A man has admitted attempting to rob Arsenal players Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac.

Ashley Smith appeared via video link at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday and pleaded guilty to attempted robbery.

Smith, 30, has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced by Judge Sheelagh Canavan at the same court on November 1.

Co-defendant Jordan Northover, 26 of West Yorkshire, is due to appear before magistrates on Friday, having also been charged with attempted robbery and threatening a person with an offensive weapon in a public area.

Ozil and Kolasinac were targeted in an incident on Platts Lane, Hampstead, north-west London on July 25.

The duo missed Arsenal's opening game of the Premier League season at Newcastle United due to fears over their security after the incident.

Kolasinac has started the Gunners' past four top-flight matches, although Ozil has only made two senior appearances in all competitions so far this term.

Two men have been charged following an attempted robbery of Arsenal stars Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac.

Ozil and Kolasinac were targeted in an incident on Platts Lane, Hampstead, north-west London on July 25.

The Met police released a statement on Tuesday to confirm charges were brought against Ashley Smith, 30, and Jordan Northover, 26.

Both men have charged with attempted robbery and threatening a person with an offensive weapon in a public area. 

Mr Smith, of Cardinals Way, north London, faces an additional charge of possession of cannabis and has been remanded in custody. He will appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday October 3.

Mr Northover, of West Yorkshire, is due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court via video link on Wednesday.

Kolasinac and Ozil missed the beginning of the Premier League season due to fears over their security after the incident, but have since returned to the side. 

Arsenal have warned players about the dangers of London gangs after Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac were targeted, confirmed Per Mertesacker.

The two Arsenal players were the victims of an attempted carjacking in July while the club said "further security incidents" ruled them out of a Premier League game against Newcastle United.

Following an incident outside Ozil's home, two men were then charged with a public order offence after a reported altercation with security staff.

Mertesacker, who is Arsenal's academy manager having retired from the game, said players have been given advice following these incidents.

"There was a big discussion around gangs in London and the security matters," Mertesacker said to Sky Sports.

"What car you drive, what you wear in terms of your jewellery.

"So you need to be risk-aware in those days that anything can happen at any time. And these are examples you are trying to avoid.

"Once these things happen it is an eye-opener to where the world is in terms of poverty around London, and how can we make sure that it is not going to happen again?

"When these things happen, the more fences, the more security guys and the more gates will eventually happen - and that would be very, very sad."

Ozil has yet to feature for Arsenal in the Premier League this season, while Kolasinac has made two appearances for the Gunners.

 

David Luiz will make his Arsenal debut against Burnley on Saturday, but Nicolas Pepe has been kept waiting for a first Premier League start.

A deadline-day signing from Chelsea, the experienced David Luiz joins Dani Ceballos and Alexandre Lacazette in the XI as Unai Emery makes three changes to the team that won 1-0 at Newcastle United.

Lacazette was an unused substitute in that match and Spanish midfielder Ceballos appeared in the second half following his loan move from Real Madrid.

Pepe, a club-record signing from Lille, could feature off the bench for the second week running as Granit Xhaka drops out of the squad due to back and leg bruising.

Mesut Ozil is missing as a result of illness earlier in the week, but Sead Kolasinac is back in the matchday fold.

At his pre-match news conference, head coach Emery stated both players were mentally ready to return to action after being given time off due to concerns over their safety.

Ozil and Kolasinac were victims of an apparent attempted carjacking in July and missed last weekend's season-opening victory.

Calum Chambers and Henrikh Mkhitaryan, starters at St James' Park, are relegated to the bench.

Arsenal head coach Unai Emery is "100 per cent confident" Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac are mentally ready to return to action after being given time off due to concerns over their safety.

Ozil and Kolasinac were victims of an apparent attempted carjacking last month and missed the 1-0 win at Newcastle United on the opening weekend of the Premier League season, but they returned to training on Tuesday.

Footage of the incident showed Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two masked attackers who approached a vehicle driven by Ozil.

The duo featured in the 2-1 pre-season friendly defeat to Barcelona on August 4, but they were then ruled out indefinitely for "further security reasons".

However, both players are back in contention to play against Burnley on Saturday and Emery will make a late decision on whether to use them. Ozil may miss out through illness.

