Flamengo appointed former Brazil goalkeeper Rogerio Ceni as their new head coach, the Brazilian champions announced on Tuesday.

Ceni – who holds the record for most goals scored by a goalkeeper with 131 – replaces Domenec Torrent at the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores champions, after leaving Fortaleza.

Flamengo turned to Ceni after Torrent was sacked following just three months in charge following a 4-0 rout at the hands of title rivals Atletico Mineiro, having also lost 4-1 to Sao Paulo a week earlier.

The 47-year-old joins a Flamengo side third in the table and only a point adrift of leaders Internacional.

"Thank you all," Ceni, who spent his entire senior playing career with Sao Paulo up until 2015, said. "It is a very special day for me. I have 30 years of football. I already faced the crowded Maracana. 

"I saw Zico play, I even called him and asked for his permission to join the club. He's a unique guy, who I admire a lot for the free-kicks."

"I am very grateful to Fortaleza," he said. "The fans are sad, but I think they can understand the size of this challenge that I accepted. It is very difficult to refuse Flamengo because of the greatness, structure and the players who are here."

Ceni – a World Cup winner with Brazil in 2002 who had brief and unsuccessfully spells in charge of Sao Paulo and Cruzeiro – guided Fortaleza to promotion to Brazil's first division in 2018.

"Everyone wants to win everything in football," Ceni, who won three Brasileiro titles, two Copa Libertadores trophies and the 2005 Club World Cup with Sao Paulo, added. 

"We have to see how much each one is willing to give up to reach the goal. It is a very winning group. Who said it is not possible [to win everything]? Even more so with a group of players as qualified and a crowd as passionate as Flamengo's."

Domenec Torrent has been sacked by Flamengo after just three months in charge following a 4-0 defeat by title rivals Atletico Mineiro.

Torrent, who worked as an assistant to Pep Guardiola at Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester City, joined the defending Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores champions from New York City FC at the end of July after Jorge Jesus returned to Benfica, but Sunday's result was seemingly the final straw.

It was the second successive league match in which Flamengo conceded four goals, having also lost 4-1 at home to Sao Paulo a week earlier.

However, Torrent will justifiably feel aggrieved at his departure given Flamengo were third in the Brasileiro table and just a point adrift of leaders Internacional.

Similarly, Flamengo had gone 12 matches unbeaten across all competitions prior to the defeat by Sao Paulo and they topped their Libertadores group with five wins from six matches – their solitary defeat coming in a 5-0 thrashing by Independiente de Valle in their third fixture.

Mauricio Souza, the team's Under-20s coach, will step in until a replacement is appointed, as he did prior to Torrent's arrival.

Jorge Jesus has been appointed head coach of Benfica for a second time after leaving Brazilian and South American champions Flamengo.

Benfica have turned to veteran Portuguese boss Jesus after they were dethroned by bitter rivals Porto in Primeira Liga this season, it was announced on Friday.

Flamengo had been hopeful of keeping Jesus, who led the club to Campeonato Brasileiro, Copa Libertadores and Recopa Sudamericana glory following his arrival last year.

However, Jesus has re-joined Benfica, where he previously spent six years and won three league trophies among other honours in Lisbon.

"Despite regretting the loss of their victorious coach, Flamengo respects this personal decision," Flamengo said in a statement.

"On behalf of the entire board and the 42 million red-blacks who make up the biggest fan club in the world, our greatest thanks to him and all his technical committee for everything that has been done and our wish that they continue to maintain the enormous success as had with us.

"Flamengo, following what its anthem advocates - and which Jorge Jesus represented so well - will continue in its usual goal: Win, win, win!"

After winning a second Libertadores title and first since 1981 in November, Flamengo were crowned Brazilian champions for the seventh time last year, having not claimed the Campeonato Brasileiro since 2009.

Flamengo then added the Recopa – which pits the Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana champions against each other – to their collection in February.

Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo also wrapped up the Carioca state championship title against Fluminense on Wednesday.

