England's opening one-day international against South Africa on Friday has been postponed after a player from the host team tested positive for coronavirus.

Eoin Morgan's side had been due to play the Proteas in the first of three ODIs at Newlands but the match was called off an hour before play was due to start.

The first fixture will now take place on Sunday at Boland Park, with the second and third ODIs at Newlands next Monday and Wednesday respectively.

A statement from the England and Wales Cricket Board said: "The ECB and Cricket South Africa have announced the postponement of the first one-day International of the three-match series to Sunday, December 6.

"This decision results from a player from the Proteas team testing positive for COVID-19 after the teams’ last round of scheduled testing performed on Thursday ahead of the ODIs.

"In the interests of the safety and well-being of both teams, match officials and all involved in the match, the acting chief executive of CSA, Kugandrie Govender as well as the chief executive of the ECB, Tom Harrison, have agreed to postpone the first fixture to Sunday."

England beat South Africa 3-0 in the recent three-match T20 series.

Luis Suarez will resume training with his Atletico Madrid team-mates on Friday after the club announced he has returned a negative coronavirus test.

The Uruguay international has missed Atletico's last four matches after he contracted COVID-19 while away on international duty last month.

In his absence Atletico have won two LaLiga matches 1-0 – including against his former club Barcelona – and drawn Champions League games 0-0 and 1-1 against Lokomotiv Moscow and Bayern Munich respectively.

Suarez's match fitness will be assessed by head coach Diego Simeone to determine whether the 33-year-old can feature in Atletico's league fixture at home to Real Valladolid on Saturday.

"Luis Suarez will join the group training sessions of the first team tomorrow after having tested negative in the official LaLiga PCR test," read a statement from Atletico on Thursday.

"The Uruguayan, after overcoming COVID-19 and complying with all health protocols, is reintegrated into the group and will be under Diego Simeone's control again."

Suarez had been in fine form for Atletico this season with five goals in his first six LaLiga appearances since he joined from Barca for a nominal fee in September.

The striker's 1.2 goals per 90 minutes is the highest of any player in the division to have played at least three matches, with Valencia's Manu Vallejo (1.02) next best.

Barcelona's Sergi Roberto has tested positive for coronavirus, the LaLiga club have announced.

Roberto, who suffered a thigh injury against Atletico Madrid last month, was already set to be out of action until January.

Barca reported on Wednesday that Roberto "is in good health and is isolating at home".

Their statement added: "The club has informed the relevant sports and health authorities, and all those who had contact with the player were tracked via further PCR tests."

Right-back Roberto had started seven of the Blaugrana's eight league games prior to his injury, despite the signing of Sergino Dest from Ajax.

Dest started ahead of Roberto for October's Clasico, which Real Madrid won 3-1.

The Spain international – also capable of playing in midfield – has scored once in LaLiga this term, providing two assists from 10 chances created.

Lewis Hamilton is "devastated" that he will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for coronavirus.

Seven-time Formula One champion Hamilton awoke with mild symptoms on Monday and returned a positive test for COVID-19.

According to Mercedes, he found out on the same day that a close contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain for last weekend's race had also tested positive.

The team also said Hamilton tested negative three times prior to the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Hamilton is expected to be replaced by Stoffel Vandoorne or Esteban Gutierrez for the second race at Bahrain International Circuit.

In a statement posted on social media, Hamilton wrote: "I'm devastated that I won't be racing this weekend. Since we started the season in June, my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possible can and following the regulations everywhere we've been in order to stay safe.

"Unfortunately, even though I returned three negative results this past week, I woke up yesterday morning with mild symptoms and requested another test which came back positive. I've immediately gone into self-isolation for 10 days.

"I'm gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice to protect others. I'm really lucky that I feel ok with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy.

"Please look after yourselves out there, you can never be too careful. These are worrying times for everyone and we need to make sure we are looking after ourselves and each other. Stay positive."

Hamilton wrapped up the title in Turkey last month and triumphed in Sunday's first race in Bahrain.

Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19, Mercedes have announced.

The seven-time Formula One champion has returned two positive results since Monday, when he was informed a contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain had contracted the virus.

Mercedes said Hamilton, who is in isolation with mild symptoms, had tested negative three times prior to the Bahrain Grand Prix last week.

While the Silver Arrows have not confirmed who will stand in for Hamilton, their official reserve drivers are Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez.

A team statement read: "The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team regrets to announce that Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19 and will be unable to take part in this weekend's Sakhir GP.

"Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme.  

"However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive. Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.

"Lewis is now isolating in accordance with COVID-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain. Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well, and the entire team sends him its very best wishes for a swift recovery.

"We will announce our replacement driver plans for this weekend in due course."

Hamilton sealed the F1 title at the Turkish Grand Prix and was triumphant in the first part of a double-header in Bahrain on Sunday.

He becomes the third driver to miss a grand prix after a positive coronavirus test, following Sergio Perez at Silverstone – where he sat out both races – and Lance Stroll in Germany.

Nico Hulkenberg stepped in for Racing Point when Perez and Stroll were ruled out and could be an option for Mercedes this weekend too.

Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19, Mercedes have announced.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley is confident plans for next year's event will be finalised "very soon".

Uncertainty remains over the scheduled first grand slam of 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The start of the Australian Open looks set to be pushed back by a week or two, having originally been scheduled to begin on January 18, amid questions about the players' travel and preparation.

In a statement, Tiley said details were close to being finalised, with reports on Tuesday having said the event could be cancelled.

"Tennis Australia continues to work closely and productively with the Victorian government and we are confident we will be in a position to finalise details for the Australian Open 2021 very soon," he said.

"We are also in constant communication with the global tennis community, including the Tours, the players and their teams, as we consult with them on plans for the event and how players can safely practise and prepare for a grand slam tournament under the Victorian government's proposed quarantine conditions.

"Understandably there has been public speculation on the various plans under consideration as well as the many confidential conversations that have taken place and our position remains clear – everything will require approval and agreement from the Victorian government before it can be confirmed.

"The protection and safety of the community remains paramount in the discussions.

"Our team continues to work on delivering a fantastic – and safe – AO 2021 for the players, the fans, our partners and our staff. We look forward to announcing more details, including when tickets will go on sale, very soon."

Victoria has been without a new coronavirus case since October 30.

The Australian Open has started in January in every year since 1987, but Victorian minister for tourism, sport and major events Martin Pakula said last week next year's tournament was likely to be delayed by a week or two.

The NBA's preseason will start on December 11 ahead of the 2020-21 campaign, the league announced.

There will be a total of 49 games during the preseason, which will conclude on December 19.

Each NBA team will play a minimum of two and a maximum of four games – at least one at home and one away – with the 72-game regular season set to tip off on December 22.

LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers are eyeing back-to-back titles heading into the new season.

The Lakers ended their 10-year wait for a championship after topping the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals inside the Orlando bubble at Walt Disney World Resort amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Lakers' success tied the longest postseason drought in NBA history that a team ended by winning the title, matching the 1977 Portland Trail Blazers.

James also became the first player in NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL history to win the Finals MVP award for three different teams, having also been crowned Most Valuable Player with the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Heat, as he celebrated a fourth championship.

Anthony Davis and James became the first pair of team-mates in NBA history to each have 500-plus points and 200-plus rebounds in the same postseason.

Barcelona have reached an agreement in principle with their players over a wage cut that will save them €122million.

The LaLiga giants were seeking to reduce their wage bill amid financial problems due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In a statement on Friday, Barcelona confirmed they had reached an agreement in principle with their players.

Along with the €122m in savings, they also said variable payments of about €50m had been deferred over a three-year period.

"The agreement, if it is ratified, will be a milestone of great importance to redirect the current economic situation," the club said.

The agreement is pending ratification in the coming days by the players and coaches affected.

Barca are believed to have one of the highest wage bills in Europe, and the likes of Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal left the club in the close season.

Ronald Koeman's side are struggling in 13th in LaLiga ahead of hosting Osasuna on Sunday.

Red Bull must cope without sporting director Jonathan Wheatley for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix after he tested positive for COVID-19.

The 53-year-old Briton has not travelled to Bahrain and has begun a 10-day period in isolation.

Red Bull sit second in the constructors' championship this season, with Max Verstappen accounting for 170 of their 240 points and Alexander Albon contributing the rest.

Wheatley joined Red Bull from Renault in 2006 and has been a pivotal figure in the team's rise.

It remains to be seen whether he can return for next week's Ssakhir Grand Prix, which also takes place in Bahrain.

Red Bull said in a statement: "We can confirm that during mandatory pre-race testing in the UK, sporting director Jonathan Wheatley tested positive for COVID-19.

"In accordance with official protocols he will continue to isolate for the 10-day period and not attend the Bahrain GP.

