Wests Tigers five-eighth Josh Reynolds has been charged by New South Wales Police with a domestic violence offence.

The NRL club confirmed the development on Thursday and said Reynolds, 30, "vigorously defends" the charge.

Reynolds is due to appear in court on December 18.

"Both Josh and Wests Tigers has previously alerted the police and NRL on this matter and will continue to work closely with the NRL Integrity Unit and NSW Police as Josh vigorously defends this charge," read a club statement.

"As this is an ongoing legal matter, Wests Tigers will be making no further comment at this time."

Reynolds, a former New South Wales representative, made seven appearances in 2019 after joining the Tigers from the Canterbury Bulldogs the previous year.

His contract runs until the end of the 2021 season.

Wests Tigers are prepared to reignite their interest in Sydney Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell.

The Tigers withdrew an offer for the Australia star last month after the Roosters took a contract offer for the 22-year-old off the table.

Mitchell.did not rule out remaining in Sydney with the premiers but has reportedly been told by the Roosters he will be unable to stay on due to salary-cap restrictions.

Wests chairman Lee Hagipantelis revealed Roosters counterpart Nick Politis has been in touch to notify him of Mitchell's availability.

"We are actively in the market considering a number of options that are available to us and if Latrell is to be one of those options he is more than welcome to reach out to us," Hagipantelis said.

"At the moment I don't think we are under any particular pressure, we have got a really talented and healthy roster, but it is an active player market at the moment and we want to make sure we are a competitor in that market."

He added, quoted on nrl.com: "Nick has been incredibly transparent throughout this process. He has called me chairman to chairman as a professional courtesy, which I am very appreciative of, and kept us informed.

"Nick has not involved himself in any sort of discussions or negotiations or anything of that kind. It was simply as a professional courtesy to inform me of what the Roosters' position was."

Promising playmaker Dylan Brown has agreed a three-year contract extension that will keep him with Parramatta Eels until 2023.

Brown impressed during his debut NRL season and will reportedly play under improved terms next year before earning AUS$2million across the following three campaigns.

The 19-year-old, who represented New Zealand in the World Cup Nines in October, made 15 appearances for the Eels in 2019, contributing four tries and five assists.

Parramatta are understood to have moved to tie him down in a bid to ward off interest from a number of NRL rivals.

"The signing of Dylan Brown aligns with our development club philosophy and we're extremely proud of the person and player he has become. We're excited about the future ahead for our members and fans," said Eels general manager Mark O'Neill.

Melbourne Storm star Suliasi Vunivalu will switch to rugby union from 2021 after signing a two-year deal with the Reds.

Vunivalu, 24, played union as a teenager before being signed by the Storm, where he made his NRL debut in 2016.

The Fiji international has scored 72 tries in 94 NRL games for Melbourne, helping the Storm win the 2017 premiership.

Vunivalu will honour the final year of his contract with the Storm before joining the Reds in 2021, it was confirmed on Tuesday.

"The Storm has been wonderful to me, and I'm continuing to make great memories here," he said.

"However, the offer from rugby union was too good for me to refuse, especially considering I have a young family who I want to do the best for.

"I was a rugby union player before switching to league and always thought going back to rugby was an option for my career and I never wanted to play for another NRL club.

"I'd hate to have to go up against Storm and my mates. Now this decision is public, I'm concentrating 100 per cent on my final year in Melbourne and looking forward to doing the best I can for the boys, the coaches and all our members and fans.

"I won't be making any further comments on rugby until the NRL season is done."

Vunivalu was the top try-scorer in the NRL in 2016 and 2017, crossing 23 times in each campaign.

Reds head coach Brad Thorn was delighted with the signing of the wing.

"As a group we look forward to welcoming Suliasi Vunivalu back to rugby and to Queensland in 2021," he said.

"Suliasi grew up playing rugby in New Zealand before becoming one of the NRL's most exciting players.

