Joshua set for August fight with Fury in Saudi Arabia, says Hearn

By Sports Desk May 11, 2021

Eddie Hearn says the first fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will take place in August and confirmed the "bad secret" that it will take place in Saudi Arabia is accurate.

Exact details have yet to be officially disclosed for the heavyweight unification fight which will see Joshua defend his WBA, WBO and IBF world titles against undefeated WBC champion Fury.

But Hearn has consistently said the fight is on and has now narrowed it down to two potential dates in August.

While Joshua had previously talked up the prospect of fighting at Wembley, the fighters will do battle in Saudi Arabia, ahead of a second bout later in 2021.

"August 7 or August 14," Joshua's manager Hearn told Sky Sports News when asked when the first fight would take place.

"Look, I think it is a very bad secret that the fight is happening in Saudi Arabia – I don’t mind giving you that information as Bob Arum has already done it.

"I have told you it's the same people that we did the deal with for Andy Ruiz, that event was spectacular, as partners they were fantastic as well.

"We are very comfortable, Anthony is comfortable, he knows those people, they delivered on every one of their promises last time - so we are ready to go.

"That's gonna be the date.

"You've obviously got the Olympics finishing on August 7 so in terms of a global spectacle it would make sense to go on the 14th.

"But that's one of the things to tick off in hopefully the next few days."

The update from Hearn comes after Joshua and Fury exchanged barbs on social media, with each calling on the other to take action and agree terms.

Joshua said he and his fans were "tired" of delays and called for more action from the Fury camp.

Fury responded by branding Joshua "an ugly Dosser" and urged him to "come get some", insisting the Joshua and Matchroom side were "no talk and no action".

Hearn is frustrated that a deal is not finalised despite broad agreement between the two camps.

He added: "I saw the tweets from AJ. He's tired, the fans are tired, and everyone is tired.

"We're in a stage where people are getting frustrated. The deal is done. Now we're on the finer details of the contract, which came back last Friday. It went back last night.

"They are on calls now in the office about it, and I think at some point people are going to have to take a little bit of a leap of faith in this deal.

"From our perspective and AJ's perspective, we're ready to go. From Tyson Fury's perspective, they've got a couple of lawyers across it from their point.

"The tweet from AJ last night was, 'Come on, less talk, more action. Let's get this done!'.

"There's no reason why it shouldn't happen this week. This is kind of like the moment where you could actually turn around at this point and say, 'This is dragging on too long, or I can't be dealing with this anymore'.

"But we have to nail this, and I'm not going to stop until I nail it, and everyone has just got to move forward collectively.

"We're ready to go from our side. We're not far away from their side and it is inevitable, but at the same time, we've got to close the door on it."

Joshua has a 24-1 record after avenging his only career defeat to Ruiz prior to defeating Kubrat Pulev in London and defending his titles at the end of last year.

Fury is undefeated in 31 contests, with one draw against Deontay Wilder, the American who he beat in their rematch to claim the WBC crown in February 2020, which was the last time he fought.

Related items

  • Joshua refuses to rule out stepping aside to let Fury fight Usyk Joshua refuses to rule out stepping aside to let Fury fight Usyk

    Anthony Joshua says he would consider stepping aside from his rematch with Oleksandr Usyk to allow the Ukrainian to fight Tyson Fury.

    Joshua is set to fight Usyk for a second time in early 2022 after losing to the 34-year-old, who claimed the WBA, WBO and IBF belts on a unanimous points decision at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September.

    WBC Champion Tyson Fury, after defeating Deontay Wilder in the final bout of a gruelling trilogy, is waiting on a decision whether a title fight will be ordered with Dillian Whyte, who wants to be sanctioned as the mandatory challenger.

    However, Fury's ambition is to fight Usyk in a battle to become the undisputed champion, leading to calls from the 'Gypsy King' for his fellow Englishman Joshua to step aside.