Jesus, 65, wrote via Instagram: "It was 13 months of perfect union, a time when I was very happy, I felt at home, we had unforgettable achievements. But today we met with the Flamengo board and decided that it was time to end our relationship, without hurting, resentment.

"A break that will leave no scars, only memories of victories and titles, emotions that I will carry for life. End of a cycle, the time has come to return to Portugal. Flamengo, I am sure, will follow its victorious trajectory because it has a cast and structure that matches its greatness.

"To the club, its board and its employees, to this fantastic group of players, to the fans of Flamengo, my eternal gratitude, you will remain forever in my heart."

Flamengo are hoping Jorge Jesus remains their head coach amid a growing expectation in Portugal he could be heading back to Benfica.

Club president Rodolfo Landim said Jesus would be back at work next week, after Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo wrapped up the Carioca state championship title.

The 65-year-old Portuguese coach previously spent six years in charge of Benfica, leading the Lisbon giants from 2009 to 2015, before then spending three seasons with their bitter rivals Sporting CP.

Jesus has enjoyed a spectacular 13-month reign to date at Flamengo, with the Copa Libertadores and Brasileiro titles among the successes he has brought to the Maracana.

Reports in Portugal claim negotiations between Benfica and Jesus have already begun.

However, Landim said he had received no indication Jesus - who agreed a new contract until at least 2021 last month - wanted to move back to his homeland.

"On Monday, he'll be training the team," Landim said. "Everyone is free to go today, and everyone trains on Monday."

Quoted by Globo Esporte, Landim added: "We are expecting him there on Monday, that's what I said to him now in the dressing room. Everyone has the right [to have a break], you know, they won a title. Let's take a few days off."

Landim said Jesus had given no hint of an approach from another club.

"He did not mention anything, of course not," the president said.

Gerson has no interest in leaving Flamengo despite reported interest from Premier League duo Chelsea and Tottenham.

After an unsuccessful stint at Roma, Fluminense youth product Gerson returned to Brazil after an €11.8million deal was agreed with Flamengo in July 2019.

The 23-year-old has since won the Campeonato Brasileiro, Copa Libertadores, Supercopa do Brasil and the Recopa Sudamericana, while the Campeonato Carioca could be secured next week with Jorge Jesus' side taking on Fluminense in a two-legged final.

Gerson's displays have led to links to some of Europe's biggest clubs, but he insists he is happy at Flamengo.

"After a year with Flamengo, I can promise that I never spoke with another club. My focus is totally on Flamengo," he told Globo Esporte.

"I feel at home, I am happy, I am wanted and I am at a club that is on the level of European sides.

"We can't shut doors, football shows this, but today I am very happy and fulfilled to be in the club of my heart.

"I rediscovered myself here and I want to win yet more trophies in this shirt."

Salomon Kalou is close to agreeing a free transfer to Botafogo, according to a member of the Brazilian club's executive committee.

Former Chelsea forward Kalou will be out of contract at Hertha Berlin at the end of June and is in talks with the Rio de Janeiro giants.

Botafogo, who have ex-Milan midfielder Keisuke Honda on their books, failed to seal a deal for Yaya Toure, who Vasco da Gama presidential candidate Leven Siano has promised to sign.

However, they are hopeful of getting a move for another former Ivory Coast international over the line soon.

"He already has the pre-contract, but he asked for just one more detail in the contract that was sent to him," Botafogo official Carlos Augusto Montenegro told SporTV.

"I think it's okay. And if no presidential candidate for Vasco appears at his house, I think that maybe he will come."

Kalou, who is in a relationship with a Brazilian, was suspended by Hertha in May after being seen on camera flouting social distancing guidelines.

Botafogo have reportedly offered the 34-year-old an 18-month contract amid interest from European clubs.

Keisuke Honda marked his Botafogo debut with a goal against Bangu in the Campeonato Carioca on Sunday.

The former Japan star joined the Brazilian club in January and had an immediate impact on debut.

Honda opened the scoring on the half-hour mark, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.

But Botafogo were held to a 1-1 draw after Rhainer equalised for Bangu just before the hour-mark.

Botafogo are fourth in Group A in the Taca Rio after earning four points from three games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.