MotoGP Raceweek: Fabio Quartararo eyeing first win after rare Marc Marquez mistake

By Sports Desk November 02, 2019

Fabio Quartararo will hope a rare mistake from in-form Marc Marquez can help him claim a first MotoGP victory at the Malaysian Grand Prix.

In the penultimate race of a 2019 season utterly dominated by six-time world champion Marquez, Quartararo will head Maverick Vinales and Franco Morbidelli in an all-Yamaha front row.

Marquez, meanwhile, will start in 11th position after crashing in Q2, suffering a vicious highside when he sought a tow from Quartararo in a dramatic session.

Jack Miller and Cal Crutchlow are the top Ducati and Honda riders respectively, with Valentino Rossi completing the second row in sixth.

Alex Rins, third in the riders' championship, starts seventh, with Andrea Dovizioso, who is second overall, down in 10th, just one grid spot ahead of Marquez.

Records have tumbled this season as Marquez has 11 wins and five runners-up finishes from 17 races, retiring just once in Austin.

The Repsol Honda star has won five straight going into this race in Malaysia, the home of Quartararo and Morbidelli's Petronas Yamaha team.

But Marquez's qualifying crash gives pole-sitter Quartararo a strong chance to cap a superb first season in the premier class with a maiden race triumph.

Quartararo, who also set two lap records in practice on Friday, has claimed his fifth pole in 2019 but is yet to finish on the top step.

The Frenchman, who this week received confirmation he will ride the factory-spec Yamaha in 2020, said: "We came to Malaysia from a tough weekend in Australia and we've suffered a lot to get to here. 

"But it's the home race for the team and, while they've not put pressure on us, they clearly want us to perform. 

"That makes the pole position very special for me and the double front row even more special for the team. I'm feeling good for the race; like we're ready to go now." 

 

FELLOW YAMAHAS IN THE MIX

Marquez and Dovizioso may still pose a threat from further back on the grid, but even if they do not, Vinales and Morbidelli will provide competition from closer to home, a gap of just 0.129secs having covered the front three.

Vinales is one of only five riders to have won a race this season but crashed out last week in Australia when he looked to be on course for victory before a last-lap duel with Marquez.

Despite his retirement coming when he was going for glory last time out, Vinales has no plans to change his approach.

"I will try to take the lead in the first corner and then I will push at my maximum from the beginning," he said.

"Like I've said before, we have nothing to lose and everything to win, so we're going to push, push, and push, and we'll see."

Morbidelli, meanwhile, has shown strong qualifying pace in the second half of the season but is yet to translate that into a podium finish.

Rossi is also within striking distance, desperate to end a 14-race streak without finishing in the top three. It is also 44 races since he has won, the joint-worst stretch of the 40-year-old's storied career.

 

MARQUEZ EYEING RECORD POINTS HAUL

Marquez's qualifying result was his worst since the Italian Grand Prix back in 2015 but despite that, he will like his chances of breaking another record this weekend.

This time he is looking to get the best points tally in a single MotoGP season. He needs nine points to better the record held by his team-mate Jorge Lorenzo, which is 383 points from the 2010 campaign.

"I'm OK, but of course I'm painful around the body - it was a big crash," Marquez said after qualifying.

"We set up the bike in a way to have the good race rhythm, but we were struggling for one lap pace.

"I just maybe changed [direction] a little bit too aggressive and honestly speaking I'm more disappointed to start 11th than for the crash.

"Yamaha riders, when they have new tyres, are very fast. I was behind Quartararo, he changed direction and I tried to copy. But I just flew.

"We will see what we can do. From 11th it will be difficult, even if we did have a good rhythm in FP4."

If Marquez can recover to make the podium, it will be his 17th top-three finish of the season, topping his previous best haul of 16.