    For the first time a Fury-Usyk bout seems a possibility, with Joshua conceding he would consider skipping the sequel temporarily for both respect in boxing and financial gain.

    "I think people know not to approach me with that rubbish," Joshua told IFL TV when asked if he had been offered a deal to skip the rematch. "That is bulls***. It may have come to my team, but they know not to bring that to me.

    "Let me be real, it's not about the money, it's about the respect. What I want out of this game, number one is respect. You don't have to like me, but you will respect me. 

    "Second thing is to go down as a throwback fighter, somebody who was willing to fight the best in their division so people know me as a true fighter.

    "In terms of [stepping] aside, I don't know if that goes in line with what I morally stand for. But let me be real, I want to be known as one of the smartest businessmen as well.

    "I used to watch Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, we all know the stories of NFL players, basketball players, they make bad decisions. I wanted to make sure I make the smart moves when it comes to this business. If the money is right, you have to look at it.

    "You have to look at it. But respect to me has a lot more value than money. Respect first, what I'm known for when I leave this division, then being the smartest businessman in my career. 

    "That step aside thing, it may not go with what I stand for in terms of bringing me respect, fighting the best, but it may make sense for business."

  • Beaten lightweight champion Lopez insists: I won! Beaten lightweight champion Lopez insists: I won!

    Teofimo Lopez insisted he was not a "sore loser" after his shock defeat to George Kambosos, but he added: "I won tonight."

    Lopez suffered his first career defeat and lost his IBF, WBA (Super) and WBO lightweight titles in shock fashion against Kambosos on Saturday.

    The champion had promised a first-round knockout but was instead himself on the canvas early. Although Kambosos was knocked down in the 10th, he did enough to secure a split decision victory.

    The long-awaited fight at Madison Square Garden, which saw a series of date changes, led Kambosos to declare himself "the emperor".

    "I can't believe how good I boxed," he added, although for Lopez the disbelief centred around the result.

    "He's a hell of a fighter, but I won tonight, everybody knows that," he said. "The referee raised my hand.

    "I won tonight; I don't care what anybody says, I won tonight. At the end of the day, I've been here, I've done that, I want to thank God, I want to thank everybody that came out tonight.

    "Look, I ain't no sore loser, I take my wins like I take my losses. At the end of the day, man, I'm a true champion, I did what I had to do, and I went out there and did my best.

    "I don't care what anybody says, man, I am as real as they come, and this is the takeover, man, we don't stop, we keep coming.

    "At the end of the day, man, I love you all, I won this fight."

  • Kambosos shocks Lopez to claim lightweight title with split decision win Kambosos shocks Lopez to claim lightweight title with split decision win

    George Kambosos Jr has beaten undefeated world champion Teofimo Lopez in a major upset to claim the IBF, WBO, WBA and The Ring lightweight world champion.

    Kambosos was crowned the new lightweight world champion by split decision, 115-111, 115-113, 113-114 over 24-year-old American Lopez.

    In a tight tussle, 28-year-old Australian Kambosos knocked down Lopez in the first round with a overhand right-hand hit amid an energetic start, leaving the New York crowd shocked.

    Kambosos defied expectations and was on top throughout the middle rounds before Lopez rallied in the ninth round with a few booming right-hand shots.

    In the 10th round, Lopez dropped the Australian to the canvas with a chopping right-hand hit although Kambosos returned to his feet to fight on to victory.

    "I believed in myself, I backed myself and I said it time after time," Kambosos said after the fight. “You might not believe it, but I believe in myself. Look at me now, I’ve got all of the jewels.

    "Look at me now, I’ve got all the jewels. I’m not the king, I’m the emperor because I come to every other country and I take them out one by one."

    Lopez disputed the result after the fight, claiming he dominated although that was met by jeers from the New York crowd.

    Japanese boxer Kenichi Ogawa defeated Azinga Fuzile after dropping him three times in a dominant display to win the vacant IBF world super featherweight title in the co-main event.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.