"He's an impressive talent and has an awesome ability to find the try-line. He brings good experience too with almost 100 NRL games for Melbourne and 12 rugby league Tests for Fiji. Suliasi will be a great addition to our programme."

Trent Merrin will return to the St George Illawarra Dragons after signing a two-year deal with the NRL club.

Merrin, 30, spent this year with the Leeds Rhinos in the Super League, but is back with the club he started his career at in 2009.

The former Australia and New South Wales representative played 133 NRL games for the Dragons, including the 2010 Grand Final win, before joining the Penrith Panthers in 2016.

Merrin replaces Luciano Leilua, who was released from the final year of his contract, in the Dragons squad.

"Trent could've jumped like a kangaroo all the way back to Australia he's that excited to come back to the Dragons," Dragons director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said in a statement.

"Trent has indicated to the club several times over the past 12 months that he'd love to come home; an opportunity for this has since come up after the club granted Luciano his requested release.

"Luciano indicated he wouldn't be renewing his contract with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season. As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money.

"Trent brings plenty of experience to the Dragons' forward pack and is someone who is really passionate and can't wait to put the red V back on."

The Dragons are looking to bounce back in 2020 after finishing 15th in the table this year.

Meanwhile, the Rhinos wrote on Twitter: "A big thank you to @TrentMerrin for all his efforts in blue and amber, from everyone at the Rhinos we wish him and Jess all the very best for the future."

Leeds also confirmed the signing of Matt Prior from the Cronulla Sharks.

Josh Addo-Carr is committed to Melbourne Storm despite reports linking him with a return to Wests Tigers, insists CEO Dave Donaghy.

The Tigers were believed to have turned their attention to the Melbourne wing, who was said to be interested in moving back to Sydney for personal reasons, after pulling out of negotiations with Latrell Mitchell.

However, the NRL minor premiers have stated Addo-Carr will not be going anywhere ahead of the 2020 campaign.

"We don't respond a lot to external noise but given there is quite a bit of commentary at the moment I thought I'd clear that up," Donaghy told the Herald Sun.

"Where the talk is coming from I'm not sure, but I can say hand on heart Josh is committed to Storm as much as we're committed to Josh.

"I can understand and accept at different times two plus two can equal five as opposed to what it actually equals.

"I think it is all part of the theatre, the environment of the industry that we operate in and that's the reality.

"The facts of the matter are Josh's current contract status is he's signed until 2021 and he's reaffirmed his commitment to Storm.

"Not that we were seeking it, we knew that anyway, but he felt he wanted to reaffirm that."

The Storm also confirmed the departures of Brodie Croft and Curtis Scott on Friday.

Croft has joined Brisbane Broncos on a three-year deal, while Scott agreed a four-year contract with 2019 Grand Final runners-up Canberra Raiders.

Wests Tigers have withdrawn their offer for disgruntled Sydney Roosters star Latrell Mitchell, the NRL side revealed on Thursday.

The Tigers were interested in luring Mitchell from NRL champions the Roosters, who pulled their contract offer for the centre earlier this month.

Mitchell – contracted to the Roosters for another season – has also been linked to Canterbury Bulldogs and Gold Coast Titans.

But the 22-year-old Australia international will not be making the move to Wests Tigers as his future remains in limbo.

"We've withdrawn the offer," Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe told foxsports.com.au.

"It's an active market and we have a responsibility to our members, fans and the club.

"We're focused on securing talent but in relation to Latrell, we've moved on."

It comes as the Tigers reportedly set their sights on Melbourne Storm star Josh Addo-Carr.

A Grand Final winner with the Storm in 2017, New South Wales representative Addo-Carr is believed to be eyeing a return home.

The 24-year-old speedster moved to the Storm from the Tigers ahead of the 2017 season.

 

Shane Flanagan's return to the NRL will come as an assistant coach with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

The former Cronulla Sharks premiership-winning coach, deregistered by the NRL late last year, has signed a one-year deal with the Dragons.

