NBA

NBA-worst Pistons fire head coach Williams after one season

By Sports Desk June 19, 2024

The Detroit Pistons fired head coach Monty Williams on Wednesday after going an NBA-worst 14-68 in his first season on the sidelines.

Detroit gave Williams a six-year, $78.5million contract last June after he was fired by the Phoenix Suns following the 2022-23 season.

At the time, the deal was the richest ever for an NBA head coach.

Detroit, though, finished with the worst record in franchise history and set an NBA single-season record along the way when it lost 28 straight games after opening 2-1.

It’s been an eventful off-season for the Pistons, who hired New Orleans Pelicans general manager Trajan Langdon as president of basketball operations and fired general manager Troy Weaver.

Detroit also had no luck in the NBA Draft lottery after being tied with the Washington Wizards for the best odds to secure the No. 1 overall pick at 14 per cent.

The Atlanta Hawks won the lottery despite having just a three per cent chance to win, and the Pistons fell back to the No. 5 selection.

Related items

  • 'No thought' of leaving Durant out of Olympics, says Kerr 'No thought' of leaving Durant out of Olympics, says Kerr

    Team USA basketball coach Steve Kerr says there is "no thought" of replacing Kevin Durant in the Olympic squad despite him suffering with a calf strain.

    The USA played their final warm-up game ahead of the Games, with LeBron James starring as they beat Germany 92-88 in London on Monday to make it five wins on the bounce.

    However, Durant has not played in any of those five pre-Olympic games due to a right calf injury he sustained while training last month.

    Despite stepping up his training in the last week, he is still a doubt for their opener against Serbia on Sunday.

    Kerr has until Saturday to finalise his roster for the Games, and insisted he would not be calling up a replacement for Durant, who he hopes will get to train with the rest of the team when they travel to Paris.

    "There's no thought of replacing Kevin," Kerr said. "I was hoping he would get a game in here, but it just didn't work out that way.

    "When he missed time, he came right back - and he is who he is.

    "He's one of the most skilled players of all time. So, we hope he comes back soon, and I think he'll fit right in."

    The USA are aiming to win a fifth consecutive gold medal at this year's Olympics, and will also face South Sudan and Puerto Rico in Group C.

  • LeBron James named Team USA's male flagbearer at Olympic opening ceremony LeBron James named Team USA's male flagbearer at Olympic opening ceremony

    LeBron James has been named Team USA's male flagbearer for the Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday.

    A two-time gold medallist in 2008 and 2012, the NBA legend was selected by his fellow Olympians ahead of what will be his fourth Games in Paris.

    James, who also won bronze in Athens 20 years ago, is the first men's basketball player to achieve the honour.

    The 39-year-old will lead his 591 fellow Team USA athletes along the River Seine in what will be the first summer Olympic opening ceremony held outside the main stadium.

    "It's an incredible honour to represent the United States on this global stage," James said, "especially in a moment that can bring the whole world together.

    "For a kid from Akron, this responsibility means everything to not only myself but to my family, all the kids in my hometown, my team-mates, fellow Olympians and so many people across the country with big aspirations."

    Four-time NBA champion James, who is also the record points scorer in the league's history, will look to help Team USA to a fifth successive gold in the men's basketball - and 17th overall.

    They begin their campaign against Serbia on Sunday while also playing South Sudan and Puerto Rico in Group C, with all their matches taking place at the Pierre Mauroy Stadium in Lille.

  • Hauser agrees four-year extension with champions Celtics Hauser agrees four-year extension with champions Celtics

    Sam Hauser has agreed to a four-year, $45million contract extension with the Boston Celtics, his agent told ESPN on Sunday.

    Hauser signed with the Celtics in 2021 as an undrafted rookie and has since established himself as one of the NBA's most accurate 3-point shooters.

    His current rookie contract is due to expire in 2025, but this extension will keep him with the team until the end of the 2028-29 season.

    Hauser shot 42.4% on 3-pointers last season, the fourth-best in the league among players with over 400 attempts, and became just the third player in Celtics history to make 10 3-pointers in a game in 2023-24.

    The 26-year-old also made 179 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers last season, the sixth most in the NBA.

    His extension is the third of the offseason already, with All-NBA forward Jayson Tatum signing a $315million five-year deal and guard Derrick White committing to $125million over four years.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.