Jorge Lorenzo may have announced his MotoGP retirement but the Spaniard was back celebrating a race win on Sunday.

The three-time world champion made the most of his wildcard entry for the virtual British Grand Prix, overcoming a difficult start to dazzle around the Silverstone circuit.

Lorenzo - who now works as a test rider for Monster Energy Yamaha - moved past Tito Rabat in the closing stages to seal glory, with Fabio Quartararo completing the podium.

His last victory on a real track for the team came in Valencia in 2016. He moved on to Ducati the following year, spending two seasons with them before finishing his career at Repsol Honda.

So, could Lorenzo be getting the taste for competition again?

The 32-year-old had already accepted a wildcard entry to this year's Catalan Grand Prix, originally scheduled for June, while he also told Catalunya Radio that he would expect to have plenty of offers should he choose to make a comeback.

"In the event that I wanted to compete again, I don't think I'd be short of offers, but at the moment that is not the case," he said.

However, Lorenzo also added during the interview that his retirement was final, having made the announcement late in 2019 "with the idea of leaving forever".

Silverstone will not be hosting a race during a 2020 MotoGP season that is still yet to begin due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Australian Grand Prix will also be missing from a rearranged calendar that is set to include a double-header at Jerez during July.

 

Former MotoGP star Jorge Lorenzo believes he would have plenty of offers if he decided to come out of retirement.

The Spaniard, 32, retired last year after winning three MotoGP championships, the last of which came in 2015.

MotoGP rider Pol Espargaro recently criticised Lorenzo, saying he had retired so he could leave Honda before returning to Yamaha.

Lorenzo, who is set to race for Yamaha as a wildcard at the Catalan Grand Prix, accepted the Spaniard's opinion and said he was sure there would be several offers if he decided to make a return.

"There are many opinions and you have to respect what they think. If in this case Pol thinks that and says it with respect, well, it is respected," he told Catalunya Radio on Sunday.

"In the event that I wanted to compete again, I don't think I'd be short of offers, but at the moment that is not the case."

Lorenzo struggled late in his MotoGP career, failing to register wins in 2017 and 2019.

He has no plans to make a comeback, saying he had achieved all he could in MotoGP.

"I have always said that the decision was final," Lorenzo said.

"You can never say, 'I will not drink from this water', but I retired with the idea of leaving forever. I was 32 years old, I had been a professional for 15 years.

"And luckily I have been very successful and I have won many things. Other riders have not been so lucky.

"To continue would be to repeat because I cannot achieve something more important than being the MotoGP world champion, and I did it three times."

The start of the MotoGP season has been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Three-time MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo will come out of racing retirement to compete at the Catalan Grand Prix in June.

The 32-year-old Spaniard will be a wildcard entry with the Monster Energy Yamaha team, for whom he has been employed as a test rider in the 2020 season.

Lorenzo said in a video posted on Twitter: "After some weeks thinking about it, yesterday I decided I would participate at the Catalunya GP.

"I'm really looking forward to it and I hope to see you all there."

Lorenzo has begun his test-rider role with a series of outings on the YZR-M1 bike.

His premier class world titles came in a nine-year stint with Yamaha.

He could not achieve similar levels of success during subsequent short spells with Ducati and Repsol Honda, and last November saw Lorenzo announce he would be quitting racing.

The Catalan Grand Prix takes place just outside Barcelona, with this year's edition scheduled for June 7. Lorenzo has won the race five times in his MotoGP career.

Retired three-time MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo will return to Monster Energy Yamaha in 2020 after agreeing to become a test rider for the team.

Lorenzo clinched his three premier class titles during a nine-year stint with Yamaha before leaving for Repsol Honda in 2019.

That disappointing move ended midway through a two-year deal as the 32-year-old – who finished a lowly 19th in the riders' standings – made a surprise call in November to quit racing.

However, Yamaha confirmed on Thursday that Lorenzo will make his official return as test rider for the Sepang shakedown test from February 2-4, where he will ride the 2020-specifciaiton YZFR-M1 and will take part in official and private tests.

"I'm very happy to announce I just signed an agreement with Yamaha to join their Test Team," the Spaniard posted on Twitter. 

