MotoGP Raceweek: Marquez criticises 'slow mode' Lorenzo after FP2 contact

By Sports Desk October 25, 2019

Marc Marquez criticised Jorge Lorenzo for taking up the racing line in "slow mode" after the two made contact at the end of FP2 at the Australian Grand Prix on Friday.

The Repsol Honda team-mates were close to crashing when Marquez made a final push to guarantee a top-10 spot in what is expected to be the only dry practice session and thus boost his chances of going straight into Q2.

Lorenzo hugged the inside of turn 11, forcing the newly crowned six-time MotoGP champion to take a wider line. The pair touched and one of the wings flew off Lorenzo's bike.

Marquez made a sleeping gesture to his fellow Spaniard when they stopped on the track at the end of the session and then shook his head. However, he assured there were no issues between the two.

The 26-year-old said: "Of course, in the first moment I was upset because now we cannot forget that free practice means qualifying practice, I mean you need to go directly into Qualifying 2 and the forecast for tomorrow looks like rain 100 per cent.

"So it was my last chance, I was on a very fast lap and I tried to overtake him in the best way for me to not lose time. But we need to pay attention, because we cannot ride in a slow mode in the middle of the line.

"Of course, he will say there was no space. But you need to check behind, you need to understand and be out of the racing line. Apart from that, I was angry at first, but then I was in his office and we speak together. No problem."

Lorenzo said: "Unfortunately, right at the end I didn't look back to see I had three or four riders behind me, I tried to be as far on the inside as possible but Marc and I were a little too close."

Marquez ended the day sixth fastest, with Lorenzo down in 16th, although the reigning champion was quickest in a tyre test session that saw him make a phenomenal save from a 70.8 degree lean angle.

Maverick Vinales posted the fastest free practice time of one minute and 28.824 seconds, 0.496 seconds quicker than Andrea Dovizioso who took second ahead of Cal Crutchlow.

Danilo Petrucci and home favourite Jack Miller with fourth and fifth respectively.

Related items

  • Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57 Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57

    Carlos Sainz added another Dakar Rally title to his glittering CV on Friday, winning the event for the third time at the age of 57.

    The rally legend had previously triumphed in 2010 and 2018 and led from the third stage this year.

    He finished six minutes and 21 seconds ahead of defending champion Nasser al-Attiyah.

    Fernando Alonso, making his debut at the event, finished in 13th. 

    The two-time Formula One world champion was among those to pay tribute to the two-time World Rally champion, posting a video of him congratulating Sainz on his Instagram page.

    Sainz's son, Carlos Sainz Jr, wrote of his father on Twitter: "3 Dakars, 3 different brands, 57 years, same passion, same desire, same motivation. 

    "The pride I feel as a son right now is very difficult to explain so I can't think of anything else to say. You're the p*** amo! [the best]."

    On his own Twitter page, Sainz hailed co-driver Lucas Cruz, posting: "CHAMPIONS! This 3rd Dakar has been very hard but we have enjoyed it!

    "I'm still having fun, and we've been on the attack every day. Great @LucasCruz74 and thank you all for your support these weeks."

  • Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash

    Fernando Alonso is determined to make up ground at the Dakar Rally after suffering a significant crash on Wednesday.

    Alonso's vehicle was without a windshield after dramatically flipping down a sand dune at high speed.

    The two-time Formula One world champion continued driving without a windshield after an incident which halted him for over an hour. 

    "All good and ready!! Looking forward to recovering ground," Alonso wrote on Instagram ahead of Thursday's resumption of the race.

    Alonso and co-driver Marc Coma finished Wednesday's stage 10 in 55th position out of the 64 runners, one hour and 17 minutes off the pace.

    They are faring better in the overall standings, though, sitting in 14th place. 

    Stage 10 came to an early halt after organisers halted proceedings 345km into the day's racing due to strong winds.

  • Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash

    Charles Leclerc has vowed there will be no repeat of the incident that saw him crash with Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel in Brazil.

    The pair collided in the penultimate grand prix of the 2019 Formula One season as their long-running rivalry came to a head in an embarrassing incident for the Scuderia, with both drivers forced to retire.

    Team principal Mattia Binotto insisted the air had been cleared and Leclerc ​– who in December signed fresh terms until 2024 – is confident the pair can use their competitive nature to positive effect this season.

    "We are extremely competitive and sometimes on track we might have some frictions," Leclerc told Autosport.

    "But in the end we are mature enough to know that what happened on track is on track and off it we are different.

    "The most important thing is we work together well off track to develop the car in the best way possible and of course not exceed the limits when we are on track like we have seen in Brazil.

    "But I think it was a good lesson for both of us and it won't happen again."

    Leclerc, 10 years Vettel's junior, finished 24 points ahead of his team-mate in the standings last season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.