If I were fighting King Kong then I'd give it a go, says Joshua

By Sports Desk September 23, 2021

Anthony Joshua is relishing the chance to fight Oleksandr Usyk in London and said he would "give it a go" against King Kong for the love of the sport.

The IBF, WBA and WBO belts will be on the line when the Ukrainian faces the heavyweight champion at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday.

Usyk came to Thursday's pre-fight media event dressed like The Joker, but the formalities were very professional as the pair faced off and shook hands in a respectful, if intense, manner.

Former undisputed cruiserweight champion Usyk, 34, might be facing a height and weight disadvantage, but Joshua has plenty of admiration for a fighter he is excited to face.

"I wasn't on the amateur scene long enough to know much about Oleksandr but when I turned professional I did a lot of research and I love the Ukrainian style and the Ukrainian people," he said.

"He was fighting 10 or 12 years as an amateur before he went to the Olympics and worlds, so he is probably happy to be in this position – the cream always rises to the top.

"I love throwback fighters. I do watch a lot of boxing and I don't fight good people just to get respect.

"If you tell me I was fighting King Kong, I would give it a go. This is my job. I'm going to work. It's the best days of my life.

"I work hard to make sure boxing is really respected, and I pay them back by putting in a lot of work in the gym.

"I'm not an easy fight for anyone, I like fighting. God has blessed me, shown me the path to get into boxing. I'm here, blessed, happy and don't take it for granted."

Usyk's promoter Alexander Krassyuk described Joshua as "the best in the division" with "the heart of a warrior", although he warned the Briton he was facing the toughest fight of his career.

"I can do a lot more," Usyk said through an interpreter. "I feel fine, and I look forward to this. I want to thank the team and Eddie Hearn, and I'm grateful this is happening on Saturday.

"Every fight makes history and I think me and Anthony will make another step in history, something that people will be talking about, remember and will be watching on television."

Related items

  • Arum 'confident' Fury will come out of retirement to face winner of Joshua-Usyk rematch Arum 'confident' Fury will come out of retirement to face winner of Joshua-Usyk rematch

    Promoter Bob Arum is "confident" Tyson Fury will come out of retirement to face the winner of Saturday's heavyweight title rematch between Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua.

    Fury retained his WBC world title with a victory over Dillian Whyte at Wembley in April and stated that was his last fight. 

    The Brit appeared to backtrack this month by stating he would be returning to the ring and wanted to face Dereck Chisora for a third time, having already been victorious over his compatriot in 2011 and 2014.

    Fury then announced once again that he has retired in a social media post on his 34th birthday last week.

    Joshua and Usyk will do battle once more this weekend in Saudi Arabia, after the former undisputed cruiserweight champion took the Brit's IBF, WBA and WBO belts with a unanimous decision victory at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last September.

    Arum believes the 'Gypsy King' can be tempted back into the ring to face whoever comes out on top.

    He told Sky Sports: "Absolutely - it's really the only fight that makes sense for Tyson Fury.

    "I've discussed this with my co-promoter of Fury, Frank Warren, and once this fight is over we're going to put together a total unification match between the winner and Tyson Fury.

    "Now, if Usyk wins the fight, which I expect, that will be quite easy to do because we're very close to the Usyk people as they're the same people who manage Vasyl Lomachenko who fights for us. If Joshua wins, Eddie Hearn is his promoter. We've talked many times with Hearn about various matches and I'm sure we'll be able to come together on this one.

     "I've talked with him [Fury] and every day is different, but he's a fighter and if the right fight is there then Fury will be up for that fight. The right fight is the unification fight against the winner of Usyk and Joshua and I think - based on my conversations with Fury - he'll be up for that challenge.

    "How much longer he will go after that, god only knows and I'm not sure, but I'm confident at least that he'll answer the bell for that major fight."

  • 'It's all I know' – Joshua rejects retirement talk if he fails to reclaim world titles 'It's all I know' – Joshua rejects retirement talk if he fails to reclaim world titles

    Anthony Joshua insists he will not be driven into retirement if he fails to defeat Oleksandr Usyk in his world heavyweight title rematch this Saturday.

    Joshua, 32, suffered only the second defeat of his 26-fight professional career when he met Usyk for the first time last September, going down in a convincing unanimous decision to the talented Ukrainian.

    While it was considered an upset, Usyk dominated the Brit in a masterclass to claim the IBF, WBA and WBO belts at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

    Usyk has built a 19-0 professional record, including a perfect 7-0 in cruiserweight world title fights before deciding to move up to heavyweight.

    Joshua has shown his ability to respond to adversity before when he successfully reclaimed his belts from Andy Ruiz Jr after the Mexican had pulled off a stunning stoppage victory six months prior, with that rematch also taking place in Saudi Arabia.

    The Englishman has dismissed suggestions he may have to quit if he fails to dethrone Usyk this weekend.

    "It’s up to me at the end of the day, it’s not up to anyone else what I do with my career," he said. "I don’t have to do this. Why do I do it? It’s because it’s all I know.

    "This is also my 12th consecutive world title fight. I’ve been in world title fights back-to-back 12 times. 

    "It happens – if you’re fighting people at world level, you’re meeting people of world-level quality. I’m not fighting people who are below par."

  • 'Bombzquad is back!' – Wilder returns to the ring against Helenius in October 'Bombzquad is back!' – Wilder returns to the ring against Helenius in October

    Deontay Wilder will return to the ring to fight Robert Helenius on October 15.

    Wilder has not fought since he was beaten by Tyson Fury for a second time in their trilogy fight last October.

    Fury knocked the American out in the 11th round at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to retain his WBC heavyweight title.

    Wilder will end his exile from the ring against Finland's Helenius at Barclays Center in New York.

    The 36-year-old American, known as the 'Bronze Bomber', said: "It's been a long journey for me and as of today it continues. I thought so many times about whether I should stay out of the business or come back.

    "Once I got my statue in my hometown and saw so many people arrive and celebrate with me and my family, to see all the emotions, grown men crying in front of their children and saying he is a real true king, made me feel like my job is not done.

    "So, here I am once again, looking forward to returning to the ring. I am looking forward to coming to Barclays Center, a place where I have had my most devastating knockouts and a place I consider my second home.

    "So where all my Bombzquad people at? It's time to put on your war gear. And let's go to work, baby. Bombzquad is back!"

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.