Lomachenko 'ready' for Haney title shot after winning return from Ukraine military service

By Sports Desk October 30, 2022

Vasiliy Lomachenko says he is "ready" to face undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney after defeating Jamaine Ortiz on his return from military service in Ukraine.

Three-time lightweight champion Lomachenko returned to defend his homeland in Ukraine after the invasion by Russia, before resuming his career on Saturday with a unanimous decision victory over Ortiz.

The 34-year-old will now eye a clash with Haney, who was in attendance at Madison Square Garden in New York and outlined his hopes for fighting Lomachenko, stating "hopefully we can get it on".

"I will be ready," replied Lomachenko, who reportedly rejected a major title unification with George Kambosos earlier this year, instead opting to return to Ukraine and enlist for the Territorial Defence force.

Lomachenko added on his return against Ortiz: "I'm happy to be back in the ring and make this great show. He is a tough fighter, he is a good fighter."

As for the mouthwatering prospect of a clash between Lomachenko and Haney, the Ukrainian's promoter Bob Arum suggested a potential clash would be a meeting between the two best lightweights.

"The fight to make in the lightweight division is Haney versus Lomachenko," Arum said.

"We will do everything we can to make the undisputed championship showdown that all fight fans want to see. They are the world’s premier lightweights, and it would be a fantastic battle."

Two-time Olympic gold medallist Lomachenko is expected to return to Ukraine to help his home country.

Related items

  • Jake Paul 'still doubts' whether Tommy Fury fight will go ahead Jake Paul 'still doubts' whether Tommy Fury fight will go ahead

    Jake Paul "definitely still doubts" whether his planned bout with Tommy Fury next month will go ahead.

    It was announced last week that YouTube sensation Paul and reality television personality Fury will meet in Saudi Arabia on February 26.

    They came face-to-face on Saturday during the uncared for the Anthony Yarde versus Artur Beterbiev bout, with security having to step in.

    However, after previous fights between the pair scheduled for December 2021 and August last year were called off, Paul is wary of his opponent withdrawing once again.

    "A part of me definitely still doubts," Paul is quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

    "It's scary and it's annoying, and the kid's not necessarily reliable but the money's good, for him, so he would be just so dumb [not to go ahead with the fight]."

    Paul confirmed MMA fighter Mike Perry, who left UFC two years ago, has been placed on standby to fill in should Fury pull out.

    The 26-year-old's move to boxing from the social media world has drawn plenty of criticism, but Fury would be the first professional boxer he has faced in a six-fight career to date.

    "I'm validated. I've done everything I needed to do in this sport for me personally," Paul said. 

    "I've proved everything to myself but it will be nice to take on a professional boxer, one with a big name, a tonne of credibility.

    "He's been fighting since he was 10, 11 years old and I've only been doing this for three years.

    "It's another stepping stone because I want to become world champion. I want to and I will. I'm capable of it and no one's believed in me.

    "When I said that four fights ago people laughed, they don't want to believe that's possible because of my background.

    "But I believe anything is possible if you set your mind to it and dedicate your whole entire life and have a little bit of natural talent, which I happen to have."

  • Fury 'in limbo' as he awaits Usyk fight announcement Fury 'in limbo' as he awaits Usyk fight announcement

    Tyson Fury is eagerly awaiting his return to the ring as an undisputed heavyweight clash with Oleksandr Usyk edges closer.

    Victory for Fury against Derek Chisora in December opened the door for the British boxer and Ukrainian star Usyk to finally go head to head.

    While yet to be officially confirmed, it is widely expected a bout will be scheduled in the coming months, though Fury could offer no further updates on the matter when he spoke on Saturday, saying he was in the same boat as his fans.

    "I'm fantastic. I've had a good Christmas and New Year. I've been training, and we're just waiting on an announcement," Fury told Sky Sports.

    "I'm in limbo like the rest of the world. I'm not interested in who, what, where or when. I just want to fight and that's it."

    Earlier on Saturday, Fury's co-promoter Bob Arum announced he expects a venue for the undisputed clash to be decided in the next week.

    "I think both of the fighters have agreed to the fight, I think the question is where the site will be," Arum said. "That will be sorted out hopefully next week and we'll have an announcement shortly.

    "If the fight goes to the Middle East it will be sometime after Ramadan, and if the fight is in the UK it will be the beginning of April."

    Before the Gypsy King returns to the ring, half-brother Tommy Fury will face off against Jake Paul next month in Saudi Arabia in a fierce grudge match.

    While Paul splits opinion, and his move to boxing from the social media world has drawn plenty of criticism, Tyson Fury warned his younger sibling that he will face a capable opponent.

    "I think he's a decent boxer. A lot of people think he's just a YouTube person who doesn't know how to box, but I've actually seen him training and I've actually seen his fights and I think he's decent," Tyson Fury said.

    "He's like a novice professional. He's only had six fights so he's exactly as good as he should be at this stage. He's not an Olympic boxer, but then again neither am I."

  • Joshua close to agreement on Franklin fight, claims promoter Joshua close to agreement on Franklin fight, claims promoter

    Anthony Joshua is close to reaching an agreement to face Jermaine Franklin in his next bout in April, according to the American's promoter.

    Joshua has not fought since failing to reclaim the WBA-Super heavyweight, IBF and WBO belts from Oleksandr Usyk last August, having first surrendered the titles to the Ukrainian in September 2021.

    The 33-year-old, who has lost three of his last five fights after going unbeaten through his first 22 as a professional, has reportedly held talks with both Demsey McKean and Otto Wallin in recent weeks.

    However, Franklin appears to have emerged as the favoured candidate for Joshua's next outing, which promoter Dmitriy Salita expects to take place at London's O2 Arena on April 1.

    "Jermaine is a world-class heavyweight from Michigan in America, who is on his way to bringing a big win back home," Salita told Sky Sports.

    "We hope to get the deal over the finish line to help Jermaine bring his lifetime dream to fruition."

    Franklin made his first appearance on British soil in November, earning plaudits for his performance in a majority decision loss to Dillian Whyte, the first defeat of his professional career.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.