THE GRID

1. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha)
2. Maverick Vinales (Monster Energy Yamaha)
3. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha)
4. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing)
5. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda)
6. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha)
7. Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar)
8. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati)
9. Johann Zarco (LCR Honda)
10. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati)
11. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda)
12. Francesco Bagnaia (Pramac Racing)

PREVIOUS WINNERS

2018: Marc Marquez
2017: Andrea Dovizioso
2016: Andrea Dovizioso
2015: Dani Pedrosa

TITLE STANDINGS

Riders

1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) 375
2. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 240 (-135)
3. Alex Rins (Suzuki Ecstar) 183 (-192)
4. Maverick Vinales (Monster Energy Yamaha) 176 (-199)
5. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati) 169 (-206)

Teams

1. Ducati 409
2. Repsol Honda 408 (-1)
3. Monster Energy Yamaha 329 (-80)
4. Petronas Yamaha 268 (-141)
5. Suzuki Ecstar 264 (-145)

WEATHER FORECAST

Sunday's race will be hot – with temperatures at around 30 degrees Celcius – and humid. The unknown is whether it will be a dry race, with the present chance of rain rated at around 25 per cent, but changing regularly.

Related items

  • Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57 Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57

    Carlos Sainz added another Dakar Rally title to his glittering CV on Friday, winning the event for the third time at the age of 57.

    The rally legend had previously triumphed in 2010 and 2018 and led from the third stage this year.

    He finished six minutes and 21 seconds ahead of defending champion Nasser al-Attiyah.

    Fernando Alonso, making his debut at the event, finished in 13th. 

    The two-time Formula One world champion was among those to pay tribute to the two-time World Rally champion, posting a video of him congratulating Sainz on his Instagram page.

    Sainz's son, Carlos Sainz Jr, wrote of his father on Twitter: "3 Dakars, 3 different brands, 57 years, same passion, same desire, same motivation. 

    "The pride I feel as a son right now is very difficult to explain so I can't think of anything else to say. You're the p*** amo! [the best]."

    On his own Twitter page, Sainz hailed co-driver Lucas Cruz, posting: "CHAMPIONS! This 3rd Dakar has been very hard but we have enjoyed it!

    "I'm still having fun, and we've been on the attack every day. Great @LucasCruz74 and thank you all for your support these weeks."

  • Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash

    Fernando Alonso is determined to make up ground at the Dakar Rally after suffering a significant crash on Wednesday.

    Alonso's vehicle was without a windshield after dramatically flipping down a sand dune at high speed.

    The two-time Formula One world champion continued driving without a windshield after an incident which halted him for over an hour. 

    "All good and ready!! Looking forward to recovering ground," Alonso wrote on Instagram ahead of Thursday's resumption of the race.

    Alonso and co-driver Marc Coma finished Wednesday's stage 10 in 55th position out of the 64 runners, one hour and 17 minutes off the pace.

    They are faring better in the overall standings, though, sitting in 14th place. 

    Stage 10 came to an early halt after organisers halted proceedings 345km into the day's racing due to strong winds.

  • Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash

    Charles Leclerc has vowed there will be no repeat of the incident that saw him crash with Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel in Brazil.

    The pair collided in the penultimate grand prix of the 2019 Formula One season as their long-running rivalry came to a head in an embarrassing incident for the Scuderia, with both drivers forced to retire.

    Team principal Mattia Binotto insisted the air had been cleared and Leclerc ​– who in December signed fresh terms until 2024 – is confident the pair can use their competitive nature to positive effect this season.

    "We are extremely competitive and sometimes on track we might have some frictions," Leclerc told Autosport.

    "But in the end we are mature enough to know that what happened on track is on track and off it we are different.

    "The most important thing is we work together well off track to develop the car in the best way possible and of course not exceed the limits when we are on track like we have seen in Brazil.

    "But I think it was a good lesson for both of us and it won't happen again."

    Leclerc, 10 years Vettel's junior, finished 24 points ahead of his team-mate in the standings last season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.