Donny van de Beek should not have joined Manchester United as he struggles for game time at Old Trafford, insisted Dutch great Marco van Basten.

Van de Beek is yet to start a Premier League match for United after arriving from Eredivisie champions Ajax at the start of the season in a deal that could rise to £39.1million (€44m).

An unused substitute in Saturday's goalless draw with Chelsea, Van de Beek has only played 60 minutes of football in four Premier League matches amid growing doubts in Manchester.

Van de Beek, who was previously tipped to join Real Madrid, played the final two minutes of United's Champions League win at Paris Saint-Germain, while the 23-year-old started both EFL Cup games, having scored off the bench in the club's Premier League opener.

Legendary former Ajax, Milan and Netherlands striker Van Basten discussed Van de Beek's situation at the Theatre of Dreams.

"Donny should not have gone to Manchester United," Van Basten said on Ziggo Sport' 'Rondo'. "When you are a good player you want to play every week.

"It is really bad for a player like Donny to play only six or seven games this year. That is shocking for your match rhythm.

"I know he is earning loads and loads more than he used to.

"But as a top player you have to be critical and look at the chances of playing when you sign for a new club.

"Donny should have waited for better prospects and signed for another club."

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's midfield options include stars Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba, Fred, Nemanja Matic and Scott McTominay.

Solskjaer has preferred a midfield duo of Fred and McTominay just behind Fernandes in games against Chelsea, PSG and Newcastle United, with Pogba on the bench.

In his limited Premier League minutes, Van de Beek has a passing accuracy of 83.33 per cent – better than Pogba and Fernandes, while his chances created – one – is the same amount as Pogba, Fred and Matic.

United host RB Leipzig in Champions League action on Wednesday, before welcoming Arsenal to Manchester in the Premier League on Sunday.

The Red Devils are 15th in the Premier League through five matchdays, six points off the pace.

Former Milan striker and Netherlands head coach Marco van Basten said anyone who believes Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Lionel Messi does not understand anything about football.

Ronaldo and Messi are considered as two of the greatest players of all time, though who exactly stands alone as the best is often debated.

Barcelona captain Messi has won a record six Ballons D'Or, compared to Juventus superstar Ronaldo's five, while the pair have claimed numerous other club and individual honours.

Dutch great Van Basten, however, weighed in on the debate and made it clear who he thinks is the superior footballer.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is a great player, but those who claim that he is better than Messi don't understand anything about football or say it in bad faith," Van Basten told Corriere della Sera.

"Messi is unique, inimitable and unrepeatable.

"Players like him appear every 50 or 100 years.

"As a child he fell into the pot of football genius."

Ronaldo is enjoying another fine season, with the 35-year-old's goal tally already at 25 across all competitions.

The Portugal captain scored 21 Serie A goals in his first campaign in Turin, and he has already matched that figure through 21 matches this term.

Messi, meanwhile, has scored 23 goals in all competitions for LaLiga champions Barcelona in 2019-20.

Ahead of Sunday's Clasico against bitter rivals Real Madrid, Messi has managed 18 league goals in 20 appearances.

Marco van Basten has apologised after he was heard saying "sieg heil", a phrase synonymous with a Nazi salute, live on Dutch television.

Former Netherlands, Ajax and AC Milan forward Van Basten was working as an analyst for Fox Sports on Ajax's Eredivisie clash with Heracles on Saturday.

Prior to the match, Fox presenter Hans Kraay interviewed Heracles coach Frank Wormuth in German.

However, Kraay's attempt at conducting the interview in German amused Van Basten, who said: "Sieg heil, not so beautiful, pancake."

That sparked significant controversy, with "sieg heil" having been a phrase commonly used in Nazi Germany before and during World War II.

Van Basten has subsequently apologised, insisting he did not mean to cause offence.

"I didn't mean to shock people, I just wanted to ridicule Hans' German, but I'm sorry," the 55-year-old said.

Van Basten's comments follow on from Excelsior player Ahmad Mendes Moreira receiving racist abuse from Den Bosch supporters in a second-tier match last weekend.

The incident prompted Netherlands star Georginio Wijnaldum to vow to leave the pitch if he was racially abused, as well as calling on the Dutch government to act.

Protests were also held across the top two tiers in the Netherlands this weekend, with players standing still for the opening minute of each match.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.