Oscar De La Hoya hospitalised with COVID-19

By Sports Desk September 03, 2021

Oscar De La Hoya has been hospitalised after contracting COVID-19, putting his boxing comeback on hold.

De La Hoya, often cited as one of the sport's greats, was due to come out of retirement to face former UFC champion Vitor Belfort in Los Angeles on September 11.

However, the 48-year-old has had to withdraw from the fight after falling ill due to the coronavirus.

Former world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, 58, is reported to have been lined up as a replacement for De La Hoya.

De La Hoya tweeted a video from his hospital bed on Friday, with the caption: "Wanted you to hear directly from me that despite being fully vaccinated, I have contracted COVID and am not going to be able to fight next weekend.

"Preparing for this comeback has been everything to me over the last months, and I want to thank everyone for their tremendous support."

De La Hoya went on to explain he feels he will still be back and ready to fight before the end of 2021.

"I am currently in the hospital getting treatment and am confident I will be back in the ring before the year is up. God bless everyone and stay safe," a follow-up tweet read.

In the video itself, De La Hoya – who had a 39-6 record from his 45 professional fights – said: "I mean, what are the chances of me getting COVID?

"I've been taking care of myself. This really, really kicked my a**."

Related items

  • Young Boys granted 'special permit' to face Man Utd at Old Trafford without quarantine Young Boys granted 'special permit' to face Man Utd at Old Trafford without quarantine

    Young Boys have been granted a "special permit" allowing them to face Manchester United at Old Trafford in the Champions League next Wednesday.

    Switzerland have imposed a new 10-day quarantine period for those returning from the United Kingdom, sparking concerns that Young Boys' clash with United would have to take place elsewhere.

    However, the Swiss champions have now received permission from the Canton of Bern to travel to and from England without any COVID-19 travel restrictions.

    Young Boys announced the news confirming their trip to Manchester will go ahead as planned via a statement on the club's official website on Wednesday.

    "BSC Young Boys has received a special permit from the Canton of Bern for away games in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Youth League," the statement read.

    "This means that the players and staff of the teams do not have to be in ten-day quarantine after returning from the UEFA Champions League game against Manchester United on Wednesday, December 8.

    "This would have meant that the Swiss champions would not have been able to play their games against Sion (December 12) and Basel (December 15) and would also have played the last game of the year on December 19 in Lugano, coming straight out of quarantine.

    "The BSC Young Boys points out that the players and staff will be in a bubble strictly separated from the environment [between] Tuesday, 7 December from the departure at the Wankdorf Stadium via the charter flight to Manchester until the return journey on Thursday, 9 December.

    "This concept has already proven its worth on the five European trips to the away games so far this season.

    "The BSC YB would like to thank the Canton of Bern for its flexibility and the exemption and will do everything in its power to continue to serve as a role model."

  • Fury must clear heavyweight division to cement legacy, says Briggs Fury must clear heavyweight division to cement legacy, says Briggs

    Tyson Fury needs to defeat more of the heavyweight division to "cement his greatness", so says Shannon Briggs.

    WBC champion Fury is eager to return to the ring by early 2022 following victory over Deontay Wilder in the trilogy fight between the pair in October.

    But his opponent remains unclear as uncertainty lingers whether he will face Dillian Whyte, who wants to be sanctioned as the mandatory challenger for the heavyweight title.

    Fury also has his eyes on a bout against Oleksandr Usyk, who claimed the WBA, WBO and IBF titles from Anthony Joshua in September.

    Usyk and Joshua are set to meet again in the early months of 2022, though the latter could drop out to allow the undisputed fight and Briggs believes Fury needs to face top contenders to cement his legacy.

    "I think he'll make the decision to stick around and fight guys," Briggs, who was a two-time heavyweight champion, told Stats Perform. 

    "He's not very old, although he's accomplished a lot. He's had gaps in his career between lay-offs due to whatever circumstances he was dealing with. It hasn't been consistent. 

