Inter Miami have confirmed the appointment of former England Women boss Phil Neville as their new head coach.

Neville is heading to the United States to continue his coaching career, joining up with ex-Manchester United team-mate David Beckham at the MLS franchise.

Previous coach Diego Alonso left after taking charge for the team's inaugural season; they finished 10th in the Eastern Conference before losing to Nashville in the play-in round of the playoffs.

As well as bringing in Neville, Inter Miami have also announced Chris Henderson as their new chief soccer officer and sporting director.

"I am incredibly delighted for this opportunity to coach Inter Miami and to work with Chris and the entire ownership group," said Neville, who can start his new job once he receives a work visa.

"This is a very young club with a lot of promise and upside, and I am committed to challenging myself, my players and everyone around me to grow and build a competitive soccer culture we can all be proud of.

"This fantastic soccer-loving market deserves consistent performances and a winning mentality, and I look forward to getting to work."

The Football Association (FA) confirmed earlier on Monday that Neville had stood down from his England post with immediate effect.

Co-owner Beckham believes Neville's experiences as both a player and a coach can help Inter Miami to success on the field, describing his long-time friend as a "natural leader".

"I have known Phil since we were both teenagers at the Manchester United academy. We share a footballing DNA having been trained by some of the best leaders in the game, and it's those values that I have always wanted running through our club," he said in a statement.

"Phil has deep experience in football, as a player and as a coach at both club and international level, and over his career he has worked with many of the finest managers and players in the game.

"I know his qualities as a person, his decency, loyalty and honesty - and his incredible energy and work ethic. Anyone who has played or worked with Phil knows he is a natural leader, and I believe now is the right time for him to join."

Phil Neville is expected to take over as Inter Miami boss after stepping down as head coach of England Women with immediate effect. 

Neville was due to end his tenure with the Lionesses when his contract expired in July but had hoped to coach Great Britain at the delayed Olympic Games in Tokyo. 

The Football Association (FA) on Monday announced that the former Manchester United and England defender has left the role, one which he took on three years ago. 

An interim head coach will be appointed to fill in before Netherlands boss Sarina Wiegman takes over following the Olympics in August. 

Neville's next challenge is set to be in the MLS with an Inter Miami franchise co-owned by his former team-mate David Beckham after the departure of Diego Alonso.  

The 43-year-old said in a statement released by the FA: "It has been an honour to manage England and I have enjoyed three of the best years of my career with the FA and the Lionesses. 

"The players who wear the England shirt are some of the most talented and dedicated athletes I have ever had the privilege to work with. 

"They have challenged me and improved me as a coach, and I am very grateful to them for the fantastic memories we have shared. 

"I’d like to thank the FA for the tremendous backing they have given me, in particular Sue Campbell [FA director of women's football],and my talented support staff whose energy, commitment and enthusiasm has been crucial to helping us make the progress we have. 

"I wish England Women every success in the future and look forward to following their journey in the years to come." 

Inter Miami have parted ways with manager Diego Alonso amid reports Phil Neville has been approached about taking over.

In their first season in MLS, Inter finished the regular season with a record of seven wins, three draws and 13 losses, which was sufficient to qualify for the play-in round of the playoffs.

A 3-0 defeat at Nashville on November 20 saw them fail to advance, however, and Alonso will not return to the dugout for a second campaign.

"Going through the journey of this inaugural season with Inter Miami has been an incredible experience, and I am thankful to the ownership group for the opportunity," Alonso said in a statement.

"I want to thank the staff for their work and friendship, the players for their efforts on the field, and especially the fans for their constant support throughout the year. I wish everyone the best this upcoming season."

Managing owner Jorge Mas added: "On behalf of the organisation, I want to thank Diego for his hard work and dedication during our inaugural season and wish him the best in his future endeavours.

"This was a difficult year and a very tough decision for everyone, but we believe it is the right step for the club. We have great expectations for Inter Miami in the short and long term."

England Women boss Neville is believed to be the frontrunner to replace Alonso.

Neville will step down from his role with the Lionesses when his contract expires in July but hoped to coach Great Britain at the delayed Olympic Games in Tokyo in July and August.

The 43-year-old is a former Manchester United team-mate of Inter Miami owner David Beckham. They are also co-owners of Salford City in England's League Two.

Manchester City reportedly believe they lead the race for Lionel Messi if the star leaves Barcelona.

Messi, 33, is out of contract at Barca at the end of the season and is linked with a move from the LaLiga giants.

The forward stayed at Camp Nou after sensationally requesting a transfer ahead of 2020-21, but it may have just delayed his exit.

 

TOP STORY – MAN CITY LEAD MESSI RACE IF STAR LEAVES

Manchester City believe they lead the race for Messi if he leaves Barcelona, according to The Telegraph.

City, Paris Saint-Germain and Inter have been most strongly linked with a move for Messi, who is expected to make a decision on his future at the end of the campaign.

Messi has scored 12 goals in 20 games in all competitions this season.

 

ROUND-UP

- With Gareth Bale injured, his chances of a longer stay at Tottenham appear slim. AS reports Real Madrid are expecting the attacker to return to the club at the end of his loan spell at the conclusion of the campaign, and that would hurt their chances of signing Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe with Bale contracted until 2022.

- Georginio Wijnaldum's future is no closer to being sorted. Sky Sports reports the midfielder and Liverpool have reached a stalemate over a new contract. Wijnaldum's deal expires at the end of the season and the Netherlands international has been linked with a move to Barcelona.

- Starring at Tottenham this season, Son Heung-min could be set for a new deal. The Telegraph reports Spurs are confident the forward, who is contracted until 2023, will re-sign.

- Mesut Ozil could finally be set to leave Arsenal. DHA reports the playmaker has agreed to a three-and-a-half-year deal with Turkish giants Fenerbahce.

- With Moise Kean impressing on loan at Paris Saint-Germain, Everton are expecting an offer for the forward, according to the Liverpool Echo. Kean has 10 goals in 17 matches for PSG this season.

- Diego Alonso is under pressure at the helm of Inter Miami, and Sky Sports reports the MLS side have approached Phil Neville, who is the coach of England's women's team, to take over.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.