West Indies bowler Krishmar Santokie has been cleared of suspicion after finding himself the subject of an investigation by the Bangladesh Cricket Board’s (BCB’s) anti-corruption unit.

The veteran pace bowler, who currently represents the Sylhet Thunder in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), found himself at the centre of controversy after a wide and no-ball delivery against Chattogram Challengers in the opening game of the competition last month.

According to reports, the deliveries caught the attention of the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) who interrogated the West Indian cricketer regarding what had been deemed their suspicious nature.  The player was, however, cleared of any wrongdoing following the investigation.

“Whenever there is any evident doubt, they (ACU) normally investigate the matter. The ACU may have not have gotten any conclusive evidence in this issue and it is the reason why the matter did not come to us,” BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury told members of the media.

“Following media reports, they (ACU) have investigated the matter but in this case, they did not have enough evidence. I think that was the case in this matter too.”

Sylhet are currently placed sixth in the seven-team table, having lost six of their seven games, including their most recent encounter against Khulna Tigers.

Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) team Chattogram Challengers have threatened action against Windies star Chris Gayle if he does not show up for the upcoming tournament.

The 40-year-old left-handed superstar insisted that he would take a break from the sport earlier this week, on the back of a disappointing campaign for Jozi Stars in South Africa’s Mzansi Super League.  Gayle, who also turned down an invitation to represent the West Indies in the One Day International series against India, was picked by the Challengers to play in the tournament, which begins on December 11.

While the player insisted he was surprised to be included in the list, the franchise insists negotiations were conducted through his agent.

“His agent confirmed Chris was aware about it,” Challengers team director Jalal Yunus said.

“Now if he does not come, we will seek a player outside the draft. But I feel (Bangladesh Cricket Board) BCB should take action in such cases to keep discipline.”  Yunus claims the team had not heard from Gayle for several days ahead of his comments on Monday.

According to the BCB, all protocol was followed by the team in their drafting of the West Indian. 

“We maintain all the standard procedures when any national cricketer’s name came for the players’ draft,” Bangladesh Cricket Board chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury.

“Either a player or his agent can show his interest and put the name in the list.  I have checked the process, and everything was done according to a standard process.”

 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.