Flanagan was deregistered after it was found he was dealing with the Sharks while banned in 2014, suspended at the time following the club's supplements saga.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor was pleased to welcome Flanagan to the club.

"Shane will be a valuable asset to the Dragons' endeavours in 2020," he said in a statement on Wednesday.

"His success has been proven time and time again over many years and we're glad to have him on board."

Flanagan can begin working with the Dragons, who finished 15th in 2019, in late December.

NRL great Cameron Smith will play for Melbourne Storm during the 2020 season.

Smith, 36, became the first player to reach 400 NRL games during 2019, consolidating his position among the greats.

The former Australia and Queensland star, who is Storm captain, will play on next year, it was confirmed on Thursday.

"I've had a good break after another pretty big season in 2019. I've had time to relax and put my feet up and I'm feeling pretty fresh now," the hooker said.

"I'm looking forward to next year.

"I've been given some 'long service' leave [from training] as I had last year as well so I won't be back until the New Year.

"That seemed to work really well last year. It gives me plenty of time to freshen up and get ready for another gruelling season.

"I'm excited to see the squad improve on last year … and seeing the younger guys go to another level again in 2020."

Smith played 27 games last season and finished as runner-up to Sydney Roosters star James Tedesco for the Dally M Medal.

Storm finished top of the table before falling to a Preliminary Final loss to eventual premiers the Roosters.

NRL veteran Issac Luke has joined the St George Illawarra Dragons on a one-year deal.

Luke, 32, will enter his 14th season as he looks to add to his 271 games in the NRL.

The hooker has previously played for the South Sydney Rabbitohs and New Zealand Warriors, while he is also a 43-time New Zealand international.

"Everyone is already aware of Issac's career in regard to his longevity," Dragons director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said in a statement on Tuesday.

"Issac has walked the path of the NRL over a long period of time now and will be great for our squad.

"To have a really established back-up player of his calibre is exciting. Our coaching staff were keen to have him on our roster with plans in mind regarding how they'd like to play him, which have already been discussed with Issac as well as Cameron [McInnes].

"With Issac now on board, we have 25 players on our roster [and] 23 of them have played NRL and while that includes those who have just received their first taste of first grade like Jackson Ford and Jason Saab, we are pleased with Issac's injection of experience."

The Dragons struggled during the 2019 season, winning just eight games to finish 15th.

Brothers Jake and Tom Trbojevic have signed six-year deals with NRL side Manly Sea Eagles.

Jake, 25, and Tom, 23, have both played for Australia and New South Wales, and have now signed on with Manly until at least the end of 2026.

The duo have won four of the past five best and fairest awards at Manly, with Jake clinching three of those – in 2015, 2018 and 2019.

"The Sea Eagles mean the world to Tom and me. We're proud to be Manly men," Jake said in a statement on Friday.

"To know that we will be playing together for the Sea Eagles for a further six years after next season is an incredible feeling.

"I believe this club is certainly heading in the right direction. I can't wait to get back to Lottoland and play in front of our great members again next season."

Tom was also delighted to re-sign with the Sea Eagles, eager to deliver a premiership to the club.

"Jake and I love playing for Manly. It's our home," he said.

"I know this team can certainly be finals contenders for many years to come, and hopefully, we can lift that NRL premiership trophy in the near future.

"I'm really looking forward to returning to the field next season and playing in front of our fantastic members at Lottoland."

Manly made the finals in 2019 before suffering a semi-final loss to South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Canterbury Bulldogs playmaker Kieran Foran is set to miss up to 12 months as he prepares to undergo further surgery on his shoulder.

Foran, 29, underwent surgery on Tuesday, the Bulldogs said, after hurting his shoulder during New Zealand's win over Great Britain earlier this month.

The NRL club said Foran would need between nine and 12 months to recover, likely ruling him out for the entire 2020 season.

"Kieran Foran yesterday underwent re-constructive surgery on his injured shoulder," a statement read on Wednesday.