"I want to do my best for Yamaha's future, and I hope my riding experience will be helpful to engineers and riders to bring the title back to Yamaha."

Yamaha, who axed Jonas Folger from its test team at the end of last season, also confirmed no wildcard outings are planned in 2020 but are "open to the possibility" should Lorenzo decide to race again.

Jorge Lorenzo will take time to travel and "party" before deciding on his next career move after calling time on his competitive MotoGP career.

The Spanish great announced the season-ending Valencia Grand Prix would be his last race and he finished 13th in front of his home fans on Sunday.

It has been a disappointing final campaign for the three-time MotoGP champion, who has struggled with injuries and form after switching to Repsol Honda.

Lorenzo is open to the possibility of taking on a position as a test rider in the future but for now he plans to unwind after a brilliant career.

Speaking to BT Sport, he said: "Now I can breathe, now I can relax! 

"It's a big relief to finish my career without a crash, I didn't feel great on the bike with the wind and the cold and when I knew I couldn't have the pace this weekend, when I understand I can't be quicker, I just tried to finish without crashing. 

"I spent my life travelling, sacrificing, training, feeling pressure to get results, I have many, many beautiful moments but also hard moments and a lot of discipline during my life.

"Now I just want to go on holiday. I will see what happens in a month, two months of holiday then when I'm home plan my next chapter. 

"Life is very open, there are many things to do. I love obviously to travel, to eat, to sleep, to party, just enjoy life. There is only one life, I'm just here to enjoy it.

"As I told you there are a lot of things in life, I'm open to any possibility, that [test riding] could be a possibility but I'm not close to that."

Lorenzo has many fond memories on the bike but counts the 2015 title win when he pipped Valentino Rossi to glory as his greatest achievement.

"Obviously, 2010 [was special] because I made a record of points, it was almost the perfect season," he added. 

"Apart from this I will remark 2015 because there was a lot of pressure. Valentino had to finish fourth, it happened, I won by three points."

Team-mate and compatriot Marc Marquez – who rounded off another memorable title-winning campaign with victory in Valencia – paid tribute to Lorenzo.

"I mean what we saw this year from Jorge is not the reality, of course [he will be] disappointed with the way he finished his career," he said. 

"I don't have in my mind this Jorge. Jorge is the one that was winning, a strong character, strong riding style. 

"I say all the best to him and for me he is one of the references in MotoGP and one of the references for the young kids."

Marc Marquez rounded out a memorable season with a dominant victory at the Valencia Grand Prix as fellow home favourite Jorge Lorenzo's final race ended with a disappointing 13th-place finish.

Having already sealed a sixth MotoGP world championship, Marquez's 12th win from 19 races in the last round of the season also ensured the teams' trophy for Repsol Honda.

Fabio Quartararo started on pole but after being passed by Marquez was unable to keep pace with the brilliant champion and crossed the line second ahead of Jack Miller.

Marquez's team-mate and three-time MotoGP champion Lorenzo announced his retirement earlier in the week and the 32-year-old, having qualified 16th, was unable to make significant headway on a cold and windy day in Spain.

Quartararo quickly regained the lead out of the second corner having seen Miller make a flying start off the line, as Marquez began slowly.

The world champion wasted little time slaloming his way back through the pack, though, and by the end of the end of lap two was second and in pursuit of Quartararo.

It must have felt like deja vu for the Frenchman, who has been denied a win in his rookie season on a couple of occasions by Marquez, and there was an air of inevitability when the brilliant Spaniard stole ahead.

With 20 laps to go, Marquez sent his Repsol Honda down the inside from way back at Turn 11 and quickly set about opening up an unassailable gap.

Further down the pack, Johann Zarco was taken away from the side of the track on a stretcher after a hugely unfortunate incident.

Danilo Petrucci, Zarco and Iker Lecuona all came off their bikes independently at Turn 6, but the latter's bike wiped out an unaware Zarco leaving him clearly winded, with television images later showing the Frenchman back in the garage with no apparent major damage.

The rest of the race passed by without major incident as Marquez coasted to an astonishing 18th top-two finish of another memorable campaign, surpassing 400 points in the process.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.