Ultimate XI T20 Bowlers: Dirk Nannes

By August 04, 2020
Dirk Nannes Dirk Nannes

Australia and Netherlands player Dirk Nannes happened upon cricket quite late in life. He was always talented at it but his first love was skiing. That meant he would play a few domestic games at the start of the season and maybe a few more towards its back end, but there was no consistency as he travelled the world in between, skiing in major tournaments.

When he did start to take cricket seriously, he was immediately noticeable. Genuinely quick, the left-arm seamer also swung the ball but he never seemed to quite turn the heads of Australia. After he turned out for the Netherlands in the World T20 in 2009, Australia did take a look at him. By 2014, he was one of the best T20 bowlers in international cricket and dominated the World T20 in 2010, taking 14 wickets at 13.07 to lead all wicket-takers in the tournament.

In 2010, looking to ensure longevity in a career that started late, Nannes quit the longer formats of the game, though he impressed in those.

His decision to become a limited-overs specialist went well. His T20 career lasted 215 games in which he took 257 wickets at an average of 22.51.

 

Career Statistics (2007-2015)

Full name: Dirk Peter Nannes

Born: May 16, 1976, Mount Waverley, Melbourne, Victoria (44)

Major teams: Australia, Netherlands, Australian Cricketers Association Masters, Canterbury, Chennai Super Kings, Delhi Daredevils, Lions, Melbourne Renegades, Middlesex, Mountaineers, Otago, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Somerset, Somerset 2nd XI, Surrey, Sydney Thunder, Sylhet Royals, Victoria

Playing role: Bowler

Batting style: Right-hand bat

Bowling style: Left-arm fast

 

T20I Career

Mat   Inns   Balls   Runs   Wkts   BBI     BBM    Ave     Econ    SR      4w    5w    10w

17       16      366     459       28      4/18    4/18    16.39   7.52     13.0     1         0      0

 

T20 Career

Mat   Inns    Balls      Runs     Wkts     BBI      BBM     Ave      Econ     SR      4w    5w    10w

215     211     4624      5720       257      5/31      5/31     22.25    7.42     17.9      7      2         0

 

Career Highlights

  • Took 28 T20I wickets in 17 matches at 16.39
  • Took 15 T20 WC wickets in 9 matches at 15.93
  • 1 T20I 4-wicket haul
  • Most T20I wickets in the calendar year 2010 (14)
  • 57 T20 wickets captured at 22.25
Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • 'Dottin will be eased back into bowling'- WI Women coach Coley says player still on recovery program 'Dottin will be eased back into bowling'- WI Women coach Coley says player still on recovery program

    West Indies Women interim coach Andre Coley has revealed that the team is still easing all-rounder Deandra Dottin back into full action, against England, after a lengthy injury layoff.

    With scores of 69 and 38 in the T20 series so far, Dottin has looked anything but rusty.  Notably, however, the player is yet to have a turn with the ball.  Dottin, as she often has, would prove more than a valuable weapon for the West Indies with the ball as well.  In 115 matches, she has claimed 59 wickets.

    Having suffered a serious injury to her right shoulder in early 2019, which required reconstructive surgery in June of last year, however, Coley insists the team is still doing recovery work with the all-rounder.

    “She’s just recovered from injury.  It’s no secret that our players haven’t been able to do much for a very long time,” Coley said.

    “Deandra is on a back to bowling program.  She started that whilst we were here, so she is still on that.  We need to make sure that she is 100 percent, to be able to bowl competitively.  She has been doing bowling work behind the scenes in training,” he added.

    “We are comfortable in terms of where she is at, but we want to make sure that long term she is ok and she can bowl at the intensity she wants to consistently and not just for a game or two.”

     

  • 'Windies Women paid price for losing intensity' - insists interim coach Coley 'Windies Women paid price for losing intensity' - insists interim coach Coley

    West Indies Women’s interim coach Andre Coley admits the team lost a bit of momentum after losing intensity during its unsuccessful runs chase against England on Wednesday.

    In pursuit of England’s target of 151, the West Indies were at 71 for 1 at around the halfway point of the runs chase.  The team was anchored by a 61 run top-order partnership between captain Stafanie Taylor and Deandra Dottin.

    Once Dottin was dismissed lbw, however, Taylor followed two overs later and a rapid collapse saw the team eventually all out for 104.  In the last 6.1 overs, the team nosedived from 72 for 1, to 96 for 8. 

    “For this format of the game, the intensity is very important. We had that early on with that significant partnership between Deandra and Stephanie of 60-odd that really kept that momentum going,” Colley explained following the match.

    “During that middle period, however, we actually dipped in terms of our intent and moved away from that intensity around scoring boundaries and that obviously led to us losing some momentum toward the end.  We needed to keep going to stay on pace with the required rate,” he added.

    Even before that, however, the team must certainly be regretting not doing a bit better with the ball.  Having reduced England to 96 for 6, they let it slip in the last bowling five overs, and a 150-target was always going to be a tough task.

    "In this game, we were able to pull things back in the middle.  Our spinners did well to pull back in the middle.  The last five overs was really what cost us, they scored 50 runs in the last five and that pushed them past a score we were looking at.”

  • Rugby Australia confident of reaching agreement to avoid All Blacks boycott Rugby Australia confident of reaching agreement to avoid All Blacks boycott

    Rugby Australia has vowed to do "everything in its power" to find a "reasonable resolution" after New Zealand Rugby (NZR) refused to rule out boycotting the Rugby Championship.

    NZR on Thursday stated it had not agreed to a schedule that is due to see the All Blacks play their last match of a six-week tournament on December 12, which would leave the players in quarantine for Christmas.

    Mark Robinson, the NZR chief executive, said the fixture list broke a commitment from Rugby Australia and governing body SANZAAR for the All Blacks to play their final game of the competition on December 5 - enabling them to spend the festive period with their families.

    Rugby Australia interim chief executive Rob Clarke says there is ample time to reach an agreement over the scheduling and is confident the four-team competition will be a success.

    Clarke said: "For absolute clarity - on two formal occasions - Rugby Australia was supportive of altering the draw so that the Rugby Championship could be played over five weeks.

    "On both occasions, that proposal was rejected which means there was never an agreement to finish the tournament on Saturday 5 December 2020.

    "That being said, no one wants players and team management to be away from their families and in quarantine over Christmas."

    Clarke added: "Rugby Australia will do everything in its power to help assist New Zealand Rugby and the team in finding a reasonable resolution, and in urging them to exhaust every possible alternative.

    "There are still more than two months to go before December 12 so we have plenty of time to find a solution.

    "We will continue to work with New Zealand Rugby and support them however we can, just like we are doing with the Springboks and Argentina in assisting with their travel plans, as well as making their stay in Australia as safe and as comfortable as possible during the tournament.

    "There have been a number of sacrifices made by each of the SANZAAR joint venture partners to get this far and I want to thank all of them for their flexibility and adaptability.

    "There is obviously a lot to achieve in the coming months but I'm confident that under the leadership of each of the joint venture partners, that the 2020 Rugby Championship in Australia will be a great success."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.