-old, who claimed the WBA, WBO and IBF belts on a unanimous points decision at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September.

    WBC Champion Tyson Fury, after defeating Deontay Wilder in the final bout of a gruelling trilogy, is waiting on a decision whether a title fight will be ordered with Dillian Whyte, who wants to be sanctioned as the mandatory challenger.

    However, Fury's ambition is to fight Usyk in a battle to become the undisputed champion, leading to calls from the 'Gypsy King' for his fellow Englishman Joshua to step aside.

    For the first time a Fury-Usyk bout seems a possibility, with Joshua conceding he would consider skipping the sequel temporarily for both respect in boxing and financial gain.

    "I think people know not to approach me with that rubbish," Joshua told IFL TV when asked if he had been offered a deal to skip the rematch. "That is bulls***. It may have come to my team, but they know not to bring that to me.

    "Let me be real, it's not about the money, it's about the respect. What I want out of this game, number one is respect. You don't have to like me, but you will respect me. 

    "Second thing is to go down as a throwback fighter, somebody who was willing to fight the best in their division so people know me as a true fighter.

    "In terms of [stepping] aside, I don't know if that goes in line with what I morally stand for. But let me be real, I want to be known as one of the smartest businessmen as well.

    "I used to watch Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, we all know the stories of NFL players, basketball players, they make bad decisions. I wanted to make sure I make the smart moves when it comes to this business. If the money is right, you have to look at it.

    "You have to look at it. But respect to me has a lot more value than money. Respect first, what I'm known for when I leave this division, then being the smartest businessman in my career. 

    "That step aside thing, it may not go with what I stand for in terms of bringing me respect, fighting the best, but it may make sense for business."

  • Beaten lightweight champion Lopez insists: I won! Beaten lightweight champion Lopez insists: I won!

    Teofimo Lopez insisted he was not a "sore loser" after his shock defeat to George Kambosos, but he added: "I won tonight."

    Lopez suffered his first career defeat and lost his IBF, WBA (Super) and WBO lightweight titles in shock fashion against Kambosos on Saturday.

    The champion had promised a first-round knockout but was instead himself on the canvas early. Although Kambosos was knocked down in the 10th, he did enough to secure a split decision victory.

    The long-awaited fight at Madison Square Garden, which saw a series of date changes, led Kambosos to declare himself "the emperor".

    "I can't believe how good I boxed," he added, although for Lopez the disbelief centred around the result.

    "He's a hell of a fighter, but I won tonight, everybody knows that," he said. "The referee raised my hand.

    "I won tonight; I don't care what anybody says, I won tonight. At the end of the day, I've been here, I've done that, I want to thank God, I want to thank everybody that came out tonight.

    "Look, I ain't no sore loser, I take my wins like I take my losses. At the end of the day, man, I'm a true champion, I did what I had to do, and I went out there and did my best.

    "I don't care what anybody says, man, I am as real as they come, and this is the takeover, man, we don't stop, we keep coming.

    "At the end of the day, man, I love you all, I won this fight."

  • Kambosos shocks Lopez to claim lightweight title with split decision win Kambosos shocks Lopez to claim lightweight title with split decision win

    George Kambosos Jr has beaten undefeated world champion Teofimo Lopez in a major upset to claim the IBF, WBO, WBA and The Ring lightweight world champion.

    Kambosos was crowned the new lightweight world champion by split decision, 115-111, 115-113, 113-114 over 24-year-old American Lopez.

    In a tight tussle, 28-year-old Australian Kambosos knocked down Lopez in the first round with a overhand right-hand hit amid an energetic start, leaving the New York crowd shocked.

    Kambosos defied expectations and was on top throughout the middle rounds before Lopez rallied in the ninth round with a few booming right-hand shots.

    In the 10th round, Lopez dropped the Australian to the canvas with a chopping right-hand hit although Kambosos returned to his feet to fight on to victory.

    "I believed in myself, I backed myself and I said it time after time," Kambosos said after the fight. “You might not believe it, but I believe in myself. Look at me now, I’ve got all of the jewels.

    "Look at me now, I’ve got all the jewels. I’m not the king, I’m the emperor because I come to every other country and I take them out one by one."

    Lopez disputed the result after the fight, claiming he dominated although that was met by jeers from the New York crowd.

    Japanese boxer Kenichi Ogawa defeated Azinga Fuzile after dropping him three times in a dominant display to win the vacant IBF world super featherweight title in the co-main event.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.