"Jonathan's duties will be shared by a number of team personnel at this weekend's Bahrain GP.

"The positive test has not resulted in any other team members needing to isolate following contact tracing and will not affect the team's trackside operations."

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley hopes plans for the "summer of tennis" are finalised soon.

Huge uncertainty continues to surround the expected first grand slam of 2021 amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Reports have suggested all lead-up tournaments could be moved to Victoria, while players are apparently being denied entry to Australia until January.

On Saturday, reports said the Australian Open could be moved from its usual January start to either March or April.

In a statement on Sunday, Tiley said works were continuing – but he appeared to suggest plans were for the event to be held in summer, which runs from December through February in Australia.

"Tennis Australia is doing everything we can to finalise the summer of tennis as soon as possible," he said.

"Our intention is to deliver a summer in conditions that allow the players to prepare and perform at their best and the fans to enjoy their efforts – all in an environment that is safe for all concerned.

"We are working closely with the Victorian Government on a plan that takes into account the needs of the players, fans, our partners and staff, and is of major benefit to the Victorian and Australian economy.

"We are continuing our urgent talks with local health authorities regarding quarantining and bio-security requirements and are confident we will have decisions soon.

"Tennis Australia is acutely aware of the need for certainty, but also conscious of reaching a solution with the State Government that ensures the safety of the entire community.

"We look forward to announcing our ticket on-sale date as soon as all arrangements with the relevant authorities are finalising and we have more information on crowd sizes. We anticipate this on-sale date will be within the next two weeks.

"We can't wait for the summer and look forward to bringing you more details as soon as we possibly can."

The Australian Open has started in January in every year since 1987.

The Toronto Raptors will start the 2020-21 season in Tampa, Florida after being unable to secure permission to play in Canada. 

Amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the Canadian government requires any "non-essential" travellers to quarantine for two weeks when arriving in the country. 

The Raptors, NBA champions in 2019, will now relocate to Tampa for the start of the new season, which begins on December 22. 

In a statement, Raptors president Masai Ujiri said: "The Raptors worked diligently with public health officials at the local, provincial and federal level to secure a plan that would permit us to play our 2020-21 season on home soil and on our home court at Scotiabank Arena. 

"These conversations were productive and we found strong support for the protocols we put forward.

"Ultimately, the current public health situation facing Canadians, combined with the urgent need to determine where we will play, means that we will begin our 2020-21 season in Tampa, Florida. 

"So, we'll be away from our home and our fans for now. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I'm not sure that's possible for us. We love Toronto and Canada and we know we have the best fans in the NBA."

Real Madrid forward Luka Jovic has tested positive for coronavirus after returning from international duty with Serbia.

The 22-year-old was tested on Friday following his return to Spain after he scored twice in his country's 5-0 Nations League win over Russia on Wednesday. 

Jovic is now set to miss Saturday's visit to Villarreal in LaLiga and Wednesday's Champions League clash with Inter at San Siro. 

The Madrid man featured in all three of Serbia's games during the international break and scored in the Euro 2020 qualifying play-off against Scotland, which his side lost on penalties. 

Jovic's struggles for Madrid have continued at the start of this season, failing to score in five appearances across all competitions. 

In LaLiga, he has mustered just six shots, hitting the target only once as he has passed up two big chances. He has created a mere two opportunities for his team-mates.

Jovic scored twice in his debut league campaign in Spain, having netted 17 for Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga in 2018-19.

Madrid suffered a thumping 4-1 defeat to Valencia before the international break and are fourth in LaLiga, four points behind leaders Real Sociedad, who have played a game more.

Scotland's November 28 match against Fiji has been cancelled, Autumn Nations Cup organisers have confirmed.

Fiji are yet to appear in the new tournament due to a coronavirus outbreak in their camp.

Their opener against France was called off, with Les Bleus handed a 28-0 bonus-point win, before last week's clash with Italy likewise fell by the wayside amid 29 COVID-19 cases.

Tournament organisers have now confirmed more than a week in advance that Scotland will not be able to face Fiji either, describing the decision as "unavoidable".

Fiji will finish bottom of Group B but have one match remaining on December 5 against the fourth-placed team in the other pool.

This will be "subject to checks on fitness levels once the players come out of isolation and following all appropriate protocols", an Autumn Nations Cup statement read.

It added: "The tournament organisers remain in constant contact with the Fijian squad regarding their wellbeing and recovery, which continues to be the number one priority."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.