Hamburg defender Toni Leistner has apologised for climbing into the stands to confront a Dynamo Dresden fan after Monday's DFB-Pokal match.

Leistner played the full match as his side were beaten 4-1 at Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion in the first round of the cup competition.

The 30-year-old was preparing to give a pitchside interview but then clambered into the stands and grabbed a home supporter before pushing him to the ground.

Leistner, who was born in Dresden and spent four years playing for Dynamo, claims he reacted after hearing taunts made about his family.

The former QPR man accepts his actions were unacceptable despite the high emotions of the match.

Writing on Instagram, he said: "I received some huge insults from the stands in my hometown after the game.

"Usually, I can handle that, but then it went below the belt against my family, my wife and my daughter. At that moment, my fuse blew especially as this was already an extremely emotional game for me.

"Something like this should not happen – I am a family man who wants to serve as a role model. I apologise for my behaviour and can only promise that, no matter what insults are thrown at me, something like this will never happen again."

Dynamo Dresden have placed their entire first-team squad in quarantine after two positive COVID-19 tests, with just a week to go until the 2. Bundesliga restarts.

The club confirmed on Saturday that two new positive tests had been returned after a third round of testing this week.

The unnamed players are "still symptom-free", the club said.

Sporting director Ralf Minge confirmed the whole playing squad, as well as the coaching and support staff, would now have to be placed in self-isolation.

"The fact is that we can neither train nor participate in the game in the next 14 days," he said.

The top two tiers in Germany are due to resume the 2019-20 seasons next Saturday after authorities gave the green light for games to be held behind closed doors and following strict health protocols. Dynamo are scheduled to face Hannover on May 17.

According to reports, the DFL will make a decision on Monday regarding postponing the fixture.

The Bundesliga was the first of Europe's major leagues to confirm restart plans after suspending competition in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.