    "I think that for us to cement his greatness, we need to see consistency. I think we need to see at least three to six wins from the guys in the top 10. 

    "Clear out the top 10, clear out the heavyweight division, and then maybe we can say he's the greatest heavyweight of all time, due to size, due to his ability to move, his rhythm. For a big man, it's just unreal. 

    "His heart, his chin – he got off the ground against one of the hardest punchers that ever lived in [Deontay] Wilder."

    The undefeated Fury has 31 wins to his name, with the only blotch on his record a contentious split-decision draw against Wilder in their first clash.

    Briggs appreciates the talent of 'The Gypsy King', who he implored to become more consistent to further his standing within boxing's history.

    "He's shown us flashes of greatness, but we need to see one last thing," he added. 

    "What makes a champion is consistency, so we need six to 10 Larry Holmes style wins, Lennox Lewis style wins, staying busy. Lennox was a busy fighter. Lennox defended his title, he fought a lot.

    "We need three, four fights a year consistently for the next two years if not more. I think he's a great guy and a great fighter, but I just think we need to see consistency and consecutive wins."

  • Joshua allowing Fury and Usyk clash would be great for heavyweight division, says Briggs Joshua allowing Fury and Usyk clash would be great for heavyweight division, says Briggs

    Anthony Joshua stepping aside from his Oleksandr Usyk rematch would be a "great step for the heavyweight division", says former American boxer Shannon Briggs.

    Joshua is set for a second bout in early 2022 with Usyk, who claimed the WBA, WBO and IBF titles on a unanimous points decision at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September.

    The Briton has since hinted he would step out the way for WBC champion Tyson Fury, who is awaiting a decision as to whether he has to face mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte, to challenge Usyk to crown an undisputed champion.

    While believing a bout between the two British boxers, Joshua and Fury, would be an entertaining meeting, Briggs would like to see a bout to become the undisputed champion first.

    "The Fury-Joshua would be a good fight," Briggs, who held a world heavyweight title twice, told Stats Perform. 

    "It's a very interesting fight to analyse and to think about which Joshua is going to show up. We've got to find out which Josh was going to show up. 

    "I think that if Joshua steps aside and lets Fury fight Usyk, it might not be a bad idea. I really think it might not be a bad idea, and Anthony fights the winner. 

    "I think it'd be a great step for the heavyweight division, uniting the belts, and then Joshua would get the winner. He was the champion, he was the guy. I don't want to say it was a fluke, but he was upset by a great guy, a tough guy to fight. 

    "I don't care who fought Usyk. Usyk is a machine. He's not like normal people. He's not like normal humans. This man can handstand on his arms for an hour. This is what I was told. This man is in phenomenal shape. 

    "As the rounds go on, he gets stronger. As you can see in the Joshua fight in the 12th round, he put his foot on the gas. I think that he's going to be a tough guy to beat for Fury, for anybody. 

    "Maybe not Fury because of the height and the size, but we're going to see. That's what makes it great, because the interest is there. If Joshua is to step aside and let him fight Usyk, it might not be bad. Just a thought, and then he fights the winner."

    Indeed, Usyk is a phenomenal machine, having held world champion status in two weight classes while he is one of only four boxers to simultaneously hold the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO titles.

    Briggs, who collected 53 of his 60 wins via knockout, appreciates the class of Usyk as he reiterated the 34-year-old's impressive abilities.

    "Again, like I said earlier, the fight with Usyk is a battle," he added. "It's not an easy fight, it's a tough fight. 

    "It's a 50-50 chance. [Actually], it's more like a 60-40 chance that you lose because he's in phenomenal shape, he's a freak of nature, and he's not normal. 

    "On top of all of that, he's a southpaw. It's awkward, it's coming from another way. You've got to have super conditioning and step to him. 

    "You've got to be able to punish him and knock him out, but you can't be boxing him from the outside. You've got to wear him down. He's slippery, he's moving, he's awkward. You've got to be in tip-top shape to beat a guy like that."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.