Was the hiring of Jose Mourhino the right move for Tottenham?

By November 20, 2019
Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Lucas believes in Spurs' trophy chances under Mourinho Lucas believes in Spurs' trophy chances under Mourinho

    Lucas Moura believes Jose Mourinho can deliver long-awaited silverware for Tottenham.

    Mourinho has led Spurs to four wins from six matches since becoming head coach last month, replacing Mauricio Pochettino.

    Lucas said Tottenham were well-placed to claim a first trophy since 2008 under serial winner Mourinho, who has delivered silverware at the likes of Real Madrid, Manchester United, Chelsea, Inter and Porto.

    "Everyone is excited to work with him. Of course he's a big name, a big impact for everyone. Everyone knows his career, how good he is, because he has won trophies at every club where he has worked," Lucas told UK newspapers.

    "Now it's a big opportunity for us to learn from him and we have everything we need – a very good coach who has a lot of experience and a lot to bring. I really believe we can win a trophy now.

    "Each coach has a different mentality. He always talks to us, he tries to put in our mentality that we are strong, that we are a big club, that we are winners.

    "He tries to put this mentality in us and then afterwards, tactically, step by step, his philosophy. But especially he wants to put this mentality – a strong mentality, winners – in us and that we can win."

    Sitting eighth in the Premier League, Spurs face a tricky trip to Wolves on Sunday, just over a week after thrashing Burnley 5-0.

    Lucas said Tottenham's performance against Burnley was one his team needed to use as a reference.

    "It was the best game with the new manager – from the first minute to the last we were aggressive – we didn't let Burnley play and that's the spirit we need to keep," the midfielder said.

    "We need to do it every game and if we do it – this aggressiveness, this concentration – then, with our quality we can go very far.

    "We have a lot of things to improve on, but, step by step, at least this aggression and this intensity we need to show every game."

  • Decision on new coach for Reggae Girlz to be made in a few days Decision on new coach for Reggae Girlz to be made in a few days

    Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Michael Ricketts says his organization will be announcing a new head coach for the Reggae Girlz in a matter of days.

    According to Ricketts, the JFF’s technical committee, which has the prevue of selecting a coach, will make its decision after discussions with stakeholders on Tuesday.

    According to Ricketts, the decision will be made to replace former head coach Hue Menzies, who announced his intention to leave the programme via the media more than a week ago, despite not receiving a formal resignation.

    “We haven’t gotten anything official,” said Ricketts.

    “But he has gone public [with his resignation], so we just have to take it that he will not be a part of the programme,” he said.

    Menzies announced his intention to leave the programme after four years, citing a lack of communication from the JFF regarding a new contract that had expired in August, as well as unpaid salaries and reimbursements.

    Menzies had refused to coach the team until all unpaid monies were sent his way.

    The former coach’s stance meant he missed the first round of Olympic Qualifiers with the Reggae Girlz.

    Those qualifiers still went well under the guidance of assistant coach Lorne Donaldson, with the final round of qualifiers set to take place from January 28 to February 9, 2020.

    Donaldson’s performance is reported to have made him frontrunner for the job, however, the assistant has hinted at reservations about taking the new post.

  • Ribery set to miss 10 weeks after ankle surgery Ribery set to miss 10 weeks after ankle surgery

    Fiorentina star Franck Ribery is set to miss 10 weeks after undergoing surgery on his ankle on Saturday.

    Ribery, 36, suffered the injury during Fiorentina's 1-0 loss to Lecce in Serie A on November 30.

    Fiorentina announced on Saturday that the French attacker had undergone surgery and they expect him to resume full training in around 10 weeks' time.

    "Franck Ribery today underwent surgery for stabilisation of the tibiofibular syndesmosis," a club statement read.

    "The operation, carried out by Professor Gabel, was a complete success.

    "The player will return to Florence on Sunday and begin his rehabilitation plan. He will resume exercise in two weeks.

    "[He] is expected to resume full training in around 10 weeks' time."

    Ribery has scored two goals and provided two assists in 11 league matches this season.

    Fiorentina, who are struggling in 13th in Serie A, host league leaders Inter on Sunday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.