West Indies bowler Krishmar Santokie has been cleared of suspicion after finding himself the subject of an investigation by the Bangladesh Cricket Board’s (BCB’s) anti-corruption unit.

The veteran pace bowler, who currently represents the Sylhet Thunder in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), found himself at the centre of controversy after a wide and no-ball delivery against Chattogram Challengers in the opening game of the competition last month.

According to reports, the deliveries caught the attention of the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) who interrogated the West Indian cricketer regarding what had been deemed their suspicious nature.  The player was, however, cleared of any wrongdoing following the investigation.

“Whenever there is any evident doubt, they (ACU) normally investigate the matter. The ACU may have not have gotten any conclusive evidence in this issue and it is the reason why the matter did not come to us,” BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury told members of the media.

“Following media reports, they (ACU) have investigated the matter but in this case, they did not have enough evidence. I think that was the case in this matter too.”

Sylhet are currently placed sixth in the seven-team table, having lost six of their seven games, including their most recent encounter against Khulna Tigers.

Windies star Chris Gayle will feature for the Chattogram Challengers in the upcoming Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), contradicting recent reports that he was set for an extended spell away from the game.

The 40-year-old, who has expressed frustration with a lean spell of form in recent weeks, turned down a chance to represent the West Indies during the series against Afghanistan.  The player also insisted that he would not take part in the Australia Big Bash and claimed he was surprised to be listed in one of the teams for the BPL.

Chattogram insisted, however, that the player was due to appear at the tournament after being in contact with his agent.  It seems the club has now resolved the issue, insisting the player will appear for the second half of the tournament.

 "Chris Gayle has a hamstring niggle," Chattogram's managing director KM Rifatuzzaman told ESPNCricinfo.

"He will need a bit of time to be completely fit. He was always going to play in the BPL and even though we will not have him for the entire campaign, he will be available in the latter part," he added.

Gayle’s agent Rudradeep Banerjee confirmed that the player would be traveling to Bangladesh.

"In the MSL he picked up a niggle for which his doctor has advised him rest of at least two weeks," Banerjee said.

"That kind of puts him out for December. He would be free for maybe a game or two, but then to fly into Dhaka and back to West Indies doesn't make sense,” he added.

"If he would have been fit, he would have played the first leg, would have gone home on December 23 and come back again on January 4."

 

 

Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) team Chattogram Challengers have threatened action against Windies star Chris Gayle if he does not show up for the upcoming tournament.

The 40-year-old left-handed superstar insisted that he would take a break from the sport earlier this week, on the back of a disappointing campaign for Jozi Stars in South Africa’s Mzansi Super League.  Gayle, who also turned down an invitation to represent the West Indies in the One Day International series against India, was picked by the Challengers to play in the tournament, which begins on December 11.

While the player insisted he was surprised to be included in the list, the franchise insists negotiations were conducted through his agent.

“His agent confirmed Chris was aware about it,” Challengers team director Jalal Yunus said.

“Now if he does not come, we will seek a player outside the draft. But I feel (Bangladesh Cricket Board) BCB should take action in such cases to keep discipline.”  Yunus claims the team had not heard from Gayle for several days ahead of his comments on Monday.

According to the BCB, all protocol was followed by the team in their drafting of the West Indian. 

“We maintain all the standard procedures when any national cricketer’s name came for the players’ draft,” Bangladesh Cricket Board chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury.

“Either a player or his agent can show his interest and put the name in the list.  I have checked the process, and everything was done according to a standard process.”

 

Veteran West Indies opener Chris Gayle has announced that he is taking a break for the remainder of the year.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.