"The surgery revealed that there was new and additional damage to the shoulder that will require Kieran to undergo further surgery later this month.

"At this stage the rehabilitation period for recovery has been estimated as being between nine and 12 months."

Foran has played just 26 matches across two seasons since joining the Bulldogs from the New Zealand Warriors ahead of the 2018 campaign.

The Bulldogs finished the 2019 season in 12th place in the ladder.

Eddie Jones fended off reports he interested in an NRL coaching role but is unsure how long he will remain England boss.

Jones has been linked with a switch to rugby league to take over at South Sydney Rabbitohs following England's Rugby World Cup final defeat to South Africa.

Rugby Australia expressed an interest in appointing Jones for a second spell as Wallabies head coach, but it was told he is unavailable.

Jones is contracted to England until 2021 but the canny Australian gave little away when asked about his future as he prepares to coach the Barbarians against Fiji at Twickenham on Saturday.

Asked about a potential move to the NRL, he told Sky Sports News: "There's all sorts of stories at the moment.

"I saw a story about me going to France, stories about going to Fiji - which is definitely a lot warmer than it is here."

Quizzed whether he would stay in his current role for the 2023 World Cup in France, he replied: "It's not really my decision. As you know, coaches are contracted by either a club or a union and we've got to perform. That's the only thing I'm worried about."

Jones also stated that, in hindsight, he picked the wrong team to face the Springboks.

"To a large degree, it was just one of those games. Some games you get caught. They started the game well. Things came off for them, things didn't go well for us." he added.

"We got on the back foot and couldn't get back on the front foot. If there's one thing I could have done now that I would have done, I would have changed the selection a little bit.

"I continually in the World Cup changed selection from game to game - in hindsight, I probably should have refreshed the squad a little bit.

"I'm not going to talk about individuals now. I just should have maybe changed the order of the 23."

Sydney Roosters will get the opportunity to secure back-to-back World Club Challenge titles when they travel to take on St Helens on February 22.

The Roosters beat Wigan Warriors to be crowned champions this year and will return to Lancashire for a showdown with Saints 12 months later.

Trent Robinson's side retained the NRL title last month and will be out to maintain their 100 per cent World Club Challenge record when they lock horns with the Super League champions.

Robinson said: "This is an important fixture on the rugby league calendar and we're looking forward to heading to England to compete against St Helens for the 2020 World Club Challenge title."

New head coach Kristian Woolf is looking forward to what will be Saints' first appearance in the fixture since 2015, when they lost to South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Woolf said: "We are really excited about the opportunity to face the Roosters in such a prestigious fixture.

"It will be a great challenge for us to test ourselves against the current World Club champions and we are aiming to stand up and represent Super League and this part of the world in what will be a huge game."

Brisbane Broncos forward David Fifita said he has learned a "big lesson" after spending time in a Bali jail following an alleged nightclub altercation.

The teenager was arrested after a reported incident with a security guard last week.

Queensland Maroons back-rower Fifita was released and has now returned to Australia, speaking to the media after touching down on Tuesday.

Fifita will explain his version of events to an NRL Integrity Unit and the 19-year-old expressed his gratitude to those who played a part in getting him back home.

"There has been a lot going on behind the scenes and I am really grateful for that," said Fifita.

"I have learnt a big lesson from what I’ve been through over the past few days."

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg warned players to be more responsible off the field, or else risk putting their careers in danger.

"It's a timely reminder that players need to be acutely aware of the position they put themselves in," Greenberg said on Tuesday.

"I don't want to see players miss games but if they continue to make poor decisions then they'll suffer the consequences. Players know the decisions they make are important.”

"In relation to David Fifita I am pleased he is home because it would've been a harrowing experience. I'll wait for the report from the Integrity Unit [before deciding if any action is necessary].

"I don't want to have another off-season of players doing the wrong thing. I get frustrated because there are so many good stories to be told. I want to talk about the great things our players do off the field."

Page 1 of 10
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.