MotoGP Raceweek: Miller plays down Ducati swap 'rumours' as Quartararo sets pace

By Sports Desk November 15, 2019

Jack Miller insists he has heard nothing more than "rumours" that he might swap teams with Ducati rider Danilo Petrucci next year.

Miller, 24, has four podium finishes with Alma Pramac Racing this MotoGP season, sitting eighth in the riders' standings, 27 points behind Petrucci.

Amid talk the pair could be swapping teams ahead of 2020, Miller – fourth fastest in Valencia Grand Prix practice on Friday – played down the speculation.

The Australian said, according to MotoGP.com: "There have been rumours around for the last weeks, but I haven't heard anything about them yet."

Miller could be set to contend for his second MotoGP victory and first since 2016 after a fine showing in practice, which was led by Petronas Yamaha SRT's Fabio Quartararo.

The Frenchman's time of one minute, 30.735 seconds saw him lead the pack ahead of Maverick Vinales and world champion Marc Marquez.

While Quartararo – who is sixth in the riders' standings – was pleased, the 20-year-old said his team had work to do if he was going to secure a first MotoGP victory on Sunday.

"It feels good to make such an improvement from one year ago at the test when I was in P17," he said on Yamaha's website.

"It shows our progress and it's a reward for our effort, and we'll continue to work in the same way going forward.

"We know that time attacks are one of our strengths, but we're not quite there yet on race pace. We need to work on the bike and find a good strategy to improve tomorrow.

"We're not far away, but we'll try our best tonight to find the issues and fix them."

Related items

  • Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57 Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57

    Carlos Sainz added another Dakar Rally title to his glittering CV on Friday, winning the event for the third time at the age of 57.

    The rally legend had previously triumphed in 2010 and 2018 and led from the third stage this year.

    He finished six minutes and 21 seconds ahead of defending champion Nasser al-Attiyah.

    Fernando Alonso, making his debut at the event, finished in 13th. 

    The two-time Formula One world champion was among those to pay tribute to the two-time World Rally champion, posting a video of him congratulating Sainz on his Instagram page.

    Sainz's son, Carlos Sainz Jr, wrote of his father on Twitter: "3 Dakars, 3 different brands, 57 years, same passion, same desire, same motivation. 

    "The pride I feel as a son right now is very difficult to explain so I can't think of anything else to say. You're the p*** amo! [the best]."

    On his own Twitter page, Sainz hailed co-driver Lucas Cruz, posting: "CHAMPIONS! This 3rd Dakar has been very hard but we have enjoyed it!

    "I'm still having fun, and we've been on the attack every day. Great @LucasCruz74 and thank you all for your support these weeks."

  • Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash

    Fernando Alonso is determined to make up ground at the Dakar Rally after suffering a significant crash on Wednesday.

    Alonso's vehicle was without a windshield after dramatically flipping down a sand dune at high speed.

    The two-time Formula One world champion continued driving without a windshield after an incident which halted him for over an hour. 

    "All good and ready!! Looking forward to recovering ground," Alonso wrote on Instagram ahead of Thursday's resumption of the race.

    Alonso and co-driver Marc Coma finished Wednesday's stage 10 in 55th position out of the 64 runners, one hour and 17 minutes off the pace.

    They are faring better in the overall standings, though, sitting in 14th place. 

    Stage 10 came to an early halt after organisers halted proceedings 345km into the day's racing due to strong winds.

  • Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash

    Charles Leclerc has vowed there will be no repeat of the incident that saw him crash with Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel in Brazil.

    The pair collided in the penultimate grand prix of the 2019 Formula One season as their long-running rivalry came to a head in an embarrassing incident for the Scuderia, with both drivers forced to retire.

    Team principal Mattia Binotto insisted the air had been cleared and Leclerc ​– who in December signed fresh terms until 2024 – is confident the pair can use their competitive nature to positive effect this season.

    "We are extremely competitive and sometimes on track we might have some frictions," Leclerc told Autosport.

    "But in the end we are mature enough to know that what happened on track is on track and off it we are different.

    "The most important thing is we work together well off track to develop the car in the best way possible and of course not exceed the limits when we are on track like we have seen in Brazil.

    "But I think it was a good lesson for both of us and it won't happen again."

    Leclerc, 10 years Vettel's junior, finished 24 points ahead of his team-mate in the standings last season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.