Joshua has 'learned his lesson' following Usyk defeat

By Sports Desk September 30, 2021

Anthony Joshua says he has "learned his lesson" following his defeat to Oleksandr Usyk last weekend.

The former IBF, WBA and WBO champion relinquished his titles after an inspired performance by his Ukrainian opponent at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Joshua failed to recover from a slow start and subsequently slipped to his second defeat in four fights, with Usyk prevailing after 12 rounds in a unanimous points decision to maintain his unbeaten record as a professional.

The two fighters are reportedly set to do battle once more in early 2022 after the dethroned heavyweight champion "activated in principle" a rematch clause.

Now 24-2, Joshua insists he knows where he went wrong as the Briton looks to reclaim his belts.

Posting on Instagram, he told his 13 million followers: "I've watched the fight, analysed my preparations and identified my mistakes.

"I've learnt my lesson. Thanks for sending love and checking in. 

"Don't worry about me. My spirit is strong!"

Related items

  • Tyson Fury vacates heavyweight belt after retirement announcement Tyson Fury vacates heavyweight belt after retirement announcement

    Tyson Fury has vacated The Ring Magazine heavyweight belt following the announcement of his retirement.

    The Gypsy King has not fought since successfully defending his belts against Dillian Whyte at Wembley in April, where he immediately expressed his intention to retire.

    Speculation continued to persist that Fury would return to the ring, with the winner of Anthony Joshua's rematch against Oleksandr Usyk touted as the likely opponent.

    On Friday, his 34th birthday, Fury again reiterated his desire to retire and has now vacated one of his heavyweight titles.

    "The Ring Magazine championship has always been the holy grail of boxing. They've been fantastic with me and I've always carried that title with pride," he told The Ring Magazine.

    "The greatest moment of my career was winning the world championship (by outpointing Wladimir Klitschko) back in 2015.

    "There's the great comeback after that with the three [Deontay] Wilder fights. There's been a lot of great highlights in my career – even the Dillian Whyte fight in front of 94,000 at Wembley. It doesn't get much bigger than that. And I went out with a bang."

    While it is not the first time that Fury has stated he would retire, he has not previously vacated any heavyweight belts and has made it clear he will not disappear entirely – hinting at a Hollywood appearance.

    "It was fun while it lasted. I had a good 14-year career. I actually boxed for 20 years, from 14 to 34 years old," he said.

    "I've enjoyed it. I've enjoyed the ups and the downs. My career was an Indian summer that just kept giving.

    "I've done well out of boxing. The world is open to so many things now. I'm doing a Netflix documentary at the moment.  I'm going to be recording an album soon. Who knows, you might even see me on the silver screen."

    Fury still holds the WBC heavyweight title and it is not known whether he will vacate that belt following his announcement.

  • Tyson Fury announces boxing retirement... again Tyson Fury announces boxing retirement... again

    Tyson Fury has conducted another U-turn on his boxing future, announcing his retirement on social media just three days after appearing to confirm plans for a return to the ring.

    On Tuesday, Fury revealed he had appointed a new trainer and urged Derek Chisora to accept an offer for a trilogy fight during a series of Instagram posts.

    But on his 34th birthday, the WBC heavyweight champion announced plans to exit the sport.

    "Massive thanks to everyone who had an input in my career over the years," he wrote on Instagram on Friday.

    "After long, hard conversations I've finally decided to walk away and on my 34th birthday I say bon voyage."

    Fury originally announced he would leave the sport following a sixth-round knockout of Dillian Whyte at Wembley Stadium in April, and has won 32 of his 33 professional bouts, registering one draw against Deontay Wilder in 2018.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Tyson Fury announces boxing retirement... again BREAKING NEWS: Tyson Fury announces boxing retirement... again

    Tyson Fury has conducted another U-turn on his boxing future, announcing his retirement on social media just two days after appearing to confirm plans for a return to the ring.

    On Tuesday, Fury revealed he had appointed a new trainer and urged Derek Chisora to accept an offer for a trilogy fight during a series of Instagram posts.

    But on his 34th birthday, the WBC heavyweight champion announced plans to exit the sport.

    "Massive thanks to everyone who had an input in my career over the years," he wrote on Instagram on Friday.

    "After long, hard conversations I've finally decided to walk away and on my 34th birthday I say bon voyage."

    Fury originally announced he would leave the sport following a sixth-round knockout of Dillian Whyte at Wembley Stadium in April, and has won 32 of his 33 professional bouts, registering one draw against Deontay Wilder in 2018.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.