"They came back training with us on Tuesday. Mesut is a little sick so he couldn't train yesterday," Emery said at Friday's pre-match news conference.

"Each training session gives us good information, different options with them. Am I pleased to have them back? Of course.

"If they are training consistently each day with normal work I am going to decide and achieve the best solution each moment. It’s positive they are with us now.

"Are they ready? Yes, 100 per cent. Their mentality is focused on us, for training and the match.

"My focus is to be positive and think the players are 100 per cent with their mind here. I want to help them be normal with us, training, thinking and above all taking the focus for each match."

Two men were last week charged with a public order offence in connection with an incident outside Ozil's home, separate to the attempted carjacking. The two men were reportedly involved in an altercation with security staff.

Arsenal head coach Unai Emery does not know whether Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac will be available for next weekend's Premier League game at home to Burnley.

Ozil and Kolasinac missed their side's 1-0 win over Newcastle United on the opening weekend of the season due to security concerns.

Their absence came after the duo were the victims of what appeared to be an attempted carjacking last month.

Footage of the incident showed Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two masked attackers who approached a vehicle driven by Ozil.

During a news conference that followed Sunday's game at St James' Park, where Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored the only goal, Emery was asked whether he had spoken to the pair.

"The club is managing that circumstance," he said. "We want to be with them as soon as possible, with normality in training and normality to be ready to play."

Asked whether either Ozil or Kolasinac might be in a position to face Burnley, Emery replied: "I don't know now."

A club statement released by Arsenal on Friday said the welfare of the club's players and their families "is always a top priority".

Arsenal said the decision to leave Ozil and Kolasinac out of the travelling squad followed discussions with both men and their representatives.

Two men have been charged with a public order offence in connection with an incident outside the home of Arsenal's Mesut Ozil.

Ozil and team-mate Sead Kolasinac had previously been the victims of an attempted carjacking in July, causing them to miss two of Arsenal's pre-season friendlies.

Arsenal announced on Friday the pair would be left out for the Gunners' Premier League season opener at Newcastle United on Sunday following "further security incidents which are being investigated by the police".

The Metropolitan Police has confirmed two men were arrested and charged on Thursday. The two men were reportedly involved in an altercation with security staff outside Ozil's home.

A Met statement read: "Two men have been charged under Section 4a of the Public Order Act following an incident in Camden on Thursday, August 8.

"Ferhat Ercan, 27, of Highgate, and Salaman Ekinci, of Tottenham, were charged on August 9 following the incident and are due to appear at Highbury Corner magistrates' court on September 6."

Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac will be absent from Arsenal's Premier League opener against Newcastle United on Sunday due to security fears.

The Arsenal team-mates were the victims of what appeared to be an attempted carjacking in July.

Footage of the incident showed Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two masked attackers who approached a vehicle driven by Ozil, just days before the clash with Lyon at Emirates Stadium.

After missing that match and a friendly against Angers, with Unai Emery saying they were not mentally ready to play, the duo returned for the 2-1 Joan Gamper Trophy loss to Barcelona last Sunday.

However, they will not be available this weekend after "further security incidents".

An Arsenal statement read: "Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac will not be part of the squad for our opening match against Newcastle United following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police.

"The welfare of our players and their families is always a top priority and we have taken this decision following discussion with the players and their representatives.

"We are liaising with the police and are providing the players and their families with ongoing support.

"We look forward to welcoming the players back to the squad as soon as possible."

Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac are set to return to action for Arsenal just over a week after being caught up in an apparent carjacking attempt.

Gunners boss Unai Emery has included the pair in a 21-man squad to face Barcelona for the Joan Gamper Trophy at Camp Nou on Sunday.

Footage circulated on social media last month appearing to show Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two masked attackers who had approached a vehicle driven by Ozil.

Midfielder Ozil later confirmed he, his wife Amine and Kolasinac were "doing well" after the incident, which took place in London.

Neither player featured in subsequent pre-season matches against Ligue 1 sides Lyon and Angers as Emery confirmed they were not mentally ready to be involved.

The Barca match is Arsenal's final friendly before their Premier League campaign begins away to Newcastle United next Sunday, but new signing Nicolas Pepe has not been included in the squad.

The 24-year-old last played for Ivory Coast against Mali at the Africa Cup of Nations close to a month ago.

Meanwhile, Arsenal have confirmed the departure of Japan international Takuma Asano three years after his arrival from Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

Asano has joined Serbian side Partizan Belgrade following loan spells at Stuttgart and Hannover.

Unai Emery revealed that Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac missed Arsenal's 2-1 defeat to Lyon because their minds were "not 100 per cent there" following their involvement in an apparent carjacking attempt.

Footage of the incident showed Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two masked attackers who had approached a vehicle driven by Ozil just days before the clash with Lyon at Emirates Stadium.

While the likes of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette started in a strong Arsenal line-up on Sunday, Emery left Ozil and Kolasinac out of his squad.

"It's a very personal circumstance," Emery told reporters.

"Their minds are not 100 per cent there."

The Metropolitan Police is investigating the incident in London, which both players referred to in social media posts to reassure fans.

Kolasinac posted a photo of himself with the caption, "Think we're fine", while Ozil said he and his family were "doing well again" as he thanked supporters for their well wishes.

After Aubameyang scored in the Emirates Cup loss to Lyon, Emery said Ozil and Kolasinac would be back in action soon.

"They're better to be calm and spend time with their family," said the Gunners boss.

"We'll give them a few days before they start again with the team."

Arsenal star Mesut Ozil has reassured fans that he, his wife and his team-mate Sead Kolasinac are "doing well" following an apparent carjacking attempt.

Footage circulating on social media on Thursday appeared to show Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two attackers who had approached a vehicle driven by Ozil.

The apparent perpetrators, who were wearing masks, could be seen holding weapons that were reported to be knives.

Arsenal confirmed to Omnisport that both players were "fine" after the incident, which the Metropolitan Police is investigating.

Kolasinac seemed to find the funny side of the matter, taking to social media on Friday to post a picture of him and Ozil along with the caption "Think we're fine," and a clenched fist and smiling face emoji.

Ozil later tweeted the same photograph and added: "Sead Kolasinac, my wife Amine and me are doing well again after yesterday's incident in London. Thanks for all your supporting messages guys."

Midfielder Ozil and left-back Kolasinac had returned with Arsenal to London on Wednesday after their International Champions Cup campaign in the United States.

They started in the final match of the tour, a penalty shoot-out loss to Real Madrid.

.@seadk6, my wife Amine and me are doing well again after yesterday's incident in London. Thanks for all your supporting messages guys.  #M1Ö pic.twitter.com/ffu48rS9AY

— Mesut Özil (@MesutOzil1088) July 26, 2019

Sead Kolasinac confirmed he and Mesut Ozil are "fine" in a light-hearted update after the Arsenal team-mates were targeted in an apparent carjacking attempt in London.

Footage emerged on Thursday showing Kolasinac confronting two attackers who approached a vehicle driven by Ozil.

The masked individuals were seen wielding weapons, which were alleged to be knives.

Kolasinac referenced the incident as he shared a photo of the pair laughing in a post to social media.

"Think we're fine," the Bosnia and Herzegovina international wrote in the caption, which included an emoji of a clenched fist and smiling face.

"Thanks for your messages!"

Ozil and Kolasinac escaped unharmed by driving to a nearby restaurant.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "It was reported that suspects on motorbikes had attempted to rob a man who was driving a car.

"The driver, along with his passenger, managed to get away unharmed and travelled to a restaurant in Golders Green, where they were spoken to by officers.

"There have been no arrests. Enquiries continue."

Arsenal team-mates Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac escaped unharmed after being targeted in an apparent carjacking attempt in London.

Footage circulated on social media appeared to show Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two attackers who had approached a vehicle driven by Ozil.

The masked individuals were seen wielding weapons, which were reported to be knives.

In a statement to Omnisport, Arsenal said: "Mesut and Sead are both fine."

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said on Thursday evening: "It was reported that suspects on motorbikes had attempted to rob a man who was driving a car.

"The driver, along with his passenger, managed to get away unharmed and travelled to a restaurant in Golders Green, where they were spoken to by officers."

Midfielder Ozil and left-back Kolasinac had returned with Arsenal to London on Wednesday following their involvement in the International Champions Cup in the United States.

The pair both started in the final match of the tour, a penalty shoot-out loss to Real